Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-27-2023, 09:38 AM   #99

Nem,
Great job! Things are looking up sir.
OkieSVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-27-2023, 09:52 AM   #100

Thanks SVT!

Really coming along for sure. With luck I'll have my AC controller today and can test to see if I gain zone 2 back.

One thing I am getting nervous about is the AC ducting. From what I've learned fleetwood put their ducting inside as part of the foam that was between ceiling and roof. The PO removed it completely, and there isn't a lot of room for traditional ducting.

May consider just going none ducting for AC Zone 1 and 2 and add a stand alone ac in the bedroom. That would be the easiest solution for me anyway.

As the weather improves I suspect we'll be ramping up for the big roof/ceiling project.

For now, a little break is in our future as we are flying out to Maui next weekend. Been trying to take this trip for 3 years now.

Cheers all

Nem
Old 03-27-2023, 11:17 AM   #101

So the PO removed all of the ducting? So many things I just don't understand about that guy, from what you've said.

Where we go in the summer we HAVE to have a portable A/C in the bedroom, in addition to the Zone 2 A/C. It's just too hot for only the roof A/Cs...in fact we also have a portable in the living area for a total of 4 A/C units

Looking good so far!!! Have fun in Hawaii! Maui is beautiful!!

Randy
Old 03-27-2023, 12:02 PM   #102

Hey RK,

Yeah something about RV's and how they soak up heat in the summer and are cold as ice in the winter. Good opportunity to really get it insulated correctly. I continue to scratch my head in regards to the PO.

I think with a dual zone system in the front and a stand alone in the bedroom we should be in pretty decent shape. I ran the furnace on zone 1 yesterday just for a bit and the whole MH heated up nicely.

Really looking forward to this vacation. We've been to Kona and Kauai but this will be the first trip with our kids. In fact we will be celebrating their birthdays while there.

My Daughter is 12 tomorrow
My youngest will be 5 on our flight back
My Wife will be... her Birthday is on the day we fly out.
My Oldest isn't till May but he's got a May 4th birthday and that is cool in of itself. He'll be 14.

Probably the last decent travel vacation we take. With any luck we'll be able to enjoy this Excursion by this time next year. We still have the Rexhall Anthem so camping is still an option.
Old 03-28-2023, 12:02 PM   #103

Wow, that's quite a crew!!

Have a great time!!

Randy
Old 03-28-2023, 01:36 PM   #104

yeah one of the biggest reason we upgraded in size from the Rexhall. That thing would be perfect if it were just the two of us. We are still on the fence on whether we should sell it but who needs two Class A's? LOL
Old 03-29-2023, 06:16 AM   #105

Nem, I admire you for involving the whole family in the camping hobby. We need more parents like you and your DW.
Old 03-29-2023, 06:39 AM   #106

Hey thanks SVT! Lots of good memories to be had in the RV and Camping scene!

RV'ing wasn't a thing for my immediately family but we go back to where you hiked 10 miles and camped in the open air and slept on the ground. Those were the good old days.

Our oldest William is always looking for something to do on the MH. The first weekend we had it he was scraping glue of the OEM tile from the PO putting linoleum over it.

Our other two are special needs with both having a rare condition called Alstroms. Wreaks havoc on vision, hearing and some major organs. Both spent many weeks to months in ICU when born with Myocardiopathy. Our Daughter has nearly lost all her vision (legally blind) due to something referred to as Rod/Cone Dystrophy and can't see too well in the sun which does making camping difficult but she's a trooper and wears special glasses that block the sun light. She loves being outside in the wilderness.

Our youngest is Autistic in addition to having a minor case of Alstroms so you can imagine the challenge with that. Fortunately his vision and hearing are way less than hers.

He absolutely LOVES going for rides in the car and truck. The MH he's all smiles and yells in joy the entire trip. We learned sensory activities are a win for those with low vision. Feeling the ride if you will!

I wont bore you all with the logistics but its been a challenge finding something those two can enjoy with the rest of the family.

We like the destination but the journey is where it's at for us.

I've got to dig up a few shots of Will scraping glue of the OEM tile. Eager to help get this Coach back on the road. He's also really into the electrical work I've been doing and is always watching and learning. He's very adept at engineering as well.

My better half and our family:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Jameson and Mom.JPEG
Views:	27
Size:	128.3 KB
ID:	389106   Click image for larger version

Name:	Will and Jameson.JPEG
Views:	28
Size:	136.7 KB
ID:	389107  

Name:	Emmy and Jameson.JPEG
Views:	29
Size:	103.6 KB
ID:	389108  
Old 03-29-2023, 02:46 PM   #107

Defeated!

Not giving up but I really thought I had this AC controller zone 2 issue worked out.

Long and short of it is zone 2 is still not connecting to the thermostat. In fact every attempt to do so causes the Thermostat to freeze and cease to operate. This is resolved the moment I disconnect the signal wire from the controller at AC 2.

Thermostat wont even register the rear furnace and it got me thinking that there might be an issue on this end. At the moment Zone 2 is none existent for either AC/Furnace.

I assumed since the Rear AC was missing the controller that this would complete the system.

Front AC Controller jumped to zone 1
Rear Ac Controller jumped to zone 2

Both controller LED's flash their corresponding zones but only the front connects making the LED go solid green. Rear always just flashes. I am starting to wonder if the Thermostat is the issue. After all the PO did cut the 12volt power wired and borrowed power from another source. Maybe that decision shorted out the Thermo itself?

I've confirmed with Coleman that I have the correct Thermostat and controllers for my system.

Back to the diagnostic grind.
Old 03-29-2023, 04:17 PM   #108

Always retrace your steps

Success!

Feeling defeated I walked away from the Motorhome. I've learned over the years that things can go from bad to worse when you're frustrated and playing the "guessing" game.

Having a reasonable understanding of how this system is wired and should work I really started 2nd guessing my work. By all means it should work!

So, I took a breath came in and warmed up a bit. Starting running my progress and fixes through my head. I assumed that the harness leading to the Rear AC controller came from the front of the coach and over head through the ceiling. I discovered that the only two wires that do are the Gen Wires and Signal Wires. It then dawned on me the plug in the Gen Bay was repaired and that cluster of wires went under the Coach.

So I worked backwards from the rear where the harness comes back out and through the ceiling, back to front.

Thank the RV lords that Fleetwood uses numbers on every wire. Slowly and patiently I went through every wire that "I" reconnected from when the PO cut the harness. Sure enough I had the Ground Wire crossed with the Cool wire.

Reconnected correctly ALL zones register, both AC's fire (front needs a new motor), and both Furnaces fire.

Officially the only system that doesn't work as of this message is the Levelers.

Now we can legitimately begin re-building the interior and ceiling!

Thanks for reading this long winded post.

Cheers all!

Nem
Old 03-29-2023, 10:08 PM   #109

First off, great family! They will remember these times forever! Between my wife and me we have 7 kids, (all adults now), and they have all grown up with fond memories of the RV, desert riding, and boating. It has been a wonderful ride!!

Second, so glad you resolved the thermostat issue! Huge progress now in the short time you've had it!!

Have a great time in Hawaii!!

Randy
Old 03-30-2023, 10:39 AM   #110

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Great news on the a/c wiring and function!
Old 03-30-2023, 08:12 PM   #111

The Simple things!

Thanks Randy and Rich!

We cannot wait till we board the plane and get this journey started. It'll be our kids first time in Hawaii as well as flight! Because we are celebrating so many birthdays her parents gifted us with a Luau as well as an aquarium tour so we've already got some events planned. Lots of relaxing and not thinking of the Motorhome! LOL

Speaking of the Motorhome!

I was greeted with a early delivery of an add-on I ordered some time ago.

When we bought it the lighted grab handle in the bathroom was missing. I had no idea what was supposed to be there. It was by happenstance that I was going through some RV trader ads and saw it. Call me weird, but I go to RV trader and look up the same year and make and floor plan to see how things should be. I've learned quite a bit that way! LOL

Anyway, I installed a new light and it looks quite good!

Also, for added insurance and piece of mind I installed the Surge Guard display for the surge protector. Now I have the ESP function back I lost when I replaced the ATS.

Anyhow, thanks for checking in!

Cheers and I guess Aloha is in order!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Bathroom Night Light 1.JPEG
Views:	28
Size:	44.3 KB
ID:	389262   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bathroom Night Light.JPEG
Views:	30
Size:	47.9 KB
ID:	389263  

Name:	Surge Guard Display.JPEG
Views:	29
Size:	73.3 KB
ID:	389264  
Old 03-31-2023, 07:08 AM   #112

Nem, first let me say I am so impressed by your dedication to your family. A great looking family for sure. Most times, special needs children brings out the best in their parents and that seems to be the case with you and yours.

I'm 80 years old with lots of life experience and I can tell you that the camping life is a great way to become and stay a family that loves and looks out for one another. I'm 80 years old and I can say this camping life is great no matter what kind of rig you are using. We had as much fun in the late forties in my parents tent on the river as anything we have done since. LOL

You really dig in when something is not working properly in that new to you rig. That kind of dedication is very admirable. I'm so glad you tracked down the culprit causing that system not to work. Have a great time making forever memories in Hawaii.
Ron

Tags
2007, fleetwood