RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-28-2014, 09:41 AM   #1

2012 Bounder 35k

Hello everyone! My name is Gayle and I'm new to the forum. We have been looking at diesel motorhomes but tripped across this 2012 Fleetwood Bounder 35k, #9342 - 2012 Fleetwood Bounder 35K Bath & 1/2 W/2 Slides for sale in Alvarado TX. I really like the floor plan but disappointed it doesn't show a OH bunk. Have a few questions. We have had everything from a 26' Shasta to a 31' airstream, including a 26' Minnie Winnie so not new to rving but new to larger motorhomes.

They are asking $89,950 for this unit but am sure they will come down some. It has 10,535 miles with 49 hrs on generator. There are just the two of us and two Boston Terriers. Of course there are grandchildren who will go sometimes also. I am 65 and hubby is 78. Due to his age and health issues I will be doing most of the driving ( bit apprehensive ).

We plan on being gone for a month-2 months at a time. Driving to destination and parking for a week-2weeks and then moving on.

Is this a good unit for that purpose or should I continue looking for a diesel? Would appreciate any feedback.
texaslady is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-28-2014, 09:52 AM   #2
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Welcome to irv2. I think its perfect for your needs. I had a 35 E and went everywhere with it. Diesel units do have pluses ( and minuses ) IMO. You'll have to go to an older unit to stay in that price range if you go diesel.
Cliff

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 10:38 AM   #3

bounder

hello!
my wife and I own a 2011 bounder 35k. it has a bath 1/2 and we just love it. we have had no issues and she drives with no problems. sounds like a good deal. have a pro check it out and have a great time.
Wildcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 11:02 AM   #4

Thanks Cliff. Do you know how big a vehicle can be towed with the Bounder 35k? Also abt what kind of mileage to expect? As my son says, I am the proverbiale granny driver, lol, so will probably stay around 65.
Old 06-28-2014, 11:23 AM   #5
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Your towing capacity is 5000. Lbs. mileage is debatable. I averaged around 7 mpg. Towing a 3300 vehicle.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 03:03 PM   #6

I also had a array of RVs, pop-up, trailers, Class C gas, Class A diesel, Class C+ diesel and now a 2014 Bounder 35K Class A gas. My largest MH had a 400 hp diesel and weighed about 35,000 pounds. Comparing my current to the past, it does have less power than the diesels and also diesels could tow 10,000 pounds. As previously stated, the Bounder can tow 5000 pounds. I get about 7.5 mpg without my 3700 pound toad and about 7 mpg when towing my car.

I do feel that the wind from the trucks passing pushes me around much more than my heavier motorhomes. However, after a couple thousand miles driving the gas unit, i have gotten use to counter steering when the trucks go past me. I will be adding a steering stabilizer toward the end of this year.

The second difference between the diesel and gas MH was the stopping ability. Air brakes on a diesel are better and the diesels have some sort of exhaust brake which uses the engine to slow down. What I did to compensate is that when I drive my gas motorhome in traffic, I use the tow/haul mode which uses a little more fuel, but uses engine power to decrease your speed by downshifting the transmission. I also purchased a new Brake Buddy for my toad which can be used in the full braking mode or proportional braking mode. Both of these have helped decrease my stopping distance when towing my car.

I do like my 2014 Bounder 35K. I feel the layout is the best one I have owned. Yes, you are right that an overhead bed is nice to have. We just use the dinette as a guest bed. We just have to invite shorter friends. As my wife, me and our two dogs are the primary occupants of the MH, we do just fine. I was a little nervous at first about my downsizing, but I am definitely a happy camper now.

Good luck in your decision and the price you quoted for this rig is pretty good.

Jim

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Kpjp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 02:36 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
We have a 2012 35k and really like it. Perfect for two people!! My daughter and her husband came with us one weekend...he ended up on the dinette bed and she in the sofa. Neither is big enough for two people comfortably, but more than adequate for one person.
I think you will love it. My husband does the bulk of the driving. He says it is much easier to drive than the last MH we had, which was a 198 fleetwood 31 ft class c.
Happy travels!
Old 06-30-2014, 06:32 AM   #8

Hello Jim thanks for your reply. Has read some negative posts concerning the Bounder 35k and was wondering if you have encountered any of the following:
1. Poor visibility at night with headlights
2. Excessive rear end sway
3. Very uncomfortable seating on the L couch
4. Rear bath poorly heated

Would appreciate any input on the above mentioned items. We are very interested in the unit at MHS RV and hope to go up there later this week. It's a 4 hour drive for us.
The asking price is $89,995. What would be a decent offer?
Old 06-30-2014, 08:13 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by texaslady View Post
Hello Jim thanks for your reply. Has read some negative posts concerning the Bounder 35k and was wondering if you have encountered any of the following:

Would appreciate any input on the above mentioned items. We are very interested in the unit at MHS RV and hope to go up there later this week. It's a 4 hour drive for us.

1) I really have not driven this motorhome at night, so I can't really answer. I know a few people have had problems. I typically drive only 250 miles per day and then stop. I know it is not the most efficient way to travel, but my dogs get a little crazy if I push the travel day much longer. I also enjoy seeing the local sites if at all possible. These headlights are really designed for cars, a Jeep if I remember correctly, so I could imagine that they may not be great. I know a few people on this forum are trying to work this problem out with Fleetwood. As Fleetwood uses these same headlights on at least a few of their products, maybe a fix will be coming soon. I will add that one of my motorhomes, Sportcoach Elite, had small round headlights and I hated driving that motorhome at night time.
2) It does sway a little, but there are a couple products which would be in the $1000 range which could help this out. I noticed that the sway was worse when I first got the motorhome and was getting use to it. I did have a problem with my toad swaying because of looseness in the hitch. Because the motorhome's hitch is so high, I had to get an 8" drop to level out my tow bars. With an additional pivot point, i noticed the bars moving back and forth which caused the front of the car to move back and forth and the motorhome would then sway. My fix was to purchase and install (real easy to install) two locking devices for the hitch. I will find the information on the ones i purchased and post them in a few minutes.
3) My wife and I like the L shaped couch. One concern when we purchased this motorhome was that she was losing her Lazyboy recliner. The corner of this couch is her new spot and she is very happy. If you look on this forum under modifications you will see that Sarah took out her L shaped couch and replaced it with a Lazyboy dual recliner. I really do not feel a need to do that at this time, but maybe in a few years when our l shaped couch gets worn and no longer supports us, I would get a similar couch. Lazyboy furniture is costly, but on many of their products, the back is removable which makes it possible to get the couch into the motorhome.
4) I live in central Florida, so heat is not needed to often, but we did use the heat a couple times. We mostly used the heat pump and the fireplace. The rear air conditioner in our 35k is an air conditioner and a heat pump. I do not know if this type of unit is standard, but if you go through the modes in the thermostat and you see on zone 2, electric heat, then the unit has a heat pump. The rear bath was heated nicely with the heat pump operating. I could appreciate that the bath is pretty far from the gas furnace which may decrease its ability to heat the rear bath. You will have to ask some of our cold weather friends on this forum to assist you with this topic. We have the opposite problem with the 1/2 bath. This 1/2 bath gets warm as there is no air conditioning vents in the room. If we use our exterior awning, then it is not as bad, but when that awning is closed and it is hot outside, the bathroom is warmer than the rest of the coach. We corrected this problem by leaving the bathroom door open a couple inches.

It is hard to comment on the price of the motorhome without seeing the condition of the unit. If you look at KKB.com, Kelly blue Book for the specific model at least they will give you an idea. The amount does seem pretty good as the list price of a new 35k is about $150k and they can be purchased for about $125k.
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1404136119.069315.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	295.8 KB
ID:	66483

Old 06-30-2014, 10:41 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:

Howdy and welcome to iRV2! I'm not Jim, but I'd like to comment on the negatives you have posted.

The headlight issue is not specific to the Bounder nor to Fleetwood. In fact I would venture to guess that most RV manufacturers have the same issues, as evidenced by other posts on the forum. We don't do much night driving at all, so this has not been a huge deal for us.

We find the ride and handling of the Bounder to be fine, though we have only owned the one RV and have no basis for comparison. Most gassers with the long overhang in back will have a bit of "tail swing" that has to be considered when making tight turns, but we have not found any excessive swaying when on the road.

As far as the Extend-a-Lounge sofa...as you know, that is subjective. We changed ours out, but I think the majority of owners enjoy the sofa and have no problem with it. I'd suggest sitting on it and see what you think! Remember that most furnishings in any RV can be changed eventually to suit you.

We don't have a rear bath as our Bounder is the 33C, which is 2 feet shorter than the 35k and a single bath. I will say that we haven't had any heating issues with our furnace. In fact, in over 2 years we have had very few complaints with our Bounder. It is a great "bang for the buck."

Check out the condition of the unit you are considering carefully. If all systems and appliances work well and it is in good condition, that seems like a very good price. Google other similar units for sale and see how the price stacks up.

Good luck with your search. I can honestly say that we have really enjoyed our 2012 Bounder.
Old 06-30-2014, 12:38 PM   #11

Here is the device I used to decrease the sway being caused when towing my car. I used two and they definitely decreased the sway of my car.Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1404153392.957271.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	337.9 KB
ID:	66510

Old 06-30-2014, 06:59 PM   #12

For all of you Bounder 35k owners or future owners, take a look at Travel channels Mega RV Countdown. Actor, John Davidson, shows off his Bounder 35k which he is using to travel the country playing the Wizard in Wicked. The episode is called Epic Nascar RV. I just watched the show which I DVR on Thursday June 26.

Jim

Old 07-12-2014, 03:34 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:

To answer your questions.

1. Headlights could be better, my gulfstream was just as poor. There are different solutions to get better illumination from them.
2. I have not experienced any rear end sway with or without our heavy car hauler behind it.
3. I think the L coach is very comfortable. I think it is firm enough that the cushions will wear well and not start to sag a couple years down the road.
4. Our bath is heated just fine and is always warm and/or cool enough.
Of all the trailers, toyhaulers and motorhomes we have owned, our 14 bounder is the best built and troublefree rv of the bunch. We are very happy with our decision and when we trade up it will most likely be a Fleetwood.

Tags
bounder