RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-26-2016, 10:14 PM   #1

2011 Fleetwood Storm- tire pressure from tire chart seems low?

I went to a State Police weigh station and they allowed me to weigh my RV, fully loaded as I normally start out a road trip (full gas, water, empty gray&black, luggage, groceries, etc.). The front axle was 6,100 lbs and the rear axle was 10,480 lbs. I couldn't weigh the weight on each tire, but just for the sake or argument, I'll assume each front tire carries 3,050 lbs. of weight and each rear tire carries 2,620 lbs. of weight.

I was reading somewhere on this forum that one is supposed to go into a tire chart to determine how much air pressure to put into the tire, so I called Continental Tire (my tire's manufacturer), and got the charts I attached to this post.

So if I'm reading this correctly, my front tires should be inflated to 75 psi cold, and each of my rear tires should be inflated to 70 psi cold............is that correct? That just seems like a REALLY low pressure to keep the tires at. I currently have my tires set at 100 psi, and when one looks at the contact patch, it looks like the tire flattens a bit. With 70 psi, I would imagine the tire would look pretty darn flat, no?

Do you guys run that low with your air pressure with similar tire loadings??

Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Continental Tire pressure table.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	242.0 KB
ID:	134272   Click image for larger version

Name:	Continental tire pressure table, close up.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	236.6 KB
ID:	134273  

ualdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-27-2016, 10:08 PM   #2

Those load/inflation charts show the absolute minimum air pressure to support the corresponding load. It is a fact over 90% of all tire failures are the result of under-inflation/overloading.
None of the tire manufacturers recommend running less air pressure than what's stated on the tire placard in the vehicle.
Many folks misunderstand those charts to believe that is the best air pressure, which is not true, or the tire manufacturers would so state. Chapter 4, pg 55 of this Rubber Manufacturers Association pdf clearly states that.
"
However, never use inflation pressure lower than
specified by the vehicle tire placard, certification
label or owner’s manual. Nor should inflation
pressure exceed the maximum pressure molded on
the tire sidewall."
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 10:40 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
Those load/inflation charts show the absolute minimum air pressure to support the corresponding load. It is a fact over 90% of all tire failures are the result of under-inflation/overloading.
None of the tire manufacturers recommend running less air pressure than what's stated on the tire placard in the vehicle.
Many folks misunderstand those charts to believe that is the best air pressure, which is not true, or the tire manufacturers would so state. Chapter 4, pg 55 of this Rubber Manufacturers Association pdf clearly states that.
"
However, never use inflation pressure lower than
specified by the vehicle tire placard, certification
label or owner’s manual. Nor should inflation
pressure exceed the maximum pressure molded on
the tire sidewall."
That makes sense. And I went looking for that placard you mentioned and saw that Fleetwood wants 95psi on the fronts and 100psi on the rears. Guess I missed that : )

Thanks.
Old 07-29-2016, 11:35 AM   #4

I think we have the same unit, 2013 storm 32BH, and just checked the placard next to the drivers seat and it has 82 psi front and rear. Am I missing something? Getting ready for a trip and wanted to check the tires before departing.
Old 07-30-2016, 01:16 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

The RV placard is usually the pressure needed when the axle is loaded to its max rated capacity. The RV maker doesn't know how much weight you will carry, so he has to assume worst case (fully loaded at both ends). If you get actual scaled weights, you can use what the inflation tables specify, but you want to allow for two situations:
1. One end of an axle is heavier than the other. This is VERY common in RVs. A common estimate is to to add 5% or 10% to 1/2 the axle weight. For example, in your case Axle_weight/2 + 10% is 6100/2 + 305 = 3355. Use that weight to look up the required inflation.

2. Daily changes in temperature and possible slight pressure losses over time. Always allow some extra above the minimum inflation for these factors. 5-10% extra above the minimum is a good choice.

If you are happy with the way it rides and drives using the pressures on the placard, there is no compelling reason to change it. However, if a lower pressure is sufficient, you might get a somewhat softer ride on bumpy roads.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 07:18 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverh View Post
I think we have the same unit, 2013 storm 32BH, and just checked the placard next to the drivers seat and it has 82 psi front and rear. Am I missing something? Getting ready for a trip and wanted to check the tires before departing.
I attached the same placard from my 2011 Storm 30SA, which is smaller and I assume lighter than yours.

I've been running at around 110psi because I didn't know any better, and my ride has been HARSH. Seems like I feel every expansion joint going down the highway. I lowered it down to just above 100psi on all 4 corners for my last road trip and the ride was slightly better. I'm going to try 95PSI on the front and 100psi on there rear and see how that goes.....or maybe I need to get a diesel pusher for a better ride : )
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	placard.png
Views:	104
Size:	354.0 KB
ID:	134545  
Old 07-31-2016, 12:59 PM   #7

UAL Driver; I just checked my placard and the only difference is in the front and rear GAWR. Yours is 7000# 19.5 x 6. Mine is 7000# 19.5 x 6.75. The rears are Yours; 12000# 19.5 x6, Mine is 12000# 19.5 x 6.75. Other than those two sets of numbers everything else is the same. Mine; GVWR 18000. GCWR 23000. The other differences are PSI. Front PSI 82, Rear PSI 82. To say I'm confused is an understatement. How can two units with the same weights have such different PSI's.
Old 07-31-2016, 01:47 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverh View Post
UAL Driver; I just checked my placard and the only difference is in the front and rear GAWR. Yours is 7000# 19.5 x 6. Mine is 7000# 19.5 x 6.75. The rears are Yours; 12000# 19.5 x6, Mine is 12000# 19.5 x 6.75. Other than those two sets of numbers everything else is the same. Mine; GVWR 18000. GCWR 23000. The other differences are PSI. Front PSI 82, Rear PSI 82. To say I'm confused is an understatement. How can two units with the same weights have such different PSI's.
Yeah, it is confusing. After having read Gary's and Ray's posts, I'm just going to play with the pressure using the placard and the tire manufacturer table as a guide and go from there. I'm not sure there is a right answer but 80psi seems awfully low IMO.
Old 01-16-2017, 09:02 PM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
Tire pressure Charts

Best idea is to find out tire manufacturer, get their tire specific pressure/weight chart and take your actual weights to find the correct tire pressures for your axels.
jerryduffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 08:23 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
If you want your vehicle to ride like a rock and handle poorly, then inflate to the tire placard in the rv. If you want it to ride nice and smooth and handle well, run what the chart says from continental. These are the proper inflation for the weight you are running. Yes they are the minimum for that weight and I would recommend a four corner weigh in. For now you could run perhaps 10% more in case your load is not balanced well side to side. If you run those higher pressures or for that matter lower pressures that don't match your weight, you will run into tire wear issues. I have run the proper inflation of the Michelin chart (what is on my vehicle) on two motorhome for 11 years and 160,000 miles without a single issue. To recommend running the placard pressure with no regard for weight is just good advise.

Tags
ems, fleetwood, tire pressure