RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-04-2019, 10:32 AM   #1

2006 Bounder 38N quality

Looking at a used Bounder 39N, coach looks to be in very good condition. Low miles for the year (51,000 miles). Have looked at the manuals online but I can't find any real quality reviews of the Bounder. Bounder owners, are you happy with this coach? What are the pluses , the minuses? We currently have a National Dolphin, an excellent MH but looking for something a little bigger for full timing. Any info from Bounder owners would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Larry T
Albuquerque, NM
Vietnam Vet
Tov61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-04-2019, 10:40 AM   #2
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Bounders haven't been around for over 30 years for nothing. We had a 2006 gas Bounder for 13 years. Minor issues with appliances (not FW's fault) & only 1 slide motor failure in that time. Nice quality & price for all you get.

All that said, I would recommend getting any used RV inspected by an impartial certified RV inspector, unless you know what to look for on all systems.

Lori-
There is great need for a sarcasm font.
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 05:55 PM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
Send a message via Yahoo to bolhuijo
We have a 2006 Bounder 33R and have had very good luck with it. I have done many small and a few larger upgrades but I have never been too disgusted when I see the construction behind the scenes. I appreciate that they labeled all the wires. Fleetwood even sent me schematics to use.

I'm a little sad that the bare fiberglass sections of the exterior have thin gelcoat. The whole thing needs to be painted now that it has spent too much time baking in the sun.
bolhuijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 06:49 PM   #4

We have a 2006 38L. (4 slides). We bought it used in 2010 with no maintenance records and did no have anybody check it for us. We got lucky I think. It has the 300hp C7, probably like yours. I would like to have more power but have learned how to drive it so that it doesnít make me upset anymore. Have had one major problem and had to replace the Heui pump. Itís a known weakness in this motor. One of the Atwood levelers broke but was able to find a replacement. The Zantrex inverter/charger died and had to be replaced but thatís what can happen when you are struck by lightening. Not the MH fault.
We are plenty happy with it and will keep it till the end. It was/is an entry level DP so the cabinet work is not top quality, and it doesnít have all the bells and whistles of some of the more higher end models. But we are not fancy people so it fits us nicely. It does have full body paint but not multilayered.
Any questions you can PM me.
firedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 12:24 AM   #5

We have a 2007 Bounder 38S dp. It has a 300 hp C7 engine. Just returned from the Rockies. Performed great. Highest mpg was 8.1. And lowest was 5.8 with terrible head wind. You already have a rv so you know the routine, things break. But if you fix it and maintain it then you are back on the road. This is our third Fleetwood motorhome since the late 80ís. For our financial status we think the Bounder is great. Fleetwood tech support has always been great for me. They will send you the build sheet with all options and appliance ser#s. Also ask for mechanical drawings. Good luck. Safe driving.
Old 08-05-2019, 06:57 AM   #6

I have a 2007 38N. It had 13,000 miles on it when I bought it 5 years ago.
All I can do is echo what the other 5 posters have said. Great value for the money. No problems except the Power Gear levelers. I had to do some "maintenance" on the rear ones, but everything requires maintenance.
Old 08-05-2019, 09:38 AM   #7

I have a 1997 gasser 34 ft. Bought it two years ago, don’t believe it had a lot of maintenance by previous owners. I am very pleased with it’s layout, and condition. I have some double pane windows that have fogged, but rather than invest lots of money to repair, I’ve converted the double pane windows to single pane by carefully chipping out the inner pane (following info on another thread). No other major issues at all and mine is now 21 years old! And has about 68,000 miles on it. If I ever wear this one out, I would definitely consider replacing with another Bounder.
Old 08-05-2019, 04:32 PM   #8

When I was looking I found a bounder DP. It was excellent on the inside but the outside looked like hell. No paint. Just chalky fiberglass. Then a friend of a friend said the bounder is the yugo of motorhomes. Lol. I ended up buying a Discovery which is arguably the same thing as a Bounder with full body paint. Extremely happy with the discovery. But when I park next to my Father-in-law in his 2005 Newmar Kountry Star you can really see how entry level the Discovery is. The fit and finish of the newmar is head and shoulders above the lower fleetwood models.

It's often said that the fleetwood Providence is on par with Newmar but I'm not sure I believe it. I looked at several Providence models in the 2006,7,8 range and I couldn't see much diff from the discovery.

-E
Old 08-05-2019, 10:16 PM   #9

I bought a 2008 38F 3 years ago. Is it a High End unit, no. But, I'm quite happy with it. Buying it used does limit choice of interior layout and the 38F configured as mine is wouldn't be my first choice. I have a loveseat that is useless in my eyes. I want to replace it with more counter space. I'd rather have table and chairs then the dinette that I have. I couldn't figure why in a MH anyone needs a Ĺbath until I realized with a rear bath the access to the head is crawling over the bed when the slides are in so DUH on me. I have the 325hp 6.7 Cummings and it is adequate power but not lots extra. I like my mpg. the The last trip from Wisconsin to Yuma and back was a solid 10.7mpg for the whole trip with a long leg below 8 with stiff headwinds and B20 fuel I purchased in Illinois. I drive 55-57 mph with my Allison 3000 in economy mode keeping it in 6th with RPM between 1520-1575 rpm, Peak torque is 1500 rpm on this engine. The only problem I had is keeping the fridge running on LPG while driving all day. It always warms up. I've tried different wind deflectors and replaced the controller, cleaned the orifice and finally modified things to run it on AC while driving and now it stays cool. I like my Bounder.
stevewitt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 04:35 PM   #10

We purchased an '06 38N in April and are getting ready to go FT in October. We've been very pleased with the MH so far but haven't really put many miles on it yet.

Steve, very curious what you did to get your to run on AC while driving. Like yours, ours doesn't keep the fridge very cool on LP. Will be replacing the 4 - 6V batteries before hitting the road. Is there a way to switch the fridge over during the battery swap out?
INKY Newbies is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bounder, quality