Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-08-2016, 07:40 PM   #1

2011 Fleetwood Storm.....grey tank not emptying completely

Hello-

New RV'er. My RV-owning friend said that when you buy an RV, there will always be SOMETHING not right.....

So....my second "practice" overnight camping trip with my 2011 Fleetwood Storm. When it didn't completely empty the first time, I figured operator error. For the second time, however, the grey water tank again did not completely empty when I dumped unless I use the hydraulic levelers to tilt the RV toward the side (driver's side) where the dump hoses are hooked up.

Also, from a previous thread, my RV house is slightly tilted to the passenger's side (passenger side 2" lower than driver's side). I thought that might be the culprit since the dump valves are on the driver's side, so I simply leveled the RV using the jacks. No dice. Grey water tank indicator in the house showed 1/2 full. I raised the right side up a few inches more with the hydraulic jacks and then the water started flowing. The flow from the grey tank stopped and the indicator finally showed empty.

Is this normal? Is there anything I can do about this? It would be nice to dump without having to mess around with the leveling system.
ualdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-09-2016, 03:04 AM   #2

It's hard to believe your gray water tank will still be half full after you dump with the trailer level, and your indicators seem to be correct as per your description, but it is possible.

Take a look under your unit and inspect the mounting brackets for the tanks.
You may have one side not being held up/supported into the proper position as required.

Look closely at the mounting brackets and hangers for your suspension on both sides of your trailer, look for anything that is different between the left and right side. Anything different may indicated a problem.

Items in particular: Distance between the axle and the frame, left and right.
Spring leaf on low side flatter than on the high side.
Spring leaf thickness different between the two sides.
Bolts placed in higher or lower mounting positions.

I don't think you would have an issue with axle damage as far as bending, you would have discovered this long ago.

Hope that helps

DTW
Dtwallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 05:01 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Your sensors for your tank may not be mounted correctly. When I first bought mine, my fresh tank showed half full when it was empty. They had to adjust the placement on the tank. I guess it depends on how much water comes out after you raise the side of the rv with the jacks. If it is only a couple gallons your probably fine and need to adjust sensors.
Old 05-09-2016, 04:16 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtwallace View Post
It's hard to believe your gray water tank will still be half full after you dump with the trailer level, and your indicators seem to be correct as per your description, but it is possible.

Take a look under your unit and inspect the mounting brackets for the tanks.
You may have one side not being held up/supported into the proper position as required.

Look closely at the mounting brackets and hangers for your suspension on both sides of your trailer, look for anything that is different between the left and right side. Anything different may indicated a problem.

Items in particular: Distance between the axle and the frame, left and right.
Spring leaf on low side flatter than on the high side.
Spring leaf thickness different between the two sides.
Bolts placed in higher or lower mounting positions.

I don't think you would have an issue with axle damage as far as bending, you would have discovered this long ago.

Hope that helps

DTW
Thanks. I started a thread about my "tilted" house on the frame a week or two back. Apparently it's not uncommon and the choices were either put a spacer in, put in an airbag system, or just live with it. I'll probably just live with it for now.

I'll take a look at the tank. I'm not sure where it is, but I would imagine it's pretty hard to hide a tank of that size.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojoracing View Post
Your sensors for your tank may not be mounted correctly. When I first bought mine, my fresh tank showed half full when it was empty. They had to adjust the placement on the tank. I guess it depends on how much water comes out after you raise the side of the rv with the jacks. If it is only a couple gallons your probably fine and need to adjust sensors.
Is that a do-it-yourself job? I would guess it's the sensor as well. Some water definitely flowed out when I lifted the right side of the house with the jacks but not 20+ gallons worth.
Old 05-09-2016, 09:37 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
My sensors were built into what looked like a piece of black foam tape. The dealer moved them when I had problems so Im not sure if the individual sensors were moved or the whole piece of foam was moved and the sensors kept there spacing just moved up and down on the tank but looking at it, its certainly something you can do yourself.
Old 05-09-2016, 09:39 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojoracing View Post
My sensors were built into what looked like a piece of black foam tape. The dealer moved them when I had problems so Im not sure if the individual sensors were moved or the whole piece of foam was moved and the sensors kept there spacing just moved up and down on the tank but looking at it, its certainly something you can do yourself.
Where's the access to the tank? Is it under the bed?

Tags
fleetwood, grey tank, tank