Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-07-2017, 04:56 PM   #15

I have a 2013 33C. I had the same exact problem. Remove the motor and run it on a 12v battery, then reverse the leads to the battery, the motor should reverse. If that works the motor is fine. I had to replace the gear box p/n 1101425. Found it on Amazon for $65.13.
I have steps 9010000220 (series 22). I think the p/n is good for 1999 and up.
Hope that helps.
ppotts1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-08-2017, 04:12 AM   #16

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmueller View Post
This is what you need, the nylon gear stripped. This is caused by either sticking - needs lube, or someone/something abruptly stopped the motion before the current-limiter stopped the motor ...on Amazon

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This is a real easy install (other than standing on your head for 20mins). You don't need to worry about the position of the stairs, just install run the most conveniently position. The first time you open/close the door the stairs will seek their limit and stop in the correct position. Might take a few times to get them in sync with the door open/close.

I doped the motor connector with a little liquid electrical tape to keep it dry.

ron
I purchased this very same motor back in June as an emergency replacement for the steps. What I realized 2 days ago when I went to install is that it's the incorrect motor for my steps.
Old 08-09-2017, 07:08 AM   #17

Fleetwood Owners Club
The Amazon link I posted motor definitely fits a 2014 Bounder stairs, might be different motor for the '08. Look at the label on the motor and Google the part number.

There is a post somewhere that mentions a suitable replacement that can be ordered at AutoZone...the motor/gear unit is actually a windshield wiper motor assembly. I looked at one at the local store but decided not to go that route (not exactly the same part - looked like it might fit), instead found the exact replacement on Amazon.

ron
rmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 07:15 AM   #18

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Yes. I ordered in error thinking this was the right one. A motor that will fit is a driver's side door window motor (not windshield wiper) from a 1989 Ford Taurus for the older steps.
Old 10-06-2017, 11:32 PM   #19

Odd problem with steps

2014 Bounder 36E, 12000 miles. On second step motor, worked fine 10-20 cycles then over runs motor on way up and down. Steps fully stroke, but motor grinds gears a few seconds going up or down. Can't find any help so far..

Kurt@tetzlaffonline.com
Tetzlaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 08:11 PM   #20

Fleetwood Owners Club
The grinding is bad, the nylon gear is ground down and no longer engages at certain points in the travel.

Probably time for new one.

If you are going through these things, then I'll bet that the stairs are not lubricated properly and bind or you sure someone didn't step on them in motion right before they locked in place, enough to damage the nylon gear in the motor assembly...that's what cooked mine the first time.

There is a set of cams on either side of the stairs that can be adjusted for the stopping point on the down swing.

If that isn't hitting the stairs (gap between cam and stairs when all the way down), then the only thing supporting the stairs its the gear box and motor assembly - maybe stepping on them with only the gears supporting them puts enough stress the nylon gears or ruin them over a number times stepping on the stairs.
Just a theory...

The control is designed to stop the motor when enough resistance causes an overcorrect sensed by the control.

I don't think there is any adjustment for the overcurrent, so it might be that if you go through another motor, maybe the control has a problem.

There is a trouble shooting guide on the Kwiki web site, or I'd give them a call and ask them about the problems you experienced.

They seem like a small enough company to still care about the people who use their products.

rm
rmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 08:07 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmueller View Post
I just did a fix on ours, same coach. For me it was either one of two things due to sitting over winter, the motor armature was on a dead spot for whatever reason or the clevis or some of the mechanicals were a bit rusty/sticky providing too much resistance.

The design is such that over-current controls where the stairs stop (caused by any resistance). So, if something is bound then they stop or don't start at all.

First thing, does the light come on (orange under stairs) - check fuses

Second, unplug the motor connector, clean it out and wiggle it back in place. - Just bad design, a little corrosion looks like over-current to the controller and it shuts down the motor. If I do a sloppy job of topping off my batteries, the water/acid overflow drips down all over stuff near the stairs - I put plastic tubes in to get the overflow away from wiring on the stairs. Might be why the connector gets funky now and again.

Third, undo the cotter pin on the clevis (this can take about an hour standing on your head - great fun. I conned my younger brother into doing this step).

Get everything out of the way and open/close the door to see if the motor moves without being bound by any mechanicals. If it doesn't move then your right, controller or motor is toasted. You can test the motor by applying 12v to the proper pins on the connector to see if it moves without the controller.

The Kwiki website has a full blown manual and trouble shooting guide.

The manual shows you the lube points, if its never been done its a good idea to keep the mechanicals as free as possible.

Hope that helps...

ron

Ron, you said you top off your batteries. You know, that you don't fill to the top of the batteries right?
Jim
mrsportys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 03:47 AM   #22

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Well, been super busy and had actually not been on the sight for months. I fixed the stairs. removed the motor and disassembled. The gear was shot and jammed. I reversed it to see if I could get a little more use out of it but no go. Ordered a motor from AM, installed and all is well. Could have probably found a nylon gear for it and been done but the motor had been getting very warm with the gear jammed and they only last so long anyway. Problem solved.

Tags
bounder, steps