Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-10-2010, 09:11 AM   #1

Ford Super Duty Owner
2009 Fleetwood Bounder 38p

My wife and I have been looking at motor home's as you all well know it is very hard to find something that pleases both. We started out looking at 40' but decided it was too much rig for our first motor home plus we are not going to be full time. We landed on a 36-38 foot size.

My wife likes the Bounder 38p layout , I was wondering if this MH with the Ford V-10 Triton will have enough engine to pull a Acadia or Dodge Ram 1500 4x4.

Any comments, suggestions, and mileage stats would be welcome.

Starting to get a bit overwhelmed looking at MH's

Thanks Rickj
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-10-2010, 09:42 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Hi Rickj, if your tow capacity is 5000 lbs. towing the 4x4 could be a problem. If you are towing a mid-size car and you don't want to drive at 60 mph. in the mountains, I'm sure you'll be fine. Smokeater75
Old 10-10-2010, 09:32 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Either an Acadia or a Dodge 4x4 is going to be stretching the limits. Both are 5000 lbs or more and 5k is the towing limit for a gas Bounder (or any most coach on the F53 Ford chassis). It may well be less than that - mine gas coach had about a 4400 lb tow capacity once it was loaded up, even though the hitch was rated for 5k.

You need to look into GCWR and the loaded coach weight to see what it can tow.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 08:59 AM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks for everyones comments , yes the 09 Bounder 38p comes with Ford chassis and it would be a stretch to tow the Acadia (GCWR would be close)

I am now looking at a several (07 Bounder 38p). The 07 38p has a workhorse w24 with a 6,000 lb hitch which I am guessing would get the job done. I am not sure why they switched to Ford in 09 ,didn't check 08.

Any comments about the 07 38p MH would be welcome.

Thanks Again
Rickj
Old 10-11-2010, 03:03 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Rick, we have a pace Arrow 38P with the 8.1. We toe a Jeep Liberty 4x4 with no problem. Haven't done much real mountain driving yet but I'm sure we'll make it OK. Just a little FYI.
offshore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 03:48 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Johnson View Post

The 07 38p has a workhorse w24
Any comments about the 07 38p MH would be welcome.

Thanks Again
Rickj
Do yourself a favor and go to the Workhorse section of the forum and do a lot of reading, especially about the brakes. I'm not familiar enough with chassis numbers but check it out for yourself.