Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-16-2014, 01:04 PM   #1

2009 American Allegiance Atwood Thermostat Issue

Just wondering if any other 2009 American Allegiance owners have had issues with their Atwood Thermostat. We bought our coach in April of 2012 and discovered when it started getting cold in Oct. that the thermostat is defective. It will go from furnace to off on either zone 1 or 2 intermittently. It will happen whether we are on shore power or generator or just dry camping without either. Usually happens in the coldest weather at night when we wake up freezing to find it has turned itself off. Not related to low battery, nothing.

We've had it to the factory to resolve the issue in Nov. of 2012 and again in Nov. of 2013 with no resolution to the situation. Any suggestions from others would be appreciated.

Jeanne
2009 American Allegiance since 2012
jedtoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-17-2014, 08:39 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
We bought our Allegiance in Dec 2010...thermostat has worked fine...knock on wood. Can you just replace it?

Also, sent you a PM.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 03:02 PM   #3

The thermostat has been replaced and is on it's third one--all of which have done exactly the same thing. This model of thermostat is no longer being made. According to Fleetwood it will require extensive rewiring to put in a new system. That was the plan and why we went to Fleetwood last Nov. but it didn't happen. It seems as though we are the only ones out there with this issue and they don't want to tackle it. They found some wires burned in the AC last fall and thought that would solve it. The new thermostat was on extensive backorder (months) even if we did need it. So here we are another whole year before we can go back to the factory and try again. Would really like to have this very competent mechanic, Bill Bryant of West Side Mechanics in Des Moines, IA, do the whole rewire but we've been told by Fleetwood that only the factory can do it.
Old 06-16-2014, 04:40 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
2009 Allegiance 42G

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat320 View Post
We bought our Allegiance in Dec 2010...thermostat has worked fine...knock on wood. Can you just replace it?

Also, sent you a PM.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedtoo View Post
Just wondering if any other 2009 American Allegiance owners have had issues with their Atwood Thermostat. We bought our coach in April of 2012 and discovered when it started getting cold in Oct. that the thermostat is defective. It will go from furnace to off on either zone 1 or 2 intermittently. It will happen whether we are on shore power or generator or just dry camping without either. Usually happens in the coldest weather at night when we wake up freezing to find it has turned itself off. Not related to low battery, nothing.

We've had it to the factory to resolve the issue in Nov. of 2012 and again in Nov. of 2013 with no resolution to the situation. Any suggestions from others would be appreciated.

Jeanne
2009 American Allegiance since 2012

Besides the thermostat, have you had many issues with you coach? Factory recalls or warranty issues-just about to buy a 2009 42G - 19500 miles.

Mike
mscully103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 02:15 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
If you are looking at an 09, all the bugs should be gone by now. We bought ours new, and most of the issues were items the dealer should have fixed, but didn't.

You can expect top notch help and service from the factory and the help line.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 11:12 PM   #6

2009 American Allegiance Thermostat Issue

Reply to Mike of Monaco Knight 2008. We originally had a 2005 Diplomat prior to buying our Allegiance. Really loved our Monaco.

Don't want to dissuade you from purchasing the 2009 Allegiance as it is a beautiful unit. I would seriously investigate some issues though. Don't know that others have had any of these issues but the following are our frustrations with the unit. For starters we are extremely grateful that we purchased the extended warranty for $5000. for five years as we have gotten all of that back in repairs.

All of our work was done at the factory prior to running into a fantastic tech (just this April) in Des Moines IA who has helped us regarding understanding our thermostat issue. The bottom line is it can't be fixed to work properly. It has to do with the powershed system and rewiring is not an option unless we eliminate the powershed system entirely and take it off line. I suspect this should have been a warranty issue with the original owner as it certainly looks like a factory fault situation.

The issue we have is usually with zone 2. The heat pump will be set at 60 and has no reason to come on but I'll wake up at 4am sweating as it has come on (outside temp is probably 49)---temp on thermostat for that zone says 88. When I go to the button to check the setting (that I set to 60 when we went to bed) it will initially read 000 or 100 and I have to reset it all the way back down to 60.

On the other end of the scale when on furnace and it is extremely cold outside and running all the time and is set to 60, I'll wake up at 4am freezing and it is 42 degrees. The thermostat will literally say off instead of furnace.

We're on our last RV and don't want to reinvest in another so we're just adapting.

The only other issue that is unresolvable that is just an annoyance is that the set-up of the holding tanks in our model causes one kitchen sink to drain and back up into the other kitchen sink after the holding tank reaches a certain fullness.

Repairs otherwise might fall into category of "Usual??? maintenance for an RV traveling the road as much as we do. We put 15,000 miles a year on our coach.
To list:
Kink in hose for water supply to kitchen caused by slide going in and out finally created hole and flooded basement. Fixed.
Aquahot motor failed needed to be rebuilt--find a Certified Aquahot mechanic on their website. Have it serviced every year.
Refrigerator needed new thermistor and control board.
Unislide awning (be sure to check if intact). Replaced it once and then got caught in 60 mile an hr. wind driving. Replaced the entire unit for hopefully better longevity.
Hydraulic went out on stepcover--replaced.
Issues with dash lights intermittent--ongoing even though rewiring done.
Transfer switch went out and replaced.
Had burned out wires on Electric side of aquahot when we bought it but didn't know anything about aquahot--just got it fixed.
Wire burned out on front air conditioner (when we bought it but didn't know) and controler had been set for a furnace instead of aquahot--when they fixed that they thought that might cure the problem with the thermostat but it didn't. We have invested in a new spare thermostat to carry with us at all times in case this one just malfunctions completely (this happened to the original thermostat).

Still love the unit and hope the issues are now manageable and resolved as best as can be. Really do like the deep slides and the beauty of the coach. Don't get a sense that other owners have had the same kind of problems we've had. We had 23,000 miles on this when we bought it and now have 52,000. Maybe the coach was made on a Friday.

Good luck on your decision.
Jeanne
Old 06-19-2014, 02:18 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Thermostat

Jeanne,

Again thanks for the info - will go over that when we look over the coach. Out of curiosity, do you know when your 2009 was manufactured? The date is listed on the "Window Sticker" as well as on the wall behind the drivers seat (I think) The one we are looking at was 09/09.

Mike
mscully103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 06:50 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedtoo View Post
Reply to Mike of Monaco Knight 2008. We originally had a 2005 Diplomat prior to buying our Allegiance. Really loved our Monaco.

Don't want to dissuade you from purchasing the 2009 Allegiance as it is a beautiful unit. I would seriously investigate some issues though. Don't know that others have had any of these issues but the following are our frustrations with the unit. For starters we are extremely grateful that we purchased the extended warranty for $5000. for five years as we have gotten all of that back in repairs.

All of our work was done at the factory prior to running into a fantastic tech (just this April) in Des Moines IA who has helped us regarding understanding our thermostat issue. The bottom line is it can't be fixed to work properly. It has to do with the powershed system and rewiring is not an option unless we eliminate the powershed system entirely and take it off line. I suspect this should have been a warranty issue with the original owner as it certainly looks like a factory fault situation.

The issue we have is usually with zone 2. The heat pump will be set at 60 and has no reason to come on but I'll wake up at 4am sweating as it has come on (outside temp is probably 49)---temp on thermostat for that zone says 88. When I go to the button to check the setting (that I set to 60 when we went to bed) it will initially read 000 or 100 and I have to reset it all the way back down to 60.

On the other end of the scale when on furnace and it is extremely cold outside and running all the time and is set to 60, I'll wake up at 4am freezing and it is 42 degrees. The thermostat will literally say off instead of furnace.

We're on our last RV and don't want to reinvest in another so we're just adapting.

The only other issue that is unresolvable that is just an annoyance is that the set-up of the holding tanks in our model causes one kitchen sink to drain and back up into the other kitchen sink after the holding tank reaches a certain fullness.

Repairs otherwise might fall into category of "Usual??? maintenance for an RV traveling the road as much as we do. We put 15,000 miles a year on our coach.
To list:
Kink in hose for water supply to kitchen caused by slide going in and out finally created hole and flooded basement. Fixed.
Aquahot motor failed needed to be rebuilt--find a Certified Aquahot mechanic on their website. Have it serviced every year.
Refrigerator needed new thermistor and control board.
Unislide awning (be sure to check if intact). Replaced it once and then got caught in 60 mile an hr. wind driving. Replaced the entire unit for hopefully better longevity.
Hydraulic went out on stepcover--replaced.
Issues with dash lights intermittent--ongoing even though rewiring done.
Transfer switch went out and replaced.
Had burned out wires on Electric side of aquahot when we bought it but didn't know anything about aquahot--just got it fixed.
Wire burned out on front air conditioner (when we bought it but didn't know) and controler had been set for a furnace instead of aquahot--when they fixed that they thought that might cure the problem with the thermostat but it didn't. We have invested in a new spare thermostat to carry with us at all times in case this one just malfunctions completely (this happened to the original thermostat).

Still love the unit and hope the issues are now manageable and resolved as best as can be. Really do like the deep slides and the beauty of the coach. Don't get a sense that other owners have had the same kind of problems we've had. We had 23,000 miles on this when we bought it and now have 52,000. Maybe the coach was made on a Friday.

Good luck on your decision.
Jeanne
I sorry to hear about your issues with your coach, great info for mscully103 to investigate on his prospective unit.

Sounds like most of your issues are with your aqua hot, not with American/Fleetwood. Was Fleetwood doing your factory work or was the American side doing it? I know they are different support side (at least they were). If the Allegiance was American for you I would go a level higher in the organization and see if they would work with you? I have had several issues that American was more than accommodating so I wouldn't have to go back to the factory.

As respects to your awesome tech in Des Moines, what does he estimate to fix your thermostat issue? I would be tempted to have that tech do it versus the fuel expense to go back and forth to the factory, inconvenience, time etc unless you were going for something else?

I have owned 2 American units for 13 years and have never been to the factory. On one occasion I was going to go, but I found a local tech to install my steps which previous owner had ripped off the coach hitting a post because he didn't secure the locks on the door correctly and the twisting of the frame allowed the door to partially open and the steps came out and hit post. Local labor for me was way less than fuel expense to round trip.

I am curious if zone 2 issue does same thing when you are not on the heat pump and strictly on heat?

I hope you get your issue satisfactorily resolved, as that is a real inconvenience ! Good luck!
jeryan59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 11:55 PM   #9

2009 American Allegiance Thermostat Issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by mscully103 View Post
Jeanne,

Again thanks for the info - will go over that when we look over the coach. Out of curiosity, do you know when your 2009 was manufactured? The date is listed on the "Window Sticker" as well as on the wall behind the drivers seat (I think) The one we are looking at was 09/09.

Mike
After looking at the manufacturing date on ours of 05/05/08, I would think your unit should be OK. Would be interested in knowing exactly when they started production--maybe we have the prototype--UGH!!! Really think your unit should have the bugs worked out or the owners wouldn't have hung onto their unit as long as they did.
Old 06-21-2014, 12:01 AM   #10

Thanks for the input. The issue really isn't the aquahot as it happens on either furnace or heat pump. Also happens on shore power or battery. All of our work was done on the American side (actually the repair facility does all the repairs as we've seen all of their models in the shop). There is something wrong in the actual wiring of the Coach that is so hidden in the powershed system that no one will attempt to repair it. Just going to live with it. No other choice.

Tags
atwood, thermostat