Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-11-2007, 03:10 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to GerryB54 Send a message via Skype™ to GerryB54
I've always marveled at some forum people who buy an RV, then ask for opinions, trying to avoid that...

This is the 34F floor plan...wondering about the Workhorse 22 chassis, the gas powered Vortec 8.1L V8 and the three slides...can it get down the road without major problems?

What is the general consensus on Bounder build quality?...most I've read here are pleased, and lots of repeat Fleetwood buyers.

I've found a local private sale on this model with most options and 15000 miles...negotiated down from $80K to $70K...I think I'm in a good price position, am I?

Also, not a big mileage watcher, but what should I expect here?...I tow a Jeep GC Laredo most times.

Thanks in advance, may be joining the Class A crowd after almost 30 years in six Class Cs...may have one for sale soon?...
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-11-2007, 03:10 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
2005 Bounder 34F - Purchased & Update w/Pics

I've always marveled at some forum people who buy an RV, then ask for opinions, trying to avoid that...

This is the 34F floor plan...wondering about the Workhorse 22 chassis, the gas powered Vortec 8.1L V8 and the three slides...can it get down the road without major problems?

What is the general consensus on Bounder build quality?...most I've read here are pleased, and lots of repeat Fleetwood buyers.

I've found a local private sale on this model with most options and 15000 miles...negotiated down from $80K to $70K...I think I'm in a good price position, am I?

Also, not a big mileage watcher, but what should I expect here?...I tow a Jeep GC Laredo most times.

Thanks in advance, may be joining the Class A crowd after almost 30 years in six Class Cs...may have one for sale soon?...
Old 08-11-2007, 06:50 PM   #3
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
GerryB54-

Being a Bounder owner, I'll take a stab at some of your questions.

I'm going to assume this is a gas rather than a diesel 'cuz I think the 34F only comes in gas.

We've got the Ford chassis, so I'll have to leave that question of yours up to those that have Workhorse's, but I would think that it shouldn't be any problem.

We've been happy with our Bounder. We're on our 2nd season with it & it's done very well for us. So far, only normal maintenance. Gets decent mileage (approx 7-7.5 alone & about 6-6.5 when towing, allowing for terrain/road conditions).

The price sounds decent. I ran NADA based on year, mileage & stuck in options that our model has that I'd think would've been in a 2005. Low retail displayed $77,396/high retail $93,322. You might want to get a list of options on the one you're looking at & run the calc again for accuracy. I also did a quick search on rvtraderonline. Although a 34F didn't come up specifically, most 2005 Bounders that showed prices seemed to be in the mid $80,000 range (except for that one ad from Sirpilla - don't know what the heck they're thinking on that price!).

How much does your Laredo weigh (GVWR)? I know the gas Bounders come with a 5000 lb hitch. Check to be sure this 34F's hitch is rated to tow your vehicle.

Good luck with your purchase. Keep us posted!

L-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 03:23 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Sorry, yes it is a gas unit.

My Jeep weighs in around 4300 lbs. and I tow it now with a 5000 lb. capacity hitch.

Thanks for your observations and advice.
Old 08-12-2007, 04:58 AM   #5

Gerry,that floorplan is just like ours,we like it a lot.You should be fine with the workhorse,both chassis can handle that size mh. I tow my wifes car,around 4300 lb's,and it pulls fine.We looked at bounders before we bought ours and they were right up there on the quality. Good luck.

2006 FOUR WINDS HURRICANE 34N F-53
Frankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 06:23 AM   #6

Gerry,

I have an '05 Bounder 36Z on the Workhorse W20 chassis which has the 8.1 engine. I towed a full sized Chevy pickup for 18 months with no problems. I even climbed Teton Pass towing it with no trouble. The only major problem I encountered was the Actia display. It crapped out at about 6K miles but was replaced by Workhorse at no charge. I've got 16K miles now and it's fine.

I can't comment on the price but if you're happy with it then it's a good price

Margaret - She who must be obeyed.
Tincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 02:00 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Frankie:
Gerry,that floorplan is just like ours,we like it a lot.You should be fine with the workhorse,both chassis can handle that size mh. I tow my wifes car,around 4300 lb's,and it pulls fine.We looked at bounders before we bought ours and they were right up there on the quality. Good luck. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Frankie, We seem to be stuck on the kitchen slide interfering with the usable "under awning" space...how do you feel about your curbside/awning slide?

I would be looking at the Four Winds products, but I'm tired of the short queen, and the Hurricane and Windsport both use the 60" x 74" queen (as does Winnie)...so I'm not considering them.

See you somewhere soon...
Old 08-12-2007, 05:34 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Over the years we've had several different RV's - mostly fifth wheels - and we learn the shortcomings of different designs as we go. My concern with the floorplan is the kitchen on the slide. Our last fifth wheel had that configuration and we had nothing but trouble with the kitchen sink draining properly. Since the sink moves with the slide, the drain needs to be a flex line rather than a rigid line. On ours the flex line tended to sag when the slide went out - that caused a large "trap" that the draining water needed to overcome. The typical situation was one sink would back up into the other sink, then both would slowly drain into the tank. The dealer tried to fix it several times, and I tried a few solutions as well -the final solution was to trade it in on our new Bounder 35E.
Old 08-13-2007, 02:56 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Alan...that's an unusual problem, one worth considering, thanks.

Tincup, you refer to the Actia display, is this the odometer/gear display? If so, I was looking at a 2005 35E the other day where this was all scrambled...couldn't see a thing...owner said the WH part was at the dealer waiting for him...I was concerned abut the mileage he claimed was on the RV...
Old 08-13-2007, 05:58 PM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
We have a 2004 34F and it works and rides GOOD.drives well, trans shift perfect and with out anything behind at 60MPH we get 8.3 mpg all the time. Live in the mountains and works well.Slideouts are smooth and NO problems. Good Luck
Old 08-14-2007, 03:02 AM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by travel:
We have a 2004 34F and it works and rides GOOD.drives well, trans shift perfect and with out anything behind at 60MPH we get 8.3 mpg all the time. Live in the mountains and works well.Slideouts are smooth and NO problems. Good Luck </div></BLOCKQUOTE>travel, How do you like the kitchen curbside slide and the main patio awning? We're concerned about loss of awning space for outside entertaining.
Old 08-16-2007, 02:44 AM   #12

I have a 2007 35E and love it. It is on the Workhorse chasis. You can't go wrong with the Allison Tranny. Bounder has great floor plans, build quality and is a lot of coach for the money.
dickfrompasadena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 05:19 AM   #13

GerryB85,

Yes, the Actia display has all your gauges and speedomoter, etc. If the display is scrambled the actual mileage is retained in memory which is not internal to the display. So when the new display is installed, about a 1 hour job, the correct mileage will be displayed. I don't know of a way to verify the mileage without the new Actia panel.

Margaret - She who must be obeyed.
Tincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 05:33 AM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks all for posting your comments and observations, it really helps.

Had a Workhorse recall issue that could have been holding up the deal, but looks like it will be addressed next week before we get there.