Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-06-2019, 08:30 PM   #1

American Coach Owners Club
2010 Eagle Entry Door

I have a question concerning the air pressure locking of the avionics entry door on my 2010 American Eagle 45B.
It took me 3 weeks to finally figure out that the horizontal toggle switch next to the passenger seat was what controlled the air pressure licking system for the entry door.
My problem is this. When the switch is in the forward position, the door is air locked, however, when I open the door from the inside, I can hear the pressure release and the door will open. Once I go outside and close the door, even with the engine stopped and key out of the ignition, the air pressure immediately repressurizes and locks the door (avionics lock only) the normal lock stays unlocked. I am effectively locked out and although I can raise the outer latch, the door will not open. Luckily, both times it happened, my wife was inside and could open the door for me.
This only occurs when the switch is in the forward position. In the back position, everything works properly.
Is this "normal " operation? Or is there a release inside the door handle itself that is releasing when the inside handle is used but not releasing with the outside handle?
Or, is this an operation that should never occur in the first place? A lot of work was done at the dealer correcting air leaks. Including a punctured airline inside the panel the switch is mounted to.
Any thoughts on this?
CompuGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-07-2019, 04:51 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
2010 Eagle Entry Door

Quote:
Originally Posted by CompuGuru View Post
I have a question concerning the air pressure locking of the avionics entry door on my 2010 American Eagle 45B.
It took me 3 weeks to finally figure out that the horizontal toggle switch next to the passenger seat was what controlled the air pressure licking system for the entry door.
My problem is this. When the switch is in the forward position, the door is air locked, however, when I open the door from the inside, I can hear the pressure release and the door will open. Once I go outside and close the door, even with the engine stopped and key out of the ignition, the air pressure immediately repressurizes and locks the door (avionics lock only) the normal lock stays unlocked. I am effectively locked out and although I can raise the outer latch, the door will not open. Luckily, both times it happened, my wife was inside and could open the door for me.
This only occurs when the switch is in the forward position. In the back position, everything works properly.
Is this "normal " operation? Or is there a release inside the door handle itself that is releasing when the inside handle is used but not releasing with the outside handle?
Or, is this an operation that should never occur in the first place? A lot of work was done at the dealer correcting air leaks. Including a punctured airline inside the panel the switch is mounted to.
Any thoughts on this?
When you are experimenting with the engine off and the key out of the ignition, do you have your maxi-brake(parking brake) pulled out?? Not having the brake pulled out is the key to the issue. I would double check the brake position first.
Car1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 05:55 AM   #3

Transmission is in neutral and the yellow parking brake is set (pulled out).
Old 06-07-2019, 06:05 AM   #4

Car1, I totally agree with you and thank you. This is NOT normal behavior of the avionics system and should be disabled as soon as the parking brake is set. I'm at the REV technical service center right now waiting on a replacement jack and will bring it up with Ted, my service writer.
I was hesitant to discuss it with REV, because of the $129/hr service fee, but this could end up costing me much more than that if i get locked out again.
Thanks for the pointer!
Old 06-08-2019, 06:06 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Post the end result. I know your pain on the labor rate. I was at REV in Decatur and was charged 1/2 hour labor for asking a question!!
Car1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 07:20 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
I hate to break it to you, but $129 is relatively low. I've been to two Freightliner dealers in the last three weeks, one was $150/hour the other (in Dallas) was $189. Those rates are $10 and $24 above the truck rates.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door, entry door