Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-21-2013, 05:29 PM   #1

2009 Bounder 35H - Slide motor seems weak.

Even though my engine is running, the driver's side slide on my rig moves in and out in super slo-mo. The smaller, bedroom slide on the passenger side runs in and out just fine. The motor on the driver's side bogs way down and seems very weak. Knowing these motors draw huge amounts of current, it makes me wonder why they didn't use a larger motor on the larger slide so it wouldn't struggle so much.
Anybody else?
WarDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-21-2013, 05:36 PM   #2
Community Administrator

They did put in a larger motor and I'm sure you have it. Mine comes in slower than the bedroom also. It's a lot of slide. I'm just happy that it comes in . I try to keep the cabinets , under sofa and banquet draws as light as I can.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 10:15 AM   #3

I've emptied everything from both the outside compartments as well as the inside drawers and it's not much different, if at all. If the driver's side slide has a larger motor than the one for the bedroom slide, you'd never be able to tell by how poorly it performs.
I've already replaced the stock water pump. I guess I'll look at replacing the weak slide motor with a more robust specimen. I guess if I replace enough things, this RV might be worth owning.
Old 06-22-2013, 10:23 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

I always hold my breath when our large slide is coming in, too. I have to assume that Fleetwood put a motor sufficient to the task since our slide has never failed to retract.

Sorry you are so unhappy with your Bounder. Is this your first motorhome?
Old 06-23-2013, 07:33 AM   #5

Hi Sarah,
This is actually our second RV but it is our first NEW RV. We owned an '89 Gulfstream SunVista while I was stationed on Kodiak Island, Alaska. It was old and broken down and it only cost me $13K. And I liked it WAY more than the 2009 Bounder I currently own.
I think the Gulfstream was better constructed, way more solid and gave me less headaches than the lemon I now own. Yes, I'm bitter. [ moderator edit ] I can't understand how something that costs so much can be put together with such carelessness and the only person who loses is the sucker who bought it. How does a company like that stay in business? (oh, that's right, they DID go out of business a few years back) Go figure.
Old 06-23-2013, 08:09 AM   #6

My big slid is probably only half as fast as the bedroom slide. It makes me nervous every time I use it. I don't think a bigger motor is the answer, most all electric motors turn at one of two or three RPMs. The gearbox on the end of the motor has a higher ratio in order to move the larger slide and weight. Higher ratio means more torque, if you go to a lower ratio, the system probably wouldn't have the power to move the slide. This is just a byproduct of electric slides, hydraulic slides move at a more constant rate irregardless of the size and weight.
Old 06-23-2013, 09:09 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarDog View Post
Hi Sarah,
This is actually our second RV but it is our first NEW RV. We owned an '89 Gulfstream SunVista while I was stationed on Kodiak Island, Alaska. It was old and broken down and it only cost me $13K. And I liked it WAY more than the 2009 Bounder I currently own.
I think the Gulfstream was better constructed, way more solid and gave me less headaches than the lemon I now own. Yes, I'm bitter. [ moderator edit ] I can't understand how something that costs so much can be put together with such carelessness and the only person who loses is the sucker who bought it. How does a company like that stay in business? (oh, that's right, they DID go out of business a few years back) Go figure.
I'm sorry you are disappointed with your Bounder. I think many people share your opinion of motorhome/RV construction in general, unfortunately. I don't believe things will change with the industry since we all keep buying them! Hopefully once you get a few kinks worked out you'll feel better about your purchase and will enjoy traveling. Personally I am a Fleetwood fan; we have had very good luck with our Bounder and it is coming up on 2 years old in November. (knock on imitation wood!! )

If there are questions/problems that you need help with, post 'em up and we will try to chime in. Don't give up on that Bounder yet!!
Old 06-25-2013, 04:50 PM   #8

Thanks for the info, Roger. I have to admit that I don't know much about electric motors, gearing and such. It's just frustrating dealing with so many issues that shouldn't be issues at all IMO. The slide deal is just one of literally dozens...
And thanks for the encouragement, Sarah. The only reason I haven't given up on this thing yet is because I'd never be able to dump it for anything near what I paid. I'm sort of stuck with it, which appears to intensify that bitter taste I've got...
That said, I do appreciate all the positivity I get from the folks here. Thank you, one and all. Maybe, with some help and enough duct tape, I can make this thing worth owning, to a degree. I guess time will tell.
Old 06-25-2013, 05:02 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Not sure what you have for a controller for your motor some controllers have a pot on them to increase current to motor. The increases are made in small increments or damage to slide maybe the result.
If you have check the main fuse panel for loose screw for motor wiring both positive and the ground buss bar wiring on panel and the wire nuts at motor location the motor may work better.
You can't just go buy any high torque motor with the controller you have, may not work or could damage your slide.
These motors need a good 12v to operate, here is a slide spec for a Newmar coach to give you some idea and info on what you possibly are dealing with.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 07:13 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
35H Slide motor

I too had the same problem and had three motors replaced. Found out it wasn't the motors failing but the PLASTIC slide rollers failing. Had the dealer replace the slide rollers with steel bearings now the full side slide comes in with ease. Attached is a link for the upgrade YOU MUST do to get your full side slide to work properly!!
DiscoverySalonSlide

2008 Bounder
Old 06-30-2013, 07:18 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2008 Bounder View Post
I too had the same problem and had three motors replaced. Found out it wasn't the motors failing but the PLASTIC slide rollers failing. Had the dealer replace the slide rollers with steel bearings now the full side slide comes in with ease. Attached is a link for the upgrade YOU MUST do to get your full side slide to work properly!!
DiscoverySalonSlide

2008 Bounder
That article says the modification is for year model 2000-2005. Are they still using the plastic rollers?
Old 06-30-2013, 09:32 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
My '08 Bounder had em!!
Old 07-01-2013, 05:05 PM   #13

I have the same motorhome that you do. I did the bearing mod and the lift block mod and it helps to the point were I don't worry about it. The link for the lift kit is:http://bec-ed.com/Bounder/SBA0267_Sl...all_Assist.pdf

I hope this helps.
Jim615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 05:10 PM   #14
Community Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim615 View Post
I have the same motorhome that you do. I did the bearing mod and the lift block mod and it helps to the point were I don't worry about it. The link for the lift kit is:http://bec-ed.com/Bounder/SBA0267_Sl...all_Assist.pdf

I hope this helps.
What year is your Bounder as that was a 2005-2007 fix ?

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bounder, slide