Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-11-2020, 09:43 AM   #1

2005 Discovery Strange Problem with CAT 330 engine

When first starting out the coach does not accelerate regardless of how much throttle you give it. It appears to be worse when the engine is not up to temp. When first starting from idle it just will not get over 1000 RPM. Then it all of a sudden starts accelerating and then seems to work fine. This hesitation is anywhere from 3 or 4 seconds to several minutes depending on the engine temp.

The biggest problem is pulling out in traffic because you just are not sure if it will accelerate enough to merge in traffic especially if starting out on a hill.

Not sure if this is a turbo problem or something else causing the long hesitation.

Any ideas?
Sirjohnesq4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-11-2020, 11:46 AM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I had a problem with poor acceleration and bogging down within a minute of start up and after pulling off of the road and idling for a minute or two. It sometimes would stumble very badly causing traffic problems. Other times there was no problem at all and once running it was fine. I added 2 cans of Seafoam to a full tank. Since I fill up at half tank I added one at the next fill up. It took a while to run it through but gradually the problem quit.

In my case I bought the coach after it had been mostly unused for quite a while and I thought that there was some restriction in the fuel system. I added the stuff about six months ago and have had no problem since.
33' 2008 National Tropical on a Freightliner chassis.We tow a 2001 XJ (Cherokee) RVM#189
Kahoona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 04:03 PM   #3

First thing I would do if you haven't already is change the fuel filters.
sawmillman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 04:26 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirjohnesq4 View Post
When first starting out the coach does not accelerate regardless of how much throttle you give it. It appears to be worse when the engine is not up to temp. When first starting from idle it just will not get over 1000 RPM. Then it all of a sudden starts accelerating and then seems to work fine. This hesitation is anywhere from 3 or 4 seconds to several minutes depending on the engine temp.

The biggest problem is pulling out in traffic because you just are not sure if it will accelerate enough to merge in traffic especially if starting out on a hill.

Not sure if this is a turbo problem or something else causing the long hesitation.

Any ideas?
Common problem on ISB Cummins, the throttle position sensor goes bad. Not too familiar with Cat 330, but if it is an electronic engine I would look there. If it is a mechanical disregard this suggestion.
FrogHollow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 04:35 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirjohnesq4 View Post

Any ideas?

Have you tried turning off and restarting
Old 10-12-2020, 06:48 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
X 2 FrogHollow's response.....
Old 10-13-2020, 02:57 PM   #7

Replace the fuel filter and water separator. On my Cummins, I fill the fuel filter with automatic transmission fluid then screw it on. This will clean out the fuel system.
Good Luck John
Old 10-13-2020, 03:58 PM   #8

I had a very similar problem with my Cat 330. Turned out to be algie had developed in the fuel tank due to extended storage in a warm climate. I changed fuel filter and separator filter and added a biocide ( BIOBOR JF) to the fuel. Now I always add biocide to the fuel at fill-up and carry extra filters in case of a problem. Although it hasn't happened again.
JHSJMS is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cat, cover, discovery, engine, problem