Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-07-2016, 07:41 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapid rick View Post
Hey tim,
Yeah it was me , I took the exhaust off, spun it 180 degrees so it exited behind the genset, cut off about 3 feet of excess pipe. While it was off I scuffed the pipe with scotchbrite pad, washed with laquer thinner,then painted pipe with 2 coats of rustoleum high temp stove paint. After it dried,I wrapped with header wrap,and put stainless tip back on,reinstalled pipe. I also think a lot of heat that exits from the genset itself is contributing to the fuel line getting too hot, I'm thinking the hot air is getting trapped up between the frame rails/cargo holds area,especially when parked,or in slow traffic,etc. My genset has worked ok since mods have been done, but if it should start acting up,I'm thinking a tin sweeping shroud to divert the hot air to the outboard area might be next logical step to divert hot air away from underside of coach.If you ever lay on ground while genset is running, you'll see what I mean about amount of heat exiting genset... I'm always thinking ahead,looking for something `to fix before it's even a friggin problem just can't leave it alone.......
Rick-

If I wanted to wrap my genset exhaust with header wrap, is it necessary to do all those steps (scuff, wash, paint) that you mention, or can one just apply the wrap directly to the generator exhaust?

Thanks.
ualdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-08-2016, 12:25 PM   #16

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ualdriver View Post
Rick-

If I wanted to wrap my genset exhaust with header wrap, is it necessary to do all those steps (scuff, wash, paint) that you mention, or can one just apply the wrap directly to the generator exhaust?

Thanks.
No, those steps can be skipped if you wish,I just did it to keep pipe from prematurely rusting. I also sprayed the header wrap with a water proofing coating,that you buy separately. I'm sure most would not do the obsessive things that I do, It's just how I do things, sooooo... if you ever see my coach for sale.....buy it, it's thoroughly adjusted,tweeked,debugged,upgraded,and detailed to a nats butt and I'm still not done, I'm going out now to see what else does NOT need to be done.. Maybe stock the spice rack with nip bottles, the ones I have seemed to have their contents leak out or something,a real mystery....

Rapid Rick
2013 Fleetwood Terra 35K
rapid rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 01:43 PM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
Hey Rick,

I had FW install their Engine Doghouse insulation kit. It really made a difference in the noise through the doghouse but in taking a good look from below they did a pretty lousy job. I will try to get some pictures for you and the others. I think they used the stick on foil backed stuff, but I will post more when I know.
Old 11-08-2016, 05:36 PM   #18

Fleetwood Owners Club
Hey Tim,

You didn't leave the nip bottles in the spice rack when you dropped off your coach for the dog house insulation did you??? That could be why the job is not to your liking, I sometime wish I had several years of working left in me, I could make a very good living doing repairs MY WAY on all your coaches. I ran my business for 26 years in the manufactured housing industry and only did rv's in the last 8 years or so, then oldness settled in. My phone still rings, no one left that is willing to go the extra mile . I love working on these things, just wish it didn't hurt so much the next day......

Rapid Rick
2013 Fleetwood Terra 35K
Old 11-08-2016, 06:46 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim myers View Post
Hey Rick,

I had FW install their Engine Doghouse insulation kit. It really made a difference in the noise through the doghouse but in taking a good look from below they did a pretty lousy job. I will try to get some pictures for you and the others. I think they used the stick on foil backed stuff, but I will post more when I know.
I was thinking of doing that to mine next spring. Does it keep the heat from transmitting through the doghouse too?

I'd be interested in seeing the pictures.
Old 11-09-2016, 12:53 AM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
Could be a couple weeks, I have a wedding to go to this weekend
Old 12-11-2016, 08:20 PM   #21

Winnebago Owners Club
Well, it has been more than a couple weeks but I finally had some time to take pictures of the insulation work. When FW explained the insulation they explained that it was the doghouse that was getting insulated and that they simply removed it and insulated it on the shop floor. Now, I think I have my terminology correct but the dog house is the entire engine cover, not just the removable section, right? I was told it was only a 2 hour operation and that they would have it dome by the time I arrived. Cost was $262. I said go for it.

Here are a few pictures I took today.

I may be mistaken but while the access cover looks like the insulation was expertly applied the rest of the dog house is well dog, you know what I mean. It is basically hit and miss with more miss than hit. I am assuming they did not remove the doghouse or they would have been able to do a better job, and that they had to just apply it as best they could.

What they failed to mention was that cost of the insulation material was $262, the labor was another $300.

Now the main reason for going to Decatur was to fix the genset overheating issues. I was told and the repair sheet states that they relocated a new fuel pump to the rear of the unit. I looked and cannot find a fuel pump anywhere along the entire coach length, nor can I find that entry in the itemized section of the repair sheet. When I prime the generator I still hear the fuel pump clicking at the generator, not in the rear. I didn't pay attention to any additional shields mainly because I didn't know what was there before I had the repair work done. I will look again next time I am out. They did install the vent in the door, and they did add a return line, but they have yet to respond to my e-mail asking for an explanation of the operation of the return line. I know how they work on certain aircraft fuel systems but wanted to understand it's function. No response as yet.

Please don't take me wrong, I really like my FW coach, but I am a little less than thrilled with their efforts.

Anyone that has had the fuel pump relocated please let me know where it might because I cannot find it anywhere.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20161211_125128.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	362.1 KB
ID:	146505   Click image for larger version

Name:	20161211_125134.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	325.3 KB
ID:	146506  

Click image for larger version

Name:	20161211_125138.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	383.9 KB
ID:	146507   Click image for larger version

Name:	20161211_125226.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	324.8 KB
ID:	146508  

Old 12-12-2016, 03:00 PM   #22

Quote:

Anyone that has had the fuel pump relocated please let me know where it might because I cannot find it anywhere.
Not sure what I'm looking at with those pictures. Are those supposed to be shots of the doghouse area?

As far as the fuel pump goes, can you follow the fuel line from the generator back to the fuel tank? The new pump has to be in-line there somewhere.
Old 12-12-2016, 03:53 PM   #23

Winnebago Owners Club
All pictures from the rear of the engine. First three are on the left side and the last is from the right side. Yup have to turn them.enoigh to pick out the cylinder heads
Old 12-12-2016, 04:09 PM   #24

Fleetwood Owners Club
Tim,
I was just examining those pics, wow, hate to say it but I would not recommend that anyone pay fleetwood that kind of money to do that. I removed the doghouse, seats,and carpeting on my coach,then did the entire floor,doghouse,up under dash area with dynamat,then installed ecofiber carpet padding and new high quality carpet, total material cost $455.00. Doing ALL this has changed the noise level while driving,dramatically, I can say that I don't think you will notice that kind of difference. I am sorry that you did not get nearly what you paid for, and shame on fleetwood for charging so much to do so little,I hope that the tech that did the job on your coach reads this and has trouble sleeping tonite, as he does NOT DESERVE ANY!!!!!!!!!

Rapid Rick
2013 Fleetwood Terra 35K
Old 12-12-2016, 07:54 PM   #25

Winnebago Owners Club
I agree. Are the seats fastened to weld nuts or through bolds with loose nuts? Also how is the doghouse fastened down?
Old 12-12-2016, 07:57 PM   #26

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ualdriver View Post
Not sure what I'm looking at with those pictures. Are those supposed to be shots of the doghouse area?

As far as the fuel pump goes, can you follow the fuel line from the generator back to the fuel tank? The new pump has to be in-line there somewhere.
I followed the fuel supply and return to lines till they disappeared through a hole through the frame along side the gas tank. I have doubts they removed the gas tank to add a fuel pump but maybe!
Old 12-13-2016, 12:46 AM   #27

Quote:
I followed the fuel supply and return to lines till they disappeared through a hole through the frame along side the gas tank. I have doubts they removed the gas tank to add a fuel pump but maybe!
That's odd. If they were going to relocate it, you'd think they would put it someplace easy to access- maybe somewhere along one of the chassis frame rails where it could be protected as well. Sounds like they didn't move it at all.
Old 12-13-2016, 06:07 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtster View Post
Hi forum,
We purchased our Terra 31TS brand new in 2011, and while in many ways it's been great, we've had a couple of significant problems that the dealer/manufacturer can't seem to fix.
Living in So. Cal, and having kids in school means we do our biggest trips in the summer, and that means heat. Driving across the desert, we need to run the generator to use an air conditioner to keep the temperature reasonable inside. Well, when it gets hot outside (above about 105), the generator quits, and will not restart, leaving us to sweat thru the rest of the drive.
Usually, this is about the time that our propane tank overheats, and blows off the safety valve to keep from exploding. Not only is this expensive, but it's very scary, and dumping raw propane overboard while driving cannot be safe.
We had the coach into the shop for these problems so many times, that Fleetwood eventually replaced the generator with a new efi unit, and that was supposed to be the end all cure to the problem. Well, it's not, and the thing still quits when it gets hot.
Has anyone else had these kinds of problems? Do I have a lemon? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Curt
I feel your pain... been there done that.... try'n to explain the heat problem to those up north is a waist... I don't even waist my time with Fleetwood... Ive fixed all of mine and fixed those of friends...One of the problems is the fuel line gets too hot... is your gen on the front drivers side , with the propane on the front passenger side? I actually fixed these for Fleetwood, now they have a desert up grade where they move a few things around and put a vent on the gen door
LVRVLUVR is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ems, problems