Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-20-2013, 11:30 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
2007 American Heritage

I am considering a 2007 American Heritage 45E. It is on the Spartan Chassis with a 500 Cummins. It as about 60,000 miles and is in pristine condition.

I have had a 2000 Newmar MA DP for about 2 yrs and want a 4 slide, tag Coach.

Any thoughts or info regarding this particular model and value would be appreciated.

Thanks
smokin38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-20-2013, 03:19 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
This is funny, I own the same Coach right now as you and same year and if I was ready to upgrade the Coach you are looking at is what I have decided is what I want next depending on the floorplan, "One" of the finest Coach's on the road right now in my book.
Is it sitting in San Marcos, TX? http://www.nadaguides.com/RVs/2007/A...3047790/Values

Here is one with 16,000 miles on it........http://www.mhsrv.com/2007-american-c...her-tx-i352504
Old 11-20-2013, 05:15 PM   #3

American Coach Owners Club
Can't say about the 07 Heritage, but I bought a 2007 Eagle 45H a couple months ago on the same chassis and same engine as you are looking at, and I came from an 05 MADP4304.....so far no issues with my Eagle. Two things I noticed immediately, the Newmar woodwork FAR EXCEEDS the Eagle, but the Eagle driving and handling FAR EXCEEDS the Newmar (at least the Newmar I had) and it was also on the Spartan chassis, the MM though and not the Liberty. The other thing I noticed immediately is that the 500 is MUCH thirstier than the 400 was in the Newmar. But I love the floorplan on our new to us Eagle and it so far appears to be a fine coach with no regrets of purchase.
Old 11-21-2013, 05:19 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Thanks for your input! We do love our MA. Ours has the solid cherry cabinets and the quality is unsurpassed. We are going to be traveling a lot and spending much more time in it in the next few years as we grow our business so are wanting 4 slides and the 1 1/2 bath.
Originally, we were only looking at Newmar because of how happy we are with ours and their customer service is excellent. Then my cousin offered us a tremendous deal on his Am Heritage (not listed anywhere) so we are seriously considering it.

Mr Chips, how is the wind/road noise while underway with your Eagle?

Palehorse89, what a coincidence! The one problem I have with the 2007 and newer Newmars is simply the look of the front. I can't get past how the body sticks out waaay farther than the windshield. Looks like there should be a row of bushes planted there! The MA looks like a Dolphin smiling! Other than that I think they are fantastic. I have had a hard time finding them with the 1 1/2 bath though.

Thanks again.
Old 11-21-2013, 10:40 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
My previous unit was a 1999 American Eagle, my current is a 2009 42 Eagle. American Coach customer service has been excellent for me for 14 years I have owned their units. I have never experienced better customer service from a mfg, I don't know how it could be any better with any other mfg.

My '09 has a little more wind noise up front, but it drives and handle so much better, but I do have a tag now and the '99 was non tag.

'99 had a 350 hp, '09 has 425 hp, between emissions and more hp, lost about 1.5-1.7 mpg.

Both coaches had plenty of power, in fact the '99 probably ran and pulled a little better than the '09. Ride is by far better in '09 but 10 year newer and technology differences.

'09 has way more room parked and opened, the bath and half is awesome, but is very tight when closed up. Doesn't bother me, but some people it may, especially attempting to get to 1/2 bath while closed up.

Good luck on your decision.
jeryan59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 11:03 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
You won't go wrong with any AC. As mentioned FW over the past couple of years really stepped up their customer relations. We have the bath and a half absolutely makes life great! Closed is a little tight, however, I am 6'4" 230 lbs. and can easily use the half bath. Enjoy!
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 03:23 PM   #7

I had ALOT of Newmar wind whistle in my old coach, especially below 50MPH and more so depending on wind direction. At speed DW and I could carry a conversation, but it took somewhat elevated speech. The AC is dead quiet and normal conversation is VERY easy. However I will say, I could BARELY hear the 400 start or run in the Newmar, and the 500 in the AC is no issue to hear start and at idle sounds like it is litteraly right behind you. As soon as you take off though you can't hear it run, it is kinda odd really. I have never driven a Newmar with their comfort drive, but I have no idea how you could get a better feel or ride than the Eagle and the Liberty chassis, it is far and above the 05 43' Newmar I had. On another comparrison, the Newmar had much more basement room, the Eagle chassis has a very low rail within the side boxes which takes alot of room. The Eagle has much more isle space to transit fore/aft when closed up. I don't know how, but I was averaging (hand calculated) 9.7 MPG over about 20K miles in the Newmar and the 400 and never had an issue needing more power. That was towing a CRV most of the time and keeping speeds at 65 +/-. The Eagle with the 500 over the first 3K miles I have had it while towing the same car is getting 6.6 MPG. That is a hard pill to swallow and it don't take long to burn through that 150 gal fuel tank, Big horses eat alot of hay.

We toyed with really wanting a 1.5 bath coach, but in the end opted for more floor space in the living area as we spent more time there than in the bathroom. We actually kinda got the best of both worlds as the 45H Eagle has the bathroom that slides with the bedroom, so you gain alot of floor space for the bath.

Customer service was top notch with Newmar, and is easily matched or exceeded with AC. In all honesty, Newmar did everything and answered everything I ever asked of them, but AC has sent me info and docs (plumbing and wiring diagrams) that I never requested with a little note that said these may come in handy with a new to me coach. I thought that was cool. Unless they wee insinuating I would really need them.....LOL Did I mention that Debbra at AC is outstanding?

I was a dedicated Newmar fan and still love their coaches, but I don't think you can go wrong with AC and I love flying with my Eagle.
Old 11-23-2013, 02:37 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
The Heritage is the top of the line AC model. At a recent rally AC brought one as a show coach...it sold, with an MSRP north of $850k.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 12:28 AM   #9

Smokin'!

We have a 2006 Heritage 45E with the 600HP Spartan K3/Liberty chassis. It is unlikely that ANYONE, short of Prevost, Foretravel, or Newell could make us any happier. And I'm not at all sure that they actually male a better coach! The Heritage for 2006 and 2007 are identical, I think. At 30,000 miles, our coach has had only normal service work done. It has needed NO repairs. We are not the first owners, but know the first owners. (They traded ours for a 2013 Heritage)

You asked about wind noise...the Heritage has an aircraft like pneumatic seal which essentially vacuums the door fully closed and therefore eliminates ALL door related wind noise. When other MH owners have ridden with me, they invariably remark on our coaches comfort and the remarkable quite at highway speeds.

Also, it is nearly impossible to impress upon you the level of service that the American Coach give to us owners of older coaches. I've never seen anything like it!

All the Best,
Stan
Stanmawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 10:10 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Thanks again for your comments. In the past 2 weeks I have sold my MA and discovered the Heritage I am interested in is a 2005, not 2007. I guess we had some miscommunication, the brochure link he sent me was for a 2007 and later said that was a mistake from Fleetwood and didn't realize I didn't know it was 2005. Confusing but...
From what I can tell there is not much difference from 2005 through 2007.
I went and looked at it and drove it, very nice. A few minor issues, but to be expected.
I have talked to customer service at Fleetwood and they are extremely nice and informative.
Have any of you made any extensive comparison of one of these vs. a Newmar Essex with same chassis/power?
Thank you.
Old 12-15-2013, 04:09 AM   #11
Community Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokin38 View Post
Thanks again for your comments. In the past 2 weeks I have sold my MA and discovered the Heritage I am interested in is a 2005, not 2007. I guess we had some miscommunication, the brochure link he sent me was for a 2007 and later said that was a mistake from Fleetwood and didn't realize I didn't know it was 2005. Confusing but... From what I can tell there is not much difference from 2005 through 2007. I went and looked at it and drove it, very nice. A few minor issues, but to be expected. I have talked to customer service at Fleetwood and they are extremely nice and informative. Have any of you made any extensive comparison of one of these vs. a Newmar Essex with same chassis/power? Thank you.
Here's a link to Heritage brochures including the 05.

http://www.americancoach.com/library/

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 07:50 AM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
AC Hertiage, 2005 vs. 2005 Newmar Essex. IMHO both great coaches! Pecking order, AC Heritage, top of the line, Essex number two in order with King Aire being top. I would ask myself this question if purchasing similar year coaches, maintenance records, chassis comparison if any difference, engine HP, Cat or Cummins, overall appearance, and lastly but my first choice, floor plan that suits the DW and maybe you? Of course a qualified survey by a third party. There are multiple post that go into detailed buying specifics. Again these are top level coaches, best of luck.
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 08:03 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
In 05 Newmar only had the Essex and was top of their line till '07 and then the Londen Aire showed up...... till '08 and they had the Londen Aire and the King Aire had just came out also that year with '08 being the last year for the Londen Aire as their levels had changed at this point.....Now ....King Aire....Essex......Mountain Aire are their top shelf (Mountain Aire had moved to the top) and from here down.
There has been questions and posts here lately about the '05-'06 Essex, do a search and see what you can find. You can't go wrong with either one I don't think....(comfort drive installed '07 and up, this would be a big thing with me when buying)The Essex had only been around for 2 years at this point though....I remember reading of some problems with the electrical or communication wiring in them back then I think Study up....!

Some reading for a Sunday afternoon: http://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/2004...se-183681.html

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/need...ex-123033.html

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/opin...-a-185883.html

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/2005...ex-145927.html

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/06-essex-11483.html
Old 12-15-2013, 10:06 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
I was just on e-bay root-in around and found this 2006 Fleetwood American Heritage | eBay listed, what a nice looking rig.....