Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-03-2018, 05:51 PM   #1

2005 Fleetwood Expedition 38N engine heater block

I have 2005 Fleetwood Expedition 38N with the engine block heater switch on the side of the bed pedestal. The switch lights when turned on and the light goes out when turned off with no change in amperage use.
How do I determine if the block heater is working properly?
The temperature here is 75 degrees. Is there aa thermostat that keeps the heater off when not cold enough?
Thanks
McFlop
mcflop is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-03-2018, 05:57 PM   #2

My engine heater is plugged in inside the electrical bay and the switch inside turns the plug on and off. I keep mine unplugged until needed as it is easy to bump my switch.
will stevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 10:59 PM   #3

You should be able to see the top of the heater plug on the side of the block. On mine the wire comes down under the bed to the battery bay and straight over to the block. I used some metal plumbing hanger to cover the switch because of accidentally bumping it off and on.
GBDTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 06:33 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
On my '07 Excursion with the same block heater set up, I see about a 10 amp draw when the switch is actuated. I don't think there is a thermostat on the block heater circuit but I am not certain of that.
Old 01-04-2018, 09:33 AM   #5

The light on the switch by the bed comes and the plug appears to be plugged into the block but no amperage change when turned on. Ill have to check further. Maybe the block heater is bad.
Thanks
McFlop
Old 01-04-2018, 08:00 PM   #6

I just bought a new block heater for my Cummins ISL400. It measures 15 ohms. You can check that wherever it plugs in or right at the heater element. If your element reads ok then you may have wire or switch issue. You can also just check to see if you get 120 VAC to the heater itself.
Jthigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 08:04 PM   #7

Ours doesn’t have a T stat either. My AC cord goes directly to the element.
Jthigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 08:29 PM   #8

The switch on the side of the bed just turns an outlet in the closet on. The block heater is plugged into that outlet in the aft closet. Make sure it's plugged in and also make sure the outlet has power. The light on the switch by bed just means switch is on not that outlet is powered so double check it. If outlet is powered, and heater connected, and you still have no amp draw then the heater is bad. It's not thematically controlled it's just on or off. The heater itself is basically just like the heater elements in your homes water heater. You can see the heating element from left aft ext door, house battery area, heater is in side of block in water jacket
JLWoodward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 01:23 AM   #9

According to the specs, the heating element is 120 vac, 750 watt. Current draw should be about 6 amps. 15-20 OHM resistance. Turn it on, wait a 30 minutes - 1 hour and feel the element housing at the engine block. 750 watts should be unconformable to the touch. And as mentioned before no thermostat.

Our switch location allowed the AC element switch to get kicked on sometimes for DAYS! I installed a covered, latching door AC box and no more problem.
Old 01-05-2018, 01:44 PM   #10

Thanks for all the info.
I have some checking to do to see if I have a bad heater element.

Tags
engine, fleetwood, heat, heater