RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 07-08-2016, 11:08 AM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Palmdale
Posts: 70
2005 Fleetwood Southwind Flooring

Has anyone ever replaced the carpet in a 05 Southwind? The existing flooring is Armstrong but since discontinued.
__________________

cbelize is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-09-2016, 08:43 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: California Desert
Posts: 357
Not carpet, but I replaced the carpet in the LR/Kitchen area with Allure vinyl planking from Home Depot. I Like this much better than the original carpet.
__________________

__________________
2004 Southwind 32VS
2014 C-Max toad
Workhorse chassis
wilanddij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 07:29 PM   #3
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Posts: 1
Flooring replacement 2005 Southwind

Did you ever do this to the 2005? It seems the slide out rubs on the carpet, so most other forums advise against putting hardwood/LVT/planks of any kind, but did you find a way to make it work?
rriordan15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 12:03 AM   #4
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Posts: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by rriordan15 View Post
Did you ever do this to the 2005? It seems the slide out rubs on the carpet, so most other forums advise against putting hardwood/LVT/planks of any kind, but did you find a way to make it work?
Yup, I put Home Depot Allure vinyl planks in my 2004 32VS (I expect a 05 would be much the same slidewise as a 04), and use Slide Slickers to protect the flooring when putting in the slide. They are originally for carpet so you need to modify the height a little to make work with the vinyl, but they do the job. You can find them on Amazon.

Will
wilanddij44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 02:19 PM   #5
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 9
Ive been wanting to do this for while now too. But, have not found anyone that has done it. Did you need to remove the slide? What did you do around the engine cover? Thanks
Bgood115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 11:40 PM   #6
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Posts: 4
2005 Fleetwood Southwind Flooring

I did not have to remove the slide, just moved it almost all the way out while leaving enough room to slip the vinyl under it, and ensure that the slide bottomed out on top of the vinyl. You have to tape the carpet flap up to keep it out of the way.

I removed the original linoleum flooring from the kitchen area to make an even floor for the whole room. Since the vinyl is much thinner than the carpet, I added a 1/4" subfloor after I pulled up the carpet and the 1000's of staples used to fasten it down.

I didn't try to work with the engine cover or put flooring under the seats. I stopped the vinyl with a straight edge just behind the engine cover, and used a molding to join it to the carpeting. Likewise, I stopped the vinyl with a straight edge just in front of the bathroom door. I also didn't try to remove the carpet from the step surround. I just finished the vinyl with some outside corner molding to make a finished edge.
wilanddij44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 07:08 AM   #7
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2020
Location: Waxhaw, NC
Posts: 18
This has been helpful for me, too. My 99 Bounder has original carpet. I'll be tearing it out soon to put in LVT plank flooring soon. Thanks for sharing experiences!
__________________
*1999 FW Bounder 39Z Cummins DP 45Kmi
*ASE certified Class-8 diesel mechanic with 12+ years of professional experience
GreenBaja73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 08:35 AM   #8
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Lake Wales Florida
Posts: 32
Wondering if moving from carpet to vinyl plank is louder traveling?
tom3855wales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 09:12 AM   #9
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 9
Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilanddij44 View Post
I did not have to remove the slide, just moved it almost all the way out while leaving enough room to slip the vinyl under it, and ensure that the slide bottomed out on top of the vinyl. You have to tape the carpet flap up to keep it out of the way.

I removed the original linoleum flooring from the kitchen area to make an even floor for the whole room. Since the vinyl is much thinner than the carpet, I added a 1/4" subfloor after I pulled up the carpet and the 1000's of staples used to fasten it down.

I didn't try to work with the engine cover or put flooring under the seats. I stopped the vinyl with a straight edge just behind the engine cover, and used a molding to join it to the carpeting. Likewise, I stopped the vinyl with a straight edge just in front of the bathroom door. I also didn't try to remove the carpet from the step surround. I just finished the vinyl with some outside corner molding to make a finished edge.
Thank you for taking the time.
Bgood115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 01:42 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
PABO05's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 121
I have an excursion I replaced my carpet with laminate including underneath
the slides. I added insulation under my laminate after removing the vinyl
flooring and carpet. I love it.
__________________
2005 Fleetwood Excursion 39L 2017 Corvette GS 2003 Honda VTX 1994 Chevy pick up FMCA MEMBER,GOOD SAM MEMBER FCOC
PABO05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 11:24 PM   #11
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Posts: 4
2005 Fleetwood Southwind Flooring

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom3855wales View Post
Wondering if moving from carpet to vinyl plank is louder traveling?
Maybe if you're driving a DP that is very quiet. But I'm basically driving a 10 ton Chevy truck (Workhorse chassis) on leaf springs, so if there is a difference in road noise, its not noticeable.
wilanddij44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 09:29 AM   #12
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 51
On a related note - I replaced the carpeting in my 2004 Southwind with more carpet, thinking it would be warmer and better for our pets. But it's also a dirt magnet, and we are thinking or going with laminate flooring. The problem is that there are about six carriage bolts that go through the floor into the chassis, and their rounded heads stick up above the floor.

Has anyone else encountered this? How do you create a level surface to install solid flooring above the carriage bolt heads?
MilesAndSmiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 04:39 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
MrMudstud's Avatar
 
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Lafayette, LA
Posts: 395
Quote:
Originally Posted by MilesAndSmiles View Post
The problem is that there are about six carriage bolts that go through the floor into the chassis, and their rounded heads stick up above the floor.

Has anyone else encountered this? How do you create a level surface to install solid flooring above the carriage bolt heads?
Take out each carriage bolt and grind some of the top down. While the bolt is out, drill about 1/8-3/16" of wood to lower the head even further. When you put them back, it will be flushed. Did the same on my 86 Pace Arrow, it worked out well....
__________________
2003 Pace Arrow 34W, F-53 V-10 22,000#, 5-Star, Avg 7.7 MPG, ScanGauge II, 540 Watt Solar
WiFiRanger Elite Pack, WeBoost 4G-X, Voltage Booster, Progressive Industries EMS
Water Softener, Safe-T-Plus, Koni, Centramatic Balancers, CHF, Rear Trac Bar, EEZ TPMS
MrMudstud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 08:49 AM   #14
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMudstud View Post
Take out each carriage bolt and grind some of the top down. While the bolt is out, drill about 1/8-3/16" of wood to lower the head even further. When you put them back, it will be flushed. Did the same on my 86 Pace Arrow, it worked out well....
Thanks! That's a great idea. I just have to get my son to crawl under the RV to loosen the bolts
__________________

MilesAndSmiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
fleetwood, southwind



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2005 Fleetwood SouthWind water pump issue, blowing fuse. cbelize Fleetwood Owner's Forum 6 02-25-2016 09:38 AM
Taking carpet out - 2005 Fleetwood Southwind 32V Broncos1 Fleetwood Owner's Forum 2 08-14-2014 11:27 AM
Southwind flooring problem Southwindjer Fleetwood Owner's Forum 1 05-04-2014 05:12 PM
Location of Master Cylinder 2005 Fleetwood Southwind okfulltimer Just Conversation 5 04-21-2014 11:17 PM
Fleetwood To Break New Ground With Launch Of Fleetwood Vacation Club In Spring 2005 DriVer RV Industry Press 2 01-21-2005 12:34 AM

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:47 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×