RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-16-2020, 10:18 AM   #1

2005 Revolution LE - Battery Drain

Purchased a new to me Revolution this spring and have been tracking down gremlins and addressing upgrades, but nothing electrical related until now...

The house batteries (4 12v deep cycles) were basically toast when I purchased - wouldn't hard a charge for more than a short period of time and drained quickly. Not a huge problem as we rarely dry camp.

Late this summer I got around to replacing the batteries, but have now noticed that when I store the batteries, they will go from fully charged (12.6/.7 volts after a few hours off the charger) to 12.2/3 after 1 week with no known load on the system.

I have tried flipping the store/use switch near the front door which kills all the house electrics, tried flipping all the breakers under the rear bed, same results. The only thing I have not done is flip the disconnect in the engine compartment (it is seized and won't move). No matter what I do, the inverter remote display still shows the battery volts. Is that display responsible for draining the entire house bank in under a week?

Hopefully I am just being dense and missing something...any ideas?
FunCyzd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-16-2020, 10:26 AM   #2
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
What you are seeing is parasitic drain. Even with the store switch off there are still thingS that sap the batteries. You CO detector and the memories for things like your radio etc.

The only way to stop this is to put a shut off on the batteries directly. If you have power nearby a small charger will keep them charged. I installed solar as I don’t have AC near me.
Old 10-16-2020, 11:43 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDi View Post
What you are seeing is parasitic drain. Even with the store switch off there are still thingS that sap the batteries. You CO detector and the memories for things like your radio etc.

The only way to stop this is to put a shut off on the batteries directly. If you have power nearby a small charger will keep them charged. I installed solar as I donít have AC near me.
My next step was to put a disconnect in line with the batteries, but isn't that exactly what the "store" switch in the coach supposed to do? It effectively shuts off the coach entirely - it kills the generator, turns off the charger, inverter, lights, stereo, etc...but there still seems to be a drain somewhere.

I get parasitic drain - but this is pretty excessive. I can tell you that the memory for the radios are not in play (neither the internal nor external radios retain their memory). And given the rest of the coach appears to have no power after the internal switch is flipped to store (verified no lights, and flipped all the breakers to off) could the co detector drain it that quickly?

Any other experiences from Revolution owners?
Old 10-16-2020, 12:05 PM   #4

The store switch shuts down most of the hours loads. What's left on depends on the builder.

The inverter/charger is not on the Use/Store switch. They draw to much current for that.
You can shut down the inverter on its panel and that will help cut down the parasitic drain.

That may be enough for a few weeks of storage, but if you want longer, you need to remove the cables or install a switch near them.

Make sure you get your batteries fully charged before storing them.

Storing at a low state of charge is bad for batteries.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 12:21 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunCyzd View Post
Purchased a new to me Revolution this spring and have been tracking down gremlins and addressing upgrades, but nothing electrical related until now...

The house batteries (4 12v deep cycles) were basically toast when I purchased - wouldn't hard a charge for more than a short period of time and drained quickly. Not a huge problem as we rarely dry camp.

Late this summer I got around to replacing the batteries, but have now noticed that when I store the batteries, they will go from fully charged (12.6/.7 volts after a few hours off the charger) to 12.2/3 after 1 week with no known load on the system.

I have tried flipping the store/use switch near the front door which kills all the house electrics, tried flipping all the breakers under the rear bed, same results. The only thing I have not done is flip the disconnect in the engine compartment (it is seized and won't move). No matter what I do, the inverter remote display still shows the battery volts. Is that display responsible for draining the entire house bank in under a week?

Breakers have nothing to do with 12 volt unless your inverter is on. Check all switches like your inside bay light, utility light switch.
Old 10-17-2020, 06:22 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunCyzd View Post

What is the voltage of your chassis batteries when house batteries are 12.2 volts?
Old 10-17-2020, 06:56 AM   #7

We just purchased a new to us 2009 Tradition. I called REV's tech line yesterday with a couple of questions. The guy I talked told me that when I store it with it not being plugged into shore power that I should leave charger on but make sure that I turn the inverter off as it will drain the batteries. Good luck, Chuck
Old 10-17-2020, 09:27 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck28f View Post
We just purchased a new to us 2009 Tradition. I called REV's tech line yesterday with a couple of questions. The guy I talked told me that when I store it with it not being plugged into shore power that I should leave charger on but make sure that I turn the inverter off as it will drain the batteries. Good luck, Chuck

If itís not plugged in what good is the charger being turned on?
Old 10-18-2020, 05:33 AM   #9

Sorry! I do not know. Chuck
Old 10-18-2020, 06:16 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha_Rooster View Post
If itís not plugged in what good is the charger being turned on?
Most inverter/chargers don't have " Charger Off " switchs.

Leaving them on does no harm.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 08:47 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
Most inverter/chargers don't have " Charger Off " switchs.

Leaving them on does no harm.

My rev does donít know if Thor axis does or not, but my comment was because it was stated to leave charger on when not plugged in. Sure it doesnít matter to leave it on I leave mine on and plugged in 24/7.
Old 10-19-2020, 09:22 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha_Rooster View Post
What is the voltage of your chassis batteries when house batteries are 12.2 volts?
Great question - I will go check it out when I make it out to charge the batteries (again) this week.

And yes - agree on the breakers, I was turning those off to see if a previous owner had done something wonky with the electrical.

I did verify that all my lights (internal, external, storage, etc) were off and that when you flip the store/use switch at the front door, it kills them as well.

I am thinking that either that little LCD remote screen draws more than I think, or I may have an issue with the new batteries. I did make sure to put a charger on the batteries prior to installation, but I didn't let them sit and measure voltage, so more investigation is in order.

Or I may just disconnect the batteries this winter and save myself some time...

Tags
battery, revolution