Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-26-2019, 06:45 AM   #1

2015 Discovery 40G FWS went in uneven, now stuck

I was pulling my full wall wall slide in and was not paying attention. When the front end was all the way in I realized the back side (by the rear bedroom) was still out about 18”. Now its completely stuck, and wont move either way. I’m fortunate this happened at my storage facility, but I need to get it pulled in so I can take it to the dealer for service. A mobile mechanic cant come until next week (I called 6 in the Orlando area, and got only one response).

Has anyone run into this and have any possible solution other than waiting until the mechanic gets out here? This slide is massive, so I’m not able to push it in by my self. I called freightliner and they had no practical ideas.

TIA
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-26-2019, 06:57 AM   #2

You probably need the teach pendant to completely fix it.

.... But, there are three motors, the one in the back is accessible mostly through the door with the def tank. The center one is the cleanest and is in the bay to the left of the one with the basement storage side. Look for that one and figure out how to unlock it. Then you know how for the back one. On the end of the motor there is a lever under the boot. I will try to find I pic of it without the boot for reference. If you can unlock the back two you can probably push the slide in then lock them back.
trs80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 06:59 AM   #3

It just slides away from center. No idea how hard the slide is going to be too push shut.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20181103_142346.jpeg
Views:	99
Size:	48.7 KB
ID:	233080
Old 01-26-2019, 09:50 AM   #4

When I called the service person at the dealer they mentions a special tool called a “pendant”, but no real explanation as to what that is. Is the pendant that lever coming out of the back of the motor? Is it on the motor, or is that the thing I need?

I really appreciate you taking the time for the pictures.

I have no idea how hard its going to be to push that slide in. It must weigh a ton at least.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trs80 View Post
You probably need the teach pendant to completely fix it.

.... But, there are three motors, the one in the back is accessible mostly through the door with the def tank. The center one is the cleanest and is in the bay to the left of the one with the basement storage side. Look for that one and figure out how to unlock it. Then you know how for the back one. On the end of the motor there is a lever under the boot. I will try to find I pic of it without the boot for reference. If you can unlock the back two you can probably push the slide in then lock them back.
Old 01-26-2019, 10:06 AM   #5

Unfortunately the pendant is a programming tool for the controller. I had a motor fail in mine last year and after frustrations with trying to get into a shop with a teaching pendant, I ended up buying one on eBay and a motor direct from fleetwood. Being in Florida you have more access to shops and might get luckier than me in Atlanta.

What the pendant does do is allow you to control each motor individually. (Along with programming the stop points).

If you manage to get your hands on one it's a simple job. Even replacing a motor is a 10 minute job with a socket set.
Old 01-26-2019, 10:12 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jondrew View Post
I was pulling my full wall wall slide in and was not paying attention. When the front end was all the way in I realized the back side (by the rear bedroom) was still out about 18”. Now its completely stuck, and wont move either way. I’m fortunate this happened at my storage facility, but I need to get it pulled in so I can take it to the dealer for service. A mobile mechanic cant come until next week (I called 6 in the Orlando area, and got only one response).

Has anyone run into this and have any possible solution other than waiting until the mechanic gets out here? This slide is massive, so I’m not able to push it in by my self. I called freightliner and they had no practical ideas.

TIA

Did the safety lock latch on the front?
Old 01-26-2019, 10:14 AM   #7

2015 Discovery 40G FWS went in uneven, now stuck

I don’t know if you understand how it works, the system counts the revolutions of each motor that how it stays straight. Did the front slide lock into position? Have you check fuses at slide computer board?
Old 01-26-2019, 10:27 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha_Rooster View Post
Did the safety lock latch on the front?
No it did not
Old 01-26-2019, 10:32 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha_Rooster View Post
I don’t know if you understand how it works, the system counts the revolutions of each motor that how it stays straight. Did the front slide lock into position? Have you check fuses at slide computer board?
The front lock did not engage. Not exactly sure where the fuses are. If you know, please tell me and I’ll check. When I press the extend or retract switch, I hear a clicking that sounds like its coming from about where the center motor is, but I cant tell for sure. But nothing happens.

My plan is hopefully to get a mobile tech to pull the slide on Monday and then I’ll take it into the dealer the following week when I have an appointment for the slide and an oil change.

A real bummer. Never had a slide problem with this unit. So lucky it happened where it did so that I can leave it till I can get someone to look at it. I can’t imagine if this had happened while we were on the road. It would be one of those horror stories you always hear about.

Thanks all for the advice
Old 01-26-2019, 10:39 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jondrew View Post
The front lock did not engage. Not exactly sure where the fuses are. If you know, please tell me and I’ll check. When I press the extend or retract switch, I hear a clicking that sounds like its coming from about where the center motor is, but I cant tell for sure. But nothing happens.

My plan is hopefully to get a mobile tech to pull the slide on Monday and then I’ll take it into the dealer the following week when I have an appointment for the slide and an oil change.

A real bummer. Never had a slide problem with this unit. So lucky it happened where it did so that I can leave it till I can get someone to look at it. I can’t imagine if this had happened while we were on the road. It would be one of those horror stories you always hear about.

Thanks all for the advice
There are some fuses on the controller module itself which is in the bay with the center motor. It's on the ceiling a little more toward the center of the coach.
Old 01-26-2019, 10:40 AM   #11

Mine are in battery compartment looks like a circuit board with labels motor-motor-motor If you find it DO NOT hit the reset button it resets stop points and you don’t want it to think it’s in the right position.
Old 01-28-2019, 06:51 AM   #12

You get it worked out?
Old 01-28-2019, 08:40 AM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Go to the power gear website. Or call them. There are directions to reset/operate and correct the settings. But not as easy as the pendent/programming tool.
Check your stack of operating instructions that came with the coach. My 15 did.
Old 01-28-2019, 02:35 PM   #14

Update: I had a mobile tech out today. He could not fix it. We managed to get the slide completely out, but can’t get it back in. We tried removing the motors and manually pushing (this thing must weigh tons) and also disengaged the brake on all three motors and tried to use a socket and ratchet to pull it in. Something is binding in the rear section and the slide won’t push past it. There seems to be what looks like white powder in there and it’s possble one of the slide rollers failed.

The guy who came out is a truck and chassis mechanic. Did not really know slides. He was there for a few hours but did not charge me. So far I’ve k my found one guy who says he can do slides and he can’t get there till a week from Thursday. I may go back and see if there is some access covers I can remove. I’ve also got a fiber optic camera I can try to poke it where the damaged roller or whatever it is might be.

Tags
cover, discovery