RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-25-2014, 07:14 PM   #1

2010 Fleetwood Discovery Radiator

I have a 2010 Discovery 40g model with 18,000 miles and the radiator failed. It has a hole located in the backside of the radiator, next to the fan, and there's no sign of any road damage to the radiator, and it appears to have just failed and it leaks. Does anyone have any thoughts or information about radiator problems in these models?
Kstock is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-25-2014, 07:58 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
While undergoing routine maintenance at our preferred Cummins shop last December, they discovered a radiator leak and called Spartan. They were informed that there was a technical bulletin on it and that Spartan would pay for the new radiator only, meaning that we had to pay for the labor to switch it out. There were also hoses that needed to go as well and took a few months to arrive. I do not know if it was just a lot of radiators or an extensive number. Cummins was able to get it together enough for us to go on a 4000 mile round trip with the new radiator and we just went back to do the hoses in June. By then, coolant was spraying out the back grill.

All is good now though - good luck to you!
Fencebuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 11:18 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Fence, any chance you still have the Spartan technical bulletin around? Would love to read that.
Old 07-28-2014, 06:32 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Sorry to say that I never saw the bulletin. Our Cummins service rep was told about it when he called Spartan. It was then sent to the Cummins shop. I wonder if calling Spartan customer service could get that bulletin over to you. They have been helpful to me whenever I have had a question in the past. The tip off to Cummins is that they thought that it was too early in the life of the motor home/chassis to have the issue. We had about the same number of miles as you have - so clearly - there is or was something going on. We never called Fleetwood but I would be surprised if they didn't know about this if it affected more than a few units.The labor was pretty heavy on getting into the shoehorned engine to make all of the repairs. Knowing what I know now, I would press for more than just the cost of the radiator and look for assistance on the replacement.
Old 07-30-2014, 09:13 PM   #5

I'm not alone... I had a coolant leak almost from day one. But it was so slight I never saw it leaking. After 3 years a saw a puddle on the drieway. I took it to my RV repair place and few phone call with some pictures with Spartan they covered everything but the coolant.
Old 07-31-2014, 07:08 AM   #6

Is the op discovery on a spartan chassis?
Old 07-31-2014, 07:22 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
If it is in fact a Spartan chassis involved, I can tell you that I was one of the beta testers for the new style radiator. I had 4 radiator failures in 60,000 miles. They switched over to a bar and plate design which is way more stout than the old tube and fin style. I can report that it has been over 30,000 miles without a failure. If the chassis is within the 3/50000 warranty, Spartan will cover the entire install. If the trailer hitch is dropped from the chassis, the rad can be installed pretty easy straight from underneath. Spartan had the complete r/r in under 6 hours. I had it done there, and they are quite adept at the procedure now. Even if the chassis is out of warranty, I believe if you bring it back to Charlotte, they will heavily discount the labor as well as look for other common problems on this chassis.
Cbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 10:11 PM   #8

Help Spartan Radiator Leak!!

I am adding on to this to find out some information. I have a 2010 Fleetwood Discovery 40G on the Spartan Chassis also. The Radiator has been leaking for the past 2 years and I have just put up with it. It has continued to get worse. I visited a Truck serice Center who called Spartan and they informed them that since it was out of Warranty that they can not do anything. They did acknowledge the Tech Bulletin.

Has anyone had there radiators replaced by Spartan after there warranty had expired.

Any help appreciated as a $4700.00 cost out of my pocket is hard to swallow.

THANKS everyone!!
NZ Discovery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 02:37 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
I am sorry to hear about your situation. I would try to contact Spartan directly. Let them know that had you known there was a known issue, you would have pursued it while under warranty. I don't know where you are located, but someone wrote earlier that Spartan would heavily discount the labor if you took it to them here in Charlotte, MI. It is a big hit, I know! Someone is driving around with our 2010 40K and enjoying the fix on our dime. That's one of the reasons we switched to a different unit. So much more room to get into the engine compartment with the new one. I definitely would throw myself directly on Spartan's mercy. Might help if you let them know you have seen a discussion on the forum and seems like more than a few folks have been affected. Also noteworthy that people have received help from them beyond the warranty period and you are hoping for the same. Good luck! Let us know if they stand up for you.
Old 04-08-2015, 09:07 PM   #10

Sorry to hear about your radiator problems, My radiator leaked from month one. It was a slow leak never saw anything on the ground every few months I had to add a little coolant. In 2013 it became very noticeable I could see the coolant on the frame rails.
The coach was just a few months away from the end of the warranty period. The shop I use in LA had to fight tooth and nail with Spartan to warranty the radiator. After several emails and pictures Spartan covered everything but the new coolant.

I was told Spartan is the better chassis to own, I have my doubts. I've had no problems with the house portion of this Fleetwood product, but I've had the transmission removed and sent back to MI, an engine oil leak that Cummins did not want to cover, a second oil leak Cummins would not cover, the turbo failed and was replaced a few months back and Cummins would not cover that either.

And now the check engine light is on again. I love the floor plan, but really hate all the mechanical problems this coach has had.

Fortunately for me the extended warranty has covered everything.

Good luck with Spartan....
Old 06-03-2020, 01:32 PM   #11

Fleetwood Radiator and now the reservoir

6 months before the warranty ended our radiator split. After 3 months Spartan finally approved and paid.

Fast forward and i was just leaving to finally get out of the house (damn cornavirus) got, 15 miles away and the reservoir has a small crack in it.

Turned around and made it home. Pulled the tank off and applying JB Weld. Been on hold for 1:04 minutes with Fleetwood parts.

Wont be buying another one..
evansj2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 05:01 PM   #12

We just bought a used 2010 Fleetwood Discovery 40X. We were in the process of driving it home to Alaska when a rock punctured the radiator. Motorhome had to be put on a flatbed to a town where repairs could be made. Ended up driving the radiator in our tow car another 283 miles for radiator repair.
After reading all these posts, wondering if we should have gone with a new radiator.
Mallardhen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 07:47 AM   #13

Discoverey 40G - Power

Hello folks,

I hope that it is ok to contact you so as to ask a couple of questions nt related to the unfortunate radiator issue you had. I wanted to ask about the 40X, as to your opinions on the engine horsepower and get up and go when towing on hills, ect. Do you feel that the Cummings 6.7 engine is minimal or do you feel that the 360 hp engine is more than enough power for your motor home.

Thank you
jerryd13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 12:06 AM   #14

More than enough power

We traveled through some areas with very steep gradeson our journey to Alaska.. Our coach had more than enough power to handle them.
Mallardhen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fleetwood, radiator