Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-01-2012, 04:43 AM   #1

2013 fleetwood discovery

We have been researching Dp's for about a year and thought the tiffin phaeton 1 1/2 bath model was the best at 40 feet. Then yesterday I found on fleetwoods web site they have a new floor plan on the discovery, 40e. 1 1/2 bath with full wall slide, wow. Feedback? Anybody seen it? One thing about fleetwood, it's seems after their restructuring those guys have made some nice moves-fiberglass roof, pure sine wave inverter. Smart
Pamandbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-01-2012, 07:45 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Pamandbob
DW and I had the opportunity to spend an hour or so in a 2013 40E that was at the Fleetwood Rally in Indiana. It looks great. Very nice layout. As this unit was set back from the others, we got a chance to look at from a distance. On the curb side wall there is only one window. If the TV is up then that window is blocked. On the street side wall there are three windows; one over the kitchen sink,one over the couch and one in the rear bath.. I know counting windows sounds petty. We thinks its too long (41' 71/2") for a single axle.
JohnT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 10:22 PM   #3
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
I also checked out that new floorplan at the FW rally last week (below is a photo). The one they had at the rally was black on top with gold, burgundy & cream swirls on the exterior. It had an outside TV on the patio side. Inside, the TV across from the couch was ENORMOUS! Who needs a 46" TV when you're sitting less than 5 ft away from it? The fact that it pops up made for a spacious counter area when it was down in the cabinet. It had a stupid lighted curio cabinet next to it. A waste of space as far as I'm concerned - who's gonna put crystal glassware in that thing like they showed it at the rally?? Plus, how do you keep crystal glassware from sliding all over & breaking enroute? Museum putty? Give me a useable cabinet, not a mirrored/glass display case that'll be hard to keep clean. As John said above, it lacked windows so it seemed kind of cave-like to me. There are none at the ends of those full wall slides, not like the 2 large/2 small ones like there are on a normal couch/dinette slide. I guess the halogen puck lights make up for the dark. As I mentioned in the FW rally thread, the extend-a-sectionals just aren't comfortable, IMO. The backs are too short/vertical & I found the cushioning too stiff. The half bath had nice counterspace, although narrow. I think it had a king size bed - which I like. The rear bath had at least a fairly decent sized shower - although I'm spolied with my 53" wide shower.

Lori-
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1080413 - Copy.JPG
Views:	142
Size:	429.0 KB
ID:	23137  
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 06:28 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
We have the providence 42m. The bath and a half are invaluable for dw and I. The shower is the same size as the 40 discovery. Not too small as I am 6ft 4". Plenty of room. TV certainly not to large and ours does not fold up or down. We have no crystal cabinet but wish we did as we collect Fenton and Carnival depression glass. IMO the full wall slide makes the coach. So very roomy! Funny how some folks view progress. Go for it, we have been in a friends New Discovery this past winter, we loved it and they did also
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 10:29 PM   #5
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayobx View Post
We have the providence 42m.
It's not the same layout as the 40E the OP is asking about though.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 10:50 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pamandbob View Post
We have been researching Dp's for about a year and thought the tiffin phaeton 1 1/2 bath model was the best at 40 feet. Then yesterday I found on fleetwoods web site they have a new floor plan on the discovery, 40e. 1 1/2 bath with full wall slide, wow. Feedback? Anybody seen it? One thing about fleetwood, it's seems after their restructuring those guys have made some nice moves-fiberglass roof, pure sine wave inverter. Smart
I haven't seen the new Discovery, but I can tell you that the "new" Fleetwood is definitely raising the bar. We bought our Bounder last November and have had no problems to speak of. Fleetwood customer service is responsive if we call with a question. I can't personally recommend the Discovery as we don't own one...but I will recommend Fleetwood without reservation. Good luck and have fun selecting the "perfect" coach.
Old 07-02-2012, 11:05 PM   #7

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLOVNIT View Post
It had a stupid lighted curio cabinet next to it. A waste of space as far as I'm concerned - who's gonna put crystal glassware in that thing like they showed it at the rally?? Plus, how do you keep crystal glassware from sliding all over & breaking enroute? Museum putty?
We ordered a cabinet made into a curio cabinet in our DSDP. My wife collected Hummels (now out of business) and had almost 200 of them. She liked them so much she wanted to take some with us. Museum putty does work very well. We haven't broken a thing in that cabinet over the 10 years we've had the MH.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 04:45 AM   #8

Clay, thanks for your input. The 42m is the unit the dw loved. The full wall slide opens things up but the added aquahot is something we don't find necessary. The actual length of the discovery is some what a concern on a single axle but I guess any coach can be nit picked. The 1st thing I thought seeing the pic of the curio was it certainly not your run of the mill mh interior, unique! The comment about lack of window area was perplexing. We have made a decision to do the full time lifestyle and that was based on your backyard is where you are and nature is OUTSIDE. Go OUTSIDE and enjoy it. If anybody hears of a dealer recieving a 40e please notify us. Thanks
Pamandbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 05:20 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
If anybody hears of a dealer recieving a 40e please notify us. Thanks
General RV was the selling dealer at the rally. Try contacting them.
JohnT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 01:02 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Talking

Quote:
Clay, thanks for your input. The 42m is the unit the dw loved. The full wall slide opens things up but the added aquahot is something we don't find necessary. The actual length of the discovery is some what a concern on a single axle but I guess any coach can be nit picked. The 1st thing I thought seeing the pic of the curio was it certainly not your run of the mill mh interior, unique! The comment about lack of window area was perplexing. We have made a decision to do the full time lifestyle and that was based on your backyard is where you are and nature is OUTSIDE. Go OUTSIDE and enjoy it. If anybody hears of a dealer recieving a 40e please notify us. Thanks
Pamandbob

Our friends with the 40 discovery were pleased with the handling. There are many 40 plus footers out there without the tag. Our 2003 Excorsion was 39 6". Was somewhat of a handling job in strong squalls with cross winds. However it was a 03 model and chassis have really changed. I would drive her on the interstate for a test. The large semi trucks will offer plenty of environmental challenges and you will very quickly determine handling characteristics. Not sure of your location but laMesa RV is nationwide. They buy a great deal of Fleetwood product and have very great prices. Bought ous at a show, fair trade and about thirty percent off MSRP. They handled the new bug coach problems quickly and professionally. Very pleased with Fleetwood customer service and eextremely happy with LaMesa. Aqua hot is awesome heat and hot water!
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 08:17 PM   #11

We saw all of the Discovery models at Lazy Days in Tampa. Also Bankston Motorhomes in Huntsville, AL has the D's. I would think any of the major Fleetwood dealers will have the coach. The D's are very popular. We have been driving Fleetwood products for several years, and have no complaints. Our 39' on a single axle has no handling problems, so for me, I wouldn't be concerned about a 41 footer on a single axle. We also carry crystal wine glasses etc. and have never had one break. If you like the floorplan, I would certainly recommend the company. If you're looking for a slight bit smaller coach, you might want to check out the Fleetwood Expeditions. They are now ~38.5 feet and 38S comes with the bath and a half and the full wall slide.

2003 Fleetwood Expedition 38N 2005 Saturn Vue
jlfbatonrg is offline   Reply With Quote