Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 05-12-2014, 09:07 PM   #1
Member
 
Fleetwood Owners Club
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 97
2014 purchase advice

Well I have found a a deal on a 2014 38b expedition I think and looking for a yes no from the forum...

1. purchase price is 40 percent off true msrp (advertised loss leader) of 258K
2. coach is over a year old as far as manufacture date


I have a trade but the value is low (actual cash value) from the dealer however they are giving me a low apr (sub 4 percent).

If we use the 25-30percent off rule the additional 10-15 percent off is gone with the negative equity on my trade (which I purchased 25 percent off in 2006).

I feel the deal is ok but i am "starting over" at 25 percent discount net after the trade if that makes since and i will not be in a better postiton 8- 10 years from now.

However if I applied the same logic on a non ad coach assuming a 20-25 percent off msrp, I would net 10-15 percent off msrp after negative equity and would be really upside down 10 years from now.

as far as monthly payments are concerned we are 50 bucks a month apart as of now and I feel we can "split" the difference.


the manufacture date of the coach is March 2013 and is "new" . If we come to an agreement this is what I would want done, let me know what I am missing as far as Freightliner's 1 year service schedule

1. oil change
2 fuel filter change
3 hydrometer test on batteries replace as needed
4 complete chassis lube per freightliner
5 onan 1 year oil and filter change

please let me know what you think

PS.....

Is there enough power with the 6.7 cummins 360hp 800 lbs of torque?

This is my third rv

2006 ww toyhauler
2006 bounder 32w
connor2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-13-2014, 11:28 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
akeyzoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 961
Interesting choices to be made for sure. Others may chime in on purchasing a coach that has sat that long. Obviously start at batteries too. I would want to confirm they perform under load, not sure specific gravity tells the whole story.

A piece of advice worth the internet I typed it on. Take this for the nothing it is worth. Try your damndest to stay out of the negative equity situation. You can do this by either bringing more cash to the table AND/OR choosing a shorter loan duration (I would personally never consider over 10 years!) OR staying with the coach you have.

Making decisions based primarily on the amount of the monthly payment can easily lead you into a situation where you always have a monthly payment. I prefer the idea of having things paid off where possible and appropriate.

Can you afford this coach with an 8 year note? Maybe that is a good place to start. Reality is an 8 year note likely helps you avoid ever being upside down (by much) AND will allow you to own the coach while it still has life on it.

Chris
__________________
------------------------------------
American Revolution 40L CAT C9
Samsung 197, TireMinder, Ready Brute Elite with Wrangler
akeyzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 02:44 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
brian-nicola's Avatar
 
Fleetwood Owners Club
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Vancouver Island, BC
Posts: 854
Not sure of your location, but for that price where we are you can have a 2013 Discovery 40x USD 239,000 and 35B's for USD 226,000. If they have a model on their lot that long, then they have pretty much lost their flooring and the unit will be costing them money and any factory love probably gone. Having new old stock on the lot can also affect what they can order in new inventory from the factory as well.

As for the money, I guess it really comes down to difference paid and stay in equity position,

I would add a complete freightliner service, not just lube, including oils, fluids, filters, AC charge, etc
Batteries load tested
Generator service
Replace wiper blades (probably hard as a rock)
Any recalls dealt with

Good luck!
__________________
Brian & Nicola
2013 Discovery 40E "DISCO"
TOAD 2014 Wrangler
Xeena(German Shepard)
brian-nicola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 06:17 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
mojoracing's Avatar
 
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: northern IL
Posts: 2,557
I think what the OP meant was 40% off of the 258000.00 or roughly a purchase price of 155000.00. That is a great deal! That being said, now look at your trade. Forget about what you owe for right now. How much are they giving you for your trade? Is it within nada pricing? If it is somewhere in range and you are happy with it then consider the trade portion of the deal done. Now, your payoff is your payoff. 155000k less your trade value plus any tax title license and your payoff should be the amount financed. Run a payment using a reliable payment calculator and if you are happy with and can afford the payment, go for it. Are you going to be in a better spot as far as equity down the road? Depends on the term of your new loan. Again the shorter the better. Lets face it, nobody buys these things as an investment. You just want to be able to get out of it if you need to should an emergency arise. Two ways to fix that, money down or shorter term.
__________________
2014 Fleetwood Bounder 35k
mojoracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 07:57 PM   #5
Member
 
Fleetwood Owners Club
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojoracing View Post
I think what the OP meant was 40% off of the 258000.00 or roughly a purchase price of 155000.00. That is a great deal! That being said, now look at your trade. Forget about what you owe for right now. How much are they giving you for your trade? Is it within nada pricing? If it is somewhere in range and you are happy with it then consider the trade portion of the deal done. Now, your payoff is your payoff. 155000k less your trade value plus any tax title license and your payoff should be the amount financed. Run a payment using a reliable payment calculator and if you are happy with and can afford the payment, go for it. Are you going to be in a better spot as far as equity down the road? Depends on the term of your new loan. Again the shorter the better. Lets face it, nobody buys these things as an investment. You just want to be able to get out of it if you need to should an emergency arise. Two ways to fix that, money down or shorter term.
OK plan "b" I am liquid to pay off old loan, Now I can get the the new coach at the great discount and then sell/consign the trade. The gamble is in the sale of the bounder. The dealer is offering 50 percent less then the asking price of models on the model in on rv trader. I see the asking price 60-70k on like models. nada low retail is between 45-55k... dealer offered 29k
connor2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 07:59 PM   #6
Member
 
Fleetwood Owners Club
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian-nicola View Post
Not sure of your location, but for that price where we are you can have a 2013 Discovery 40x USD 239,000 and 35B's for USD 226,000. If they have a model on their lot that long, then they have pretty much lost their flooring and the unit will be costing them money and any factory love probably gone. Having new old stock on the lot can also affect what they can order in new inventory from the factory as well.

As for the money, I guess it really comes down to difference paid and stay in equity position,

I would add a complete freightliner service, not just lube, including oils, fluids, filters, AC charge, etc
Batteries load tested
Generator service
Replace wiper blades (probably hard as a rock)
Any recalls dealt with

Good luck!
How can I find out if the full service was performed? salesman said that it would all be done but I can't get it in writing?
connor2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 10:53 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
akeyzoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 961
Quote:
Originally Posted by connor2002 View Post
How can I find out if the full service was performed? salesman said that it would all be done but I can't get it in writing?
Hit all the filters with a sharpie??
__________________
------------------------------------
American Revolution 40L CAT C9
Samsung 197, TireMinder, Ready Brute Elite with Wrangler
akeyzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Motorhome purchase advice Wingrydr57 Class A Motorhome Discussions 21 04-28-2014 05:25 PM
Purchase Advice On New Coachmen jjundt New Rig Show-Off! 1 04-27-2014 12:20 PM
Purchase Advice On New Coachmen Please jjundt Class A Motorhome Discussions 0 04-27-2014 10:03 AM
2014 Jayco Eagle 298 RLDS purchase? franknj Travel Trailer Discussion 4 04-21-2014 08:05 PM
Newbie looking for advice on Rv purchase class A Robert62 Thor Industries Owner's Forum 4 02-17-2014 09:31 PM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:24 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.