Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-24-2020, 07:53 AM   #1

2006 Revolution Battery replacement

I know there are hundreds of threads about battery replacements here. Was hoping to get information from owners of similiar RV that I own. I have a 2006 Revolution LE and need to replace the batteries. Both house and chassis. They are 4 years old and chassis batteries are 6. I presently have Excide XMC-31 Megacycle AGM-200 for the house side. I see where Interstate has the 31-AGM 7 that comes with a 3 year warranty. Local dealer wants $334.95 for the Interstate ones. Any suggestions from what ya'll have purchased and have worked for you. I need AGM because of being unable to check and add water to non AGM types. Thanks
shajoe44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-24-2020, 09:11 AM   #2

Sam's Club sell AGM gp31, deep cycle batteries for around $180 each.

105 AH, 18 month free replacement.

I have the less expensive, Sams Club Maintance Free, gp31, deep cycle type, and going on 3 years they work fine. No caps to check water.Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture%2B_2020-02-24-11-08-23.jpeg
Views:	106
Size:	41.1 KB
ID:	276056
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 11:15 AM   #3

Spartan Chassis
I got my coach batt from Sam's club and chassis from Batteries pluss. All AGM. Just Fyi.
gatorv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 11:30 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

There is no reason to pay a premium price for the Interstate - they don't make their own batteries anyway. It may well be an Exide with the Interstate label on it.

Shop for a 12v AGM Group 31 with an Amp-Hour rating similar to the Exides you now have. Batteries are a commodity, so ignore brand names and buy on specs and price. If you seldom camp off-grid (boondock), you can save some money by purchasing a lower amp-hour rated house battery.

Chassis batteries are also Group 31's and should have a CCA rating of 900-950. Again, shop for a decent price for that size and CCA. Brand is not important because almost all of them come from the same Big Four battery factories anyway: Exide, East Penn, Johnson Controls and US Battery.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 01:19 PM   #5

Thanks Gary for the information. I would say 80% of my RV use is without access to power, since it is at football and baseball games. I am there usually for a 3 day stretch so I need as much battery as possible. I use the inverter when I don't have to use the AC and also have the generator set to automatically come on and turn off when batteries need charging.
Old 02-25-2020, 01:41 PM   #6

If capacity is important, its time to upgrade to 6 volt deep cycle batteries.

$ for $, you will always get more capacity and longivity from them, then 12 volt deep cycle batteries.

There are 235 AH, 6 volt batteries, that setup in 2 pairs, will give you 470 AHs.

You won't get that with 4, gp31s.

The 6 volt batteries typically cost less, due to popularity in electric golf cars.
Old 02-25-2020, 01:51 PM   #7

I replaced my starting (2) batteries last year from sams. Still running original chassis batteries.
Old 02-25-2020, 05:23 PM   #8

When I replaced my house batteries last year, I discovered the battery cable lugs were just hanging on by a thread. Serious corrosion on substandard lug thickness! I ordered pre-sized, pre-length, color cables off Ebay. Next to the batteries, replacing the cables was the next best thing I could have done...

PS don't do like one guy did...on his Allegro Bus, he replaced his house 6 volt batteries with 12 volt batteries and boy you should have see all those dozens of LED ceiling lights BLOW.
Old 02-26-2020, 06:55 AM   #9

I presently have (4) 12 volts. So do I need to replace them with (2) 6 volts or (4) 6 volts? Also I have been reading some articles stating the 6 volts dont do well when you use items such as a microwave or coffee maker. I use both but not at the same time. I also have a 2000 watt inverter. I dont use the microwave over 2 mins when using it. I read the article suggested by Gary also, Choosing a Battery for your RV. Very good reading. Just want to make sure I get what I need as far as my use is concerned. Thanks
Old 02-26-2020, 10:34 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajoe44 View Post
I presently have (4) 12 volts. So do I need to replace them with (2) 6 volts or (4) 6 volts? Also I have been reading some articles stating the 6 volts dont do well when you use items such as a microwave or coffee maker. I use both but not at the same time. I also have a 2000 watt inverter. I dont use the microwave over 2 mins when using it. I read the article suggested by Gary also, Choosing a Battery for your RV. Very good reading. Just want to make sure I get what I need as far as my use is concerned. Thanks

Since you have limited space I would replace the 4 house batteries with 4 agm 12 volt and take lots of pictures before undoing anything. Even draw a diagram.
Old 02-26-2020, 03:25 PM   #11

You would replace with 4, 6 volt batteries.

What ever you read or heard about 6 volt batteries just isn't true.
Deep cycle 6 volt batteries are built for long and deep discharges and the capability to be recharged many times.
Golfers run all day uphill and down with electric golf cars. Most are still using 6 volt batteries.

I ran 6 volt batteries for years with a 2000 watt inverter, microwave and electric coffee maker.
Old 02-28-2020, 04:26 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
You would replace with 4, 6 volt batteries.
What ever you read or heard about 6 volt batteries just isn't true.
Deep cycle 6 volt batteries are built for long and deep discharges and the capability to be recharged many times.
Golfers run all day uphill and down with electric golf cars. Most are still using 6 volt batteries.

I ran 6 volt batteries for years with a 2000 watt inverter, microwave and electric coffee maker.

Yep I agree it's all about the internal Anode Plate Size/Thickness...6 volt wet cells still can not be beat. And will deliver the most charge/discharge cycles of any other type. Some things just can not be improved. Yes there is some maintenance but the performance can't be beat. We run coffee maker- big electric hog followed by microwave, TV...what more do you want? AC, fireplaces? Really? Then you gotta run the genset. Just my 2 Cents.
Old 03-01-2020, 12:25 PM   #13

Number ONE consideration that no one above mentioned is YOUR CHARGER!!!

Don't make the mistake I made! I purchased four Interstate GC2-ECL-UTL 6 volt batteries and found out after the purchase that my Xantrex Freedom 458 was NOT fully charging them! Don't assume they are fully charged because your inverter panel shows 13.5 or Float.

Take a REAL temperature compensated glass battery hydrometer and check each cell (if using lead acid). Also, be aware that these auto watering kits can fail and the result will be a dead battery(s). Wet cells require proper feeding and cleaning on a monthly schedule BUT you will be checking them over on a monthly basis and you will most likely spot any issues like a bad connection, bad cable(s) or overcharging (frequent watering).

My first Class A, a 93 Pace Arrow Diesel had four flat 6 volts. I purchased 4 Sams Club golf cart wet cells, a Progressive Dynamics 40 amp charger with Charge Wizard. I also found that my Trombetta isolator relay was bad thus not charging my house batteries when driving down the road.

Those batteries lasted 10 years

If I had a dollar for every RV driving down the road with undercharged house batteries or a failed isolator solenoid id be one rich person!

Good reading below;

https://www.solar-electric.com/learn...tery-faq.html/
mchero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 05:48 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
If capacity is important, its time to upgrade to 6 volt deep cycle batteries.

$ for $, you will always get more capacity and longivity from them, then 12 volt deep cycle batteries.

There are 235 AH, 6 volt batteries, that setup in 2 pairs, will give you 470 AHs.

You won't get that with 4, gp31s.
470 AH at 6 volts but when wired in series to give 12 volts it only gives you 235AH @ 12 volt and at 50 percent discharge gives you only 117.5 usable AH.

There is no difference in capacity using two 12 volt 105ah battery's and Two 6 volt 210ah.

So actually you will get almost twice as much capacity with (4) gp31's
asuperheat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, battery, replace, replacement, revolution