Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-26-2011, 12:58 PM   #1

2004 fleetwood revolution front end clunk????

Thank you in advance for any assistance or information anyone can offer!

My concern is a cracking or popping noise originating from the front end. The noise has progressively worsen. It can be replicated by turning right and when the suspension unloads and loads back up the pop/crack occurs. Just last night I was able to make it occur by swerving quickly left to right, loading and unloading suspension, in the middle of a crowned road. I thought the problem was the RH front shock, so I completely removed it last night and noted no change is frequency or tone of the noise. It is a consistent crack upon loading and another crack upon unloading.

Another concern which may be related and also may not be related is upon firm braking a crack noise originates from the brakes. I have read this concern is most likely the s-cams, which needs to be lubricated and serviced.

1) Can the s-cam noise occur when the suspension is loaded and unloaded without any input from the brakes? Or am I reaching?
2) Can the noise be from the Kwik step shifting around? Has anyone had this problem traced to the steps?
3) Should I remove the LH shock? I say this because when I checked the RH side shock prior to removing it I noticed it was not tight at the upper mount point!
4) Can the generator move around and cause this cracking/clanking noise? Has anyone traced this kind of concern to the Generator?
5) Though the sway bar appears secure, should I remove it and then road test it? Has anyone had this noise concern traced to the sway bar?
6) Can the leaf springs cause this type of noise? My leaf springs has a strange looking type of add on thin/shim type additional leaf on both the top and bottom of the leaf spring. Can this be a concern? I have somewhere a band clamp around the spring helps? Do I need to clamp it?

Thanks again guys for any assistance,

Jack Martz
jackmartz1 Posts: 2Joined: Thu Apr 21, 2011 1:02 pm
revolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-26-2011, 03:41 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
I have the same problem and have had it back to the dealer once. They didn't have time to really look at it and I'm headed back to them next week. Best guess is the generator is moving around on it's tray, as if something, a track or support, is loose.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 03:55 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Get under the front end with all your big combo wrenches 5/8 to 1-1/4" , and 1/2" or 3/4" drive sockets and tighten everything up really tight. Especially the leaf spring to frame mounting brackets. This fixed mine. See my posting in Ford chassis forum, "knocking/cluncking"
Old 10-27-2011, 11:45 AM   #4

help??

Thank you again, for all your responses thus far!!! You guys all rock!!! Please keep the suggestions coming!!!

1) Should I remove the LH shock? I say this because when I checked the RH side shock prior to removing it I noticed it was not tight at the upper mount point!

***** update - replaced front shocks with monroes, no difference

2) Though the sway bar appears secure, should I remove it and then road test it?

***** update - detached sway bar, notice no difference

3) Can the leaf springs cause this type of noise? My leaf springs has a strange looking type of add on thin/shim type additional leaf on both the top and bottom of the leaf spring. Can this be a concern? I have somewhere a band clamp around the spring helps? Do I need to clamp it?

***** update - read somewhere to soak it with chain lube, did not help!

***** update - read somewhere to add a clamp band around the spring and this odd add a leaf, only did this to the LEFT side because it appeared to have lots of play, will now add one to the RH side and test again

4) I had the entire coach looked at about a year ago by C&S RV and that stated everything looks good and normal

So as of now, I am still stumped!!! I hope someone has had this concern before, please chime in with more suggestions!!!

Thanks again,

Jack Martz
Old 10-27-2011, 01:05 PM   #5

Jack....you're spending a lot of time, energy and patience on this concern, understandably so. We've all done it. We all understand that it can be really difficult to pinpoint an underneath noise as you described via a computer. What worked for someone else in the past may or may not work for you.

Your call, but if it were me (and it HAS been in the past, believe me!), I would bite the bullet and take the coach to the experts....those guys that make a living fixing these things at your friendly Freightliner dealership. (I believe on another forum you mentioned that you have a FLiner chassis.) Find one that works on RV's and has a tech that specializes in servicing primarily Class A MH's. (Our local FLiner store is exactly as I described....and they have treated me quite fairly.) Many times, they have seen a MH or FLiner concern or problem before, versus an independent shop that may not be that aware of specific chassis issues. Remember that underneath your awesome coach is a heavy duty truck chassis that shares certain components with their 18-wheeler cousins. They are industrial strength products and, all too often, are very resistant to being diagnosed and/or fixed with ordinary hand tools. Maybe it is something that is very simple to identify and fix. Who knows at this point? But I would sure get a GOOD Freightliner guy involved. Absolutely NOT trying to discourage you, 'cause I've been where you are. Just MO.

Hang in there! Once again, please let us know how you make out....it well really help all of us. Many Thanks!!
Old 10-28-2011, 11:52 AM   #6

I agree with you wholeheartedly! My problem is trusting a shop to do the task at hand! I am willing to pay what needs to be paid but just don't trust shops anymore! I have found better luck probing around online for ideas and rectifying my problems on my own.

Does anybody have a good referral for a shop near Ventura County? I want to fix this problem but I just do not have the patience for incompetent shops!

Thanks again,

Jack Martz
Old 10-30-2011, 08:56 PM   #7

Frt susp nois

Jack,
Have you checked the frt wheet bearings? They should be SEMCO BEARINGS which run in oil. Depending on the miles on the coach and possilbe failure of the seals/bearing, you might get a noise as you shift the direction/weight of coach from right to left and reserve. Also have you check the lash on the steering gear. This should not be a problem, but good to check. The S cam noise is mostly on hard stops in which the breakes jump/skip as the pressure to stop reaches the max. The description of your frt leaf springs are the same as my FL chassis. Have not had any problem with them. They are a very simple assembly. The entire frt steering asembly is very, very strong. If properly lubed and watched after, it should have very few problems. Hope you find the problem. Drive safe.
JB
JBDISCOVERY is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fleetwood