RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-21-2020, 06:15 PM   #1

Question 2005 Bounder Yes or No

Hello all

Im new to this forum and new to the class A and Class C motor homes. I have been camping in tents and travel trailers and now own a Park Model that does not move. At the time when we got it I was working long hours and could not get away except for the weekend. My wife and I are retired and was looking to upgrade I guess to a Class A or Class C motor home. Home Base is in west Michigan and look to use it for a month or so in the summer and about 3 months of the winter. Im sick of the real cold winters here and looking at going south.

I would be pulling a 2018 Chevy Equinox as a toad.

Driving to take a look at this is not a problem BUT It is a 300 mile one way trip.

I found a 2005 Bounder DP with a 300 HP Cat engine. This is all the info I have been able to find out

From the dealer.
Thank you for the interest in Hilltop RV and the products we represent. The Bounder was a local trade that we originally Sold to the last customer. It has 94K miles on a 300HP 5.9 Cummins Engine, a Allison transmission, newer tires (2018) All RV Systems work. It has a new Table and chairs (past owner had taken booth out) Rides and drives great. Has washer/dryer, dual a/cís, tons of storage. What is a good e-mail or phone number to get ahold of you ? I will have one of my Consultants get in touch with you, and get a video and answer more questions for you.

https://nmi.craigslist.org/rvd/d/wel...221495658.html

Questions Im guessing I would get about 10 MPG on this correct?

Any problems common to this engine or the MH in general I should be aware of?

I have no idea if this is something I should be looking at or run away from. Any Help[ would be great.

Thanks all
RJ8450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-21-2020, 07:21 PM   #2

10 MPG is excellent. Sounds a bit high. Undoubtedly will drop to the 7.5 to 8.5 area when pulling that huge toad. Make sure you get all the towing specs because you might need to beef up the towing capacity.

Also you need to let us know whether it's a Cat or a Cummins. You mention the Cat and the dealer mentions a Cummins. That would have been the last year Cat made an engine for RVs I believe.

Bounders are a good quality machine. The Winnie I own now is almost a carbon copy of the one you showed in the link except I have a N-S bed.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 07:46 PM   #3

My Mistake it is the Cummins engine.

Also I was wondering if anyone had links to how this year and model was made?
RJ8450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 08:54 PM   #4

Those old Fleetwood coaches still had a lot of quality workmanship in them. That 5.9 Cummins engine is on the edge of the needed HP & torque. It's a really tough engine and there are add-ons to add power.
Typically the older Bounders have 100 gallons of fresh water and 2 50 gallon waste tanks. So you can stay off grid for a few days. That coach came out with 4 6 volts house batteries and 2 engine batteries.
I believe it will serve you well.

Richard
Old 11-22-2020, 02:11 AM   #5

We have a 2007 Bounder diesel we are very happy with. It has the 300hp CAT7 engine though. The coach is well made.
Old 11-22-2020, 08:55 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
RJ...I would buy that unit all day long. IMHO the Fleetwood Bounders are a very good value. I have had two...first was a 2000 39Z with the Cummins 5.9 and now the 2008.

Pulling a Jeep Wrangler with the 5.9 I was able to squeeze 10mpg on occasion...but it was more like 9mpg all around. Yours won't be a speed demon pulling that Equinox...but it will get you there.

Good luck with your decision.
mevman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 11:17 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Hi RJ,

Iíll throw in our recent experience, which is similar to yours.
A year ago, we decided to upgrade to a DP from our gasser. Eventually, we found one private party, at a price we were willing to negotiate from; 2005 Providence, a kissing cousin to the Bounder. We have been very happy with the older Fleetwoodís, this is our 3rd.

So to make a long story (even longer), be prepared to layout more cash (this is most likely going to be that case with any coach.

It being 300 mi away isnít going to help but here is what Iíve learned:

1) ask for service records, being from a dealer you probably wonít get
2) when inspecting, turn on every switch, check every light, make sure every outlet works (gen and inverter), run generator during entire inspection, run ac units, run heaters, water heater (electric and gas), read up on air systems for suspension and brakes, check battery age (chassis 2 12v and coach 4 6v, if possible check roof condition, and of course a test drive.
2) ask to get a sample of oil and perhaps coolant from the engine and generator and have it analyzed
3) presuming you wonít have service records, youíll have a long list of maintenance items you may want to consider;
belts, hoses, thermostats, coolant, air filter, fuel filters, oil and oil filters (for engine and gen), air system dryer service, trans oil and filters, chassis lube....Iím sure there is more but you get the idea.

I bring all of this up, not to scare you, but to prepare you as these could be negotiable points for the purchase. If you are capable of doing some or all of the listed tasks, you will save significantly after the sale. If not, the labor will be significant for the maintenance items listed.

Just a comparison for ya, when we bought out coach a year ago, we spent nearly 20k more for our 05 with 25k miles....so the price point is pretty attractive.

Good luck on you endeavor!
Old 11-22-2020, 02:21 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

2004-2006 was probably the heyday for Fleetwood coaches, including the Bounder. You probably know the Bounder diesel is just above being an entry level model, but they enjoyed a solid reputation. If this one is clean and well-maintained, it should yield a good experience. But RV dealers are rarely totally truthful, so verify everything.

I would guess that 10 mpg is a bit optimistic; an average of 7.5-9.0 sounds right to me. Depending on how you drive and the type of highway. Motorhomes yield the best mpg when cruising the interstate at around 60-64 mph.

The photos look clean and the asking price is decent, so one has to wonder why it is still on the sales lot after 26 days? Be prepared for some disappointments when you see it.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 07:32 PM   #9
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
We had an 06 gas Bounder. It was solid as a rock. Our only major issue was a bad bedroom slide motor. As Gary mentioned, Bounders of that era are great coaches.

I'd have it inspected by an independent party, like a level 2 inspector from NRVIA. It's well worth the money to be sure you are getting a reliable coach.

Lori-
There is great need for a sarcasm font.
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 08:29 PM   #10

One of the biggest killers to an RV is water damage. Be sure to check around Windows, slides and roof fixtures for soft spots in walls an such.
Jthigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 09:53 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
I bought a 2002 Discovery 38P that at first glance, appeared very well maintained. I expected an 18 year-old coach to have some issues and after looking really close, I found them. Deblas' recommendations hit it on the head...inspect everything!

I took my coach in for an oil change that ended up costing over $5000. Had to replace all 4 suspension airbags (due to dry rot), water pump, thermostats, exhaust gaskets, engine cooling fan, steer tires (due to dry rot).

Aside from those major issues, I've spent the last month fixing things like broken wires, loose trim, bulbs and fuses, light fixtures, window seals and gaskets, furnace circuit boards, etc.

Oddly enough we're still pleased with the coach and are excited about finally getting to take it on its (our) first trip. It's out first RV and it checked most of the boxes for what we wanted. There's still a lot I don't know about Rv's, but I've learned a lot in the last month too! Check EVERYTHING.
GA981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:48 AM   #12

We bought a 2006 Bounder 38N with the 300HP Cat 3 years ago. It is a very good unit and we would not hesitate to buy another one. Gave it a face lift inside and and few upgrades. Our milage is 7.5 to 8.0 most of the time.
surfecho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:29 PM   #13

We have a 2002 5.9 38' Diesel Bounder owner in our FMCA chapter. He consistently gets 9.5-10.5 MPG pulling a small Ford Toad. He sets his cruse control on 65 MPH. I've seen the records he keeps. The C7 Cat will out perform the old 5.7 Cummins but the Cat will eat more fuel doing it.

Richard
Old Yesterday, 09:20 PM   #14

I have a 2005 34h Bounder that we are very happy with. It has the 300hp Cat and averages 7.5 on mileage. It's a very well built coach.
sawmillman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bounder