Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-23-2016, 05:16 PM   #15

Stormy2000,
Be sure to check the fuse with an ohmmeter. It is possible for a fuse to be bad even though it looks good. Other than that, I would suggest downloading a trouble guide for your heater model.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-23-2016, 05:45 PM   #16

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Medic57 View Post
Interesting. I've had both switches on at the same time and the gas doesn't fire up unless I'm disconnected from the electricity. I'll have to look into it further. Thanks for the info.

Maybe you don't have a wife like mine that likes to take really long showers, ha ha.
Brian W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 05:50 PM   #17

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Yes, that is what I am saying. Doesn't mean that I am correct, but in all my years of RV'ing I've never had a combination water heater that would run on both at the same time. This includes my 2014 Bounder.
Much the same as the RV fridge, if you lose 110vac, the gas will take over.
Again, there may be some other combo water heaters out there that will work on both at the same time, but I've never seen one.
Never had a water heater that wouldn't run on both elec and propane since we got ones that were dual powered which was 2000.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 09:14 PM   #18
New to the RV World

Vintage RV Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Yes, that is what I am saying. Doesn't mean that I am correct, but in all my years of RV'ing I've never had a combination water heater that would run on both at the same time. This includes my 2014 Bounder.
Much the same as the RV fridge, if you lose 110vac, the gas will take over.
Again, there may be some other combo water heaters out there that will work on both at the same time, but I've never seen one.
The Newer Atwood water heaters are designed to be able to run on both electric and propane at the same time if desired to have a shorter cycle time.

This is from the Atwood installation Manual.

I know it is hard to read but the text outlined in red states "The unit can run in both gas and electric modes simultaneous for quick recovery"

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
GlennLever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 03:32 AM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Brian
Thanks for digging that out. :-)
Old 04-24-2016, 10:56 AM   #20

Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
2014 Fleetwood Bounder 35k Atwood water heater

Do you have power to the switch?If so do you have power to the gas valve?I believe you stated that the propane worked before the element was replaced.The person who did your work did something while he( or she )was working on it.you need 12 volt to the gas valve! And switch .and since you don't hear the gas valve click open something is shut off or blown (12volt).
spider13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 12:13 PM   #21
New to the RV World

Vintage RV Owners Club
I do not know if this will help but this was a Replace old Atwood water heater with a new one that I did awhile back, I thought I had posted this here for you, but guess I did not.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 04-24-2016, 07:12 PM   #22

Went out and tried turning both switches on today. Gas burner came on while hooked to shore power. Now, my question is, at what point will the gas kick on/off and allow the electric to do all the work?
Old 04-24-2016, 07:15 PM   #23
New to the RV World

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Went out and tried turning both switches on today. Gas burner came on while hooked to shore power. Now, my question is, at what point will the gas kick on/off and allow the electric to do all the work?
What does your switch look like, does it have a switch for electric and one for gas?

Most likely you will have to "tell" it to run on electricity

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 04-24-2016, 07:18 PM   #24
Community Administrator

2014 Fleetwood Bounder 35k Atwood water heater

My Bounder had this switch.
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1461547032.928155.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	113.5 KB
ID:	125155
It heated on the one or both that were in the on position.
I turned off the gas when not needed.
The gas will kick on and off as needed.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 07:23 PM   #25

Your gas pressure regulator should be set at 11 inches of water column. If the regulator set pressure drops very much it will jot light.
Darwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 07:34 PM   #26

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:

They will both work as long as you both switches on. The only reason to have both on at the same time is for hot water recovery. If me and the wife are planning on taking showers one after the other I turn both on, if not I only have one on. Think of it as 2 thermostats and 2 heating elements.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Brian W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 08:41 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifftall View Post
My Bounder had this switch.
Attachment 125155
It heated on the one or both that were in the on position.
I turned off the gas when not needed.
The gas will kick on and off as needed.
That's what I have. Haven't had any issues with back to back showers, so I guess I'll stick to electric only and save the propane.

Thanks to all who've weighed in.
Old 05-02-2016, 09:47 PM   #28

sorry for late reply, had no internet, but that is corrected now. anyway, the heater is up and working elec & propane, on the propane side, I removed the inline fuse connection and cleaned electrodes, reseated and walla the heater fired up on propane. I had my mm as i was going to ck power 12v @ heater and then thought, well let me re-check wires and such.
the brown wire which I believed is power led to the inline fuse and the fuse looked good visually and so I removed it checked both ends, and the end going into the heater looked worn, so I cleaned that and reseated. with elec set on, I turned propane switch on and the heater fired up.

thank you everyone for help and advice which helped me to correct this, as the repair fac wasn't much help.

bill
stormy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
atwood, heater, fleetwood, water heater, water, heat, bounder