Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-04-2020, 06:34 PM   #1

2014 35K Bounder change queen for king bed?

Anybody ever do it? Take out the queen bed, the nightstand on each side and add a king bed?
Thoughts?
Thanks
mrsportys is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-27-2020, 08:22 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Surprised nobody has done this...I'm actually looking into it.

I'll post once I get going with the investigation/possibilities

Ron
rmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 08:26 AM   #3
Community Administrator

There’s been a few that have done this.
Here’s a link to some previous threads.

https://www.google.com/search?client...e-gws-wiz-serp

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 08:29 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

I haven't, but I've seen a few reports here and elsewhere from those who did. Measure carefully and check underneath both bed & nightstands before making the decision. And if it's a diesel pusher, check for an engine access panel in the floor. It would not be wise to permanently cover that (just in case!).
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 07:29 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmueller View Post
Surprised nobody has done this...I'm actually looking into it.

I'll post once I get going with the investigation/possibilities

Ron
Room is there. The two side tables are held in by whopping two screws. That’s how we found out. The whole thing came Out one day. There is an electric plug no biggie. The extension on both sides not big enough that it would interfere, Ned, when your in bed.
The question is, which bed. Ours was so thin we had added the foam top from Costco. Works great for me, wife doesn’t like the Goan thinking there are chemicals, smell in it. Keep us updated if you find anything.
mrsportys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 08:56 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
I'll poke around this weekend, looking for the screws that hold the tables/cabs in place.

Looks like a fairly straight forward job, other than coming up with a suitable cabinet replacement (actually could care less, never used the ones that are there). The new Bounders have king beds, I'll bet I could order the new style tables from FW or just fab something with some home depot doors/hardware. It just needs to look good when done.

Moving the electrical stuff shouldn't pose an issue there than where to mount it. I'll replace the outlets with combo standard+USB outlets. Something like this

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B087P4RWTD...NsaWNrPXRydWU=

rm
rmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 09:01 AM   #7

I have a '16 but that rear slide is the same as yours IMO.
I took those lousy nightstands out years ago so I could make the bed easily every morning. mine had a lot more than 2 screws. I left the queen but yeah there is plenty of room for a king.
I did build some smaller shelves out of cedar to be used as nightstands. Works really well for me.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_E0643 SM.JPG
Views:	31
Size:	155.7 KB
ID:	303193  
Old 10-03-2020, 09:21 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmueller View Post
I'll poke around this weekend, looking for the screws that hold the tables/cabs in place.

Looks like a fairly straight forward job, other than coming up with a suitable cabinet replacement (actually could care less, never used the ones that are there). The new Bounders have king beds, I'll bet I could order the new style tables from FW or just fab something with some home depot doors/hardware. It just needs to look good when done.

Moving the electrical stuff shouldn't pose an issue there than where to mount it. I'll replace the outlets with combo standard+USB outlets. Something like this

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B087P4RWTD...NsaWNrPXRydWU=

rm
FYI, swapping rv electrical with normal/standard home electrical outlets is not as simple as one would think. You'll need to add boxes (as in the picture from my above post) as they are probably different. Very frustrating when you think it is a straight swap out. Not so. Normal home type boxes are held in place with 2 screws. RV type outlets snap in and you'll see are not a compatible (or at least on my '16 were not). Different building "codes" (if there is such a thing on rvs, RVIA certification is considered a code??).
Old 10-03-2020, 09:40 AM   #9

How about the length, looks like bed is on a slide?
Old 10-03-2020, 01:41 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha_Rooster View Post
How about the length, looks like bed is on a slide?
My 2016 is fine on length (see pic above) as I replaced the junk that came with it new with a regular queen by Serta.
Old 10-04-2020, 08:32 AM   #11

ON my Expedition ,I have taken the queen out and put a king in.
Its tight on the sides but sure makes for better sleeping.Taking out the drawer on the sides was easy and looks fine on the side walls.
I would do it again .
mike toon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 11:30 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by computerguy View Post
I have a '16 but that rear slide is the same as yours IMO.
I took those lousy nightstands out years ago so I could make the bed easily every morning. mine had a lot more than 2 screws. I left the queen but yeah there is plenty of room for a king.
I did build some smaller shelves out of cedar to be used as nightstands. Works really well for me.

Interesting picture. My 2017 35K has side windows on the slide. It came from factory with a short king bed. The mattress was awful. I put a good mattress in that is a Cal King size. I had to build a flip up at the foot of the bed to support the added mattress length.

I'd rather have a queen so we could make the bed easier, but the wife is a king not a queen type of gal. But the 80" length is a must for me.

Tags
bounder