Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-16-2020, 03:40 PM   #1

2013 Bounder 35k Surround Sound

Can anyone with a near vintage 35k tell me how the living room main TV optical output is utilized in the TV cabinet over the drivers seat?
Streaming off of my laptop and using either of the hdmi cables in that cabinet bypasses the surround sound and uses TV speakers only.

How was it hooked up from the factory?

I bought an optical to rca converter, and plugged that into the back of the Sony dvd/ theater receiver and all I get is static.

I'd love to he able to use the surround sound to overcome the sound of the AC Units.

If you have an idea, let me know.
agpopp is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-16-2020, 05:51 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

In our 2012, the surround sound only works if using the DVD player. We could never figure out how to get it to work with the TV so we bought a soundbar.
Old 05-16-2020, 06:20 PM   #3

Cool thanks. I did dig up an old post where someone said if you didn't get the bluray package you have nothing to hook it to. I don't and I can't so I guess I'm with you.
Old 05-22-2020, 07:37 AM   #4

2008 Discovery Surround sound.
Turn on DVD player.
Set to Aux.
Turn TV sound off in setup menu.
Volume for sound is controlled by DVD.

Works great.
basketball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 11:15 PM   #5

The factory BlueRay player was the amplifier for the surround sound. You had to change your TV sound to a different input in the TV menu to hear it.

The subwoofer is under the dinnet. Look behind the pull out drawer.

Surround sound did not work with just the TV by default. You would have to do some cabling and provide an amp to make it work.
SavnTheWales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 06:41 AM   #6

Thanks. The surround sound makes it easier to hear whenever the air is on. I may look on Craigslist for a used surround system with an optical input and keep the original speakers.
Old 07-15-2020, 09:36 PM   #7

To close out my solution, I picked up a used LG blue ray surround system with optical input for 50 bucks on Facebook marketplace. Hard to find any new systems that aren't wireless.
Swapped out the Sony unit and now have tv sound through the surround speakers with all of the other factory speakers in tact. Also have the LG speakers that came with my purchase to sell with the original Sony surround unit, so maybe I can recoup my cost.

Anyway, that was my fix.

Tags
bounder