Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-21-2019, 01:14 AM   #1

2015 and later Dirt Devil vacuum install

Has anyone installed a Dirt Devil central vacuum in the newer layout Bounder? Ours is a 35k, and has the vacuflush above the propane tank, larger basement compartments (that don't come out with the slide).

Mostly looking for ideas on easy path for the hose etc up through floor and where to put the outlet plate.

TIA!
Bigfoot_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-21-2019, 04:06 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Our DP came with one. The hose is heavy, my wife can hardly use it. Works good. But would not add one. Small expensive bags also.
Old 08-22-2019, 06:52 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiesta48 View Post
Our DP came with one. The hose is heavy, my wife can hardly use it. Works good. But would not add one. Small expensive bags also.
I already have bought it. Looking for ideas for best mounting location in a newer Bounder, especially where to put the hose outlet.
Bigfoot_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 09:46 PM   #4

So, I installed it.

I chose the 3rd bay from the front on the right hand side. This would be the same configuration on later Bounder 35K's and 2018 onwards Southwind 35K's.

It is right below the refrigerator, and there is a power outlet just immediately forward just in the next bay. I wanted to have the outlet as far back as possible to ensure I could get all the way back into the aft bathroom with the hose.

I removed the support/trim from under the front of the fridge (4 screws).

Behind it you will see a square area where space has been cleared to fit the heater outlet for the basement to a heater hose. It seemed like a good easy place to punch through from the basement.

I used a jigsaw to cut the requisite rectangle (see instructions) out of the trim to fit the outlet (purchased the optional brown outlet for the vacuum). I cut the ears off the metal bracket, and used the longer 1-1/4" #10 supplied screws to mount the outlet to the trim/support.

I drilled a very small pilot hole (3/32"?) using a right angle drill in what I thought was the best location under the fridge to punch through the floor, and then used that to align my upwards drilling with a 1-3/4" hole saw from the basement. I fed the vacuum hose and switch wires down to the basement, and mounted the vacuum to the side of the basement wall. I got some shorter self drilling screws (3/4" long, 1/4" dia) to mount the vacuum.

It leaves me a lot of space above to remove the lid and change bags.

I still need to neaten up the hose and wire (with zip ties) and I think a right angle fitting (also available) would have been a good choice to order as well. (shipping is insane on tiny fittings by themselves).

You will also see I had to notch the wooden support that is fixed to the floor to clear the back of the vacuum outlet. I only notched down 1/2" and 3" wide or so. I used one of those little "Oscillating Tool" saws as space is tight. This notch is covered up by the trim/support with the vacuum outlet.

Be aware you can't really place the outlet lower than this, because there is a 1" square metal bar BEHIND that wooden support that I notched.

Mounting the outlet horizontally means you have to pick a direction for it, I put the hinge on the left to make it easier to haul the hose down through the bedroom, and with the shorter run to the front of the coach, should be just fine.

I had to do all this with the slide closed, because my RV pad is too steep to level the coach on!

Parts list:
- Dirt Devil CV1500 RV Central Vacuum System With RugRat (RugRat= Handheld air driven powerhead)
- Dirt Devil 4941 Brown Inlet Door
- Dirt Devil 9597 HEPA Vacuum Bags For CV950 & CV1500 Vacuum Systems (extra bags)
- Dirt Devil 5506-W 90 Degree Short Elbow (wished I had ordered this first time around!)

I bought these from RVUpgradeStore who seemed to have good prices and prompt delivery.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bay finished.JPG
Views:	43
Size:	128.7 KB
ID:	258119   Click image for larger version

Name:	outlet on trim.JPG
Views:	44
Size:	114.9 KB
ID:	258120  

Click image for larger version

Name:	notch.JPG