Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-14-2022, 01:24 PM   #1

2009 Discovery 40X leaking antifreeze at the engine

Hello all, Iv been having issues with the low coolant light coming on and then the coach shutting itself off. Red stop light on the dash kicking in. I have found that there was coolant dripping down from under the rear when sitting. It only takes about 1 gallon in the revivor and then I'm good to go for a short trip. Its been sitting in storage for the winter. I only notice that the coolant is just below the line on the coolant tank. It doesn't seem to go any lower. Could I possibly have a crack in this tank? I wouldn't think the leak would be anywhere else since it only goes to this line and stops. Is this something Fleetwood carries?
Thanks
JT
JTsBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-14-2022, 01:58 PM   #2

Welcome to iRV2.

The chassis manufacturer installed the engine into the frame , and supplied the cooling system .

Coolant reservoirs vary in shape by radiator position ( rear or side ) so going to need more info on your coach to really provide any answers .

Chassis manufacturer ? Rear rad ? Does the reservoir have a pressure cap ?
Old 03-14-2022, 02:15 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTsBoss View Post
Hello all, Iv been having issues with the low coolant light coming on and then the coach shutting itself off. Red stop light on the dash kicking in. I have found that there was coolant dripping down from under the rear when sitting. It only takes about 1 gallon in the revivor and then I'm good to go for a short trip. Its been sitting in storage for the winter. I only notice that the coolant is just below the line on the coolant tank. It doesn't seem to go any lower. Could I possibly have a crack in this tank? I wouldn't think the leak would be anywhere else since it only goes to this line and stops. Is this something Fleetwood carries?
Thanks
JT
I would recommend getting a coolant pressure tester, installing it on the tank and pressurizing the system to verify where the leak is coming from. A picture showing the location of the leak would be beneficial. You can have a cold leak or you can hot leak. Is the leak near the radiator or is near the reservoir? Do you see any fittings or hoses leaking? I would check there. Don't usually see the reservoir leak except from the mounting tabs.
Bobby Dowdle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2022, 04:04 PM   #4

Hi JTsBoss, to answer your question, yes it can be coming from the reservoir. They have a bad history of cracking. However coolant could also be leaking from many other places. I'm concerned you had a to add a "gallon" of coolant to the reservoir. That's a lot considering I can't remember the last time I had to add any to my Discovery.

Also, like Skip426 indicated, it would be a Freightliner part. Get it checked out sooner rather than later. If it is the reservoir, some of them are easy to change, and some of them are a real bear to change, due to the coach builder blocking access to some bolts.

I sent you a PM

BTW,
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2022, 12:48 PM   #5

Okay, lots of info so far. Ill add that this is a Freightliner 2009, Has a Cummins isb motor. Forgive me I am new to this coach. I have only owned v10 class A in the past. This is my very first diesel motorhome. What are some good ways to look for the leaks? I can't seem to see anything on this motor. Its very well hidden! I saw leak detection above but again where do you stick your head to look? Thanks again for the help!.
Old 03-15-2022, 01:37 PM   #6

If you are a DIY type of owner, now's a good time to remove the engine cover or two. In my 2006 Discovery, the main engine cover is kind of under the bed. I have to lift the bed up, remove part of the bed frame, then remove the carpet/plywood, then remove 4 large headed screws, then remove the large sound insolating plywood section. With that removed I can see the entire top and sides of the engine. (see Pic)

In all of the Discovery's I have worked on, there is an additional cover located in the cloths closets floor. In my short coach, all I can see with it removed is the top of the radiator and the coolant overflow (actually it is a white plastic pressurized surge tank). In some of the longer coaches you can see the front of the engine.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Engine Top 1.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	292.0 KB
ID:	359287   Click image for larger version

Name:	20210319_135145.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	308.4 KB
ID:	359288  

Old 03-16-2022, 03:58 PM   #7

I have a 2008 Discovery 40x. I too had a leak. It was on the upper rad hose and the clamp had rusted and was just hanging on. You can see this clamp from the bed access. The leak appeared it was coming from the water pump weep hole, it was not. Removed the bed access and was able to remove S/S clamp and replace with a much better band clamp.
Problem solved.
basketball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2022, 05:39 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by basketball View Post
I have a 2008 Discovery 40x. I too had a leak. It was on the upper rad hose and the clamp had rusted and was just hanging on. You can see this clamp from the bed access. The leak appeared it was coming from the water pump weep hole, it was not. Removed the bed access and was able to remove S/S clamp and replace with a much better band clamp.
Problem solved.
Remember, a lot of manufacturers recommend and use a constant tension or constant torque hose clamp. These will keep pressure on the nose connection during expansion and contraction as the coolant changes temperatures.
Attached Images

Old 03-17-2022, 05:41 AM   #9

Could be a soft plug leaking
2cyber71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2022, 09:56 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cyber71 View Post
Could be a soft plug leaking
What is a soft plug?
Old 03-17-2022, 09:57 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by basketball View Post
Problem solved.
Did you find this while the engine was running or was it just obvious to you when you pulled the cover?
Old 03-18-2022, 06:02 PM   #12

Build up water pressure turn off and look at stat housing. If it is leaking move the rad hose and move clamp. It will run down the face of the engine and you will have no way of knowing where it is coming from.
basketball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2022, 06:31 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTsBoss View Post
What is a soft plug?
I believe the term "Soft Plug" is synonymous with Freeze Plug or Welch Plug or Core Plug or Sand Plug or in the old days it was that dang stupid engine plug is leaking again"!
Old 03-19-2022, 03:39 PM   #14

okay, lots of good info. I will get to working on it soon as we have a nice day. Last time I tried a quick look see I could NOT get the dang cover off the floor in the bedroom. Screws all came out but it was like the piece of plywood was wedged under the front of the bed. Do i need to take that apart? Im guessing so. One thing I still find odd is that the coolant only goes as low as the arrow on the plastic tank.
Thanks for all the help so far. I will keep this updated.
JT

Tags
cover, discovery, engine, free, leak