Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-19-2023, 06:47 PM   #1

Cool 2015 Fleetwood Bounder 35k Problems, Replacing v10 engine and other major repairs

Hello Fellow Fleetwood owners,

I own a 2015 Fleetwood Bounder 35k that has been a really nice looking coach, but we have had major issues with the coach.

I am a ex RV dealership owner, and have had many coaches, but this one has taken more major repairs, time and money than all my other dozen or so coaches I have owned combined.

Our Ford Powered Bounder now has 31k miles, and needs a new Ford V10 engine for $20k, clogged Cat converter $4k, and replace exhaust gaskets, $500. New A/C heat pump $2k, new energy management system $500, and just repaired many other times like failed wires between the thermostat and A/C (no heat or A/C), drivers OH cabinet falling off wall, 120v power losses repairs from poor wiring, and terrible shifting points from trans on hills up and down. ($500 5 star has helped with that).

Having been a dealer for over a dozen years, this personal motorhome has taken more major repairs than any other new or used coach we have had in inventory through the years.

The Ford V10 6.8L engine failure started on a trip from Oregon to Colorado, fresh Mobile 1 oil and factory Ford filter. Oil level checked every 500 miles and never lost a drop. Cat converter Clogged up at 30k miles, blew out exhaust gaskets, lost power and engine started making noise. After Cat removal (ford Cats on back order) and exhaust repair, engine knocking and surging. Had multiple techs look and replace upper engine (Ford) parts that showed no failure but common noise makers like Cam followers (rocker arms) and lifters, no luck still knocking at all times.

After waiting months to get into a Ford repair facility that handles larger trucks and motor homes, they diagnose engine knocking, #7 Cyl low compression, scratches in cyl wall, and replacement engine needed for 22k, plus 4k for cat replacement.

I am confident that the repair bill will continue to climb as work is added and completed. Waited 3 months for a Ford Facory 6.8 V10, and work will continue into April all customer pay. Ford has refused to cover even the failed CAT under warranty or low mileage major engine failure.

My wife encouraged me to write this as I do not normally post, but I am hopeful that my work can help another in their repairs or diagnosis if needed. As someone who has now spent over 100 hours repairing a excellent condition highly maintained coach, I have now pretty much rebuilt every system.

What I cannot work on Ford will replace at a very high cost of ownership. My only hope is that when Ford completes their work at my expense, this will become a much more dependable coach with a Ford 3yr factory engine warranty and road ready for the future.

Thanks for your time,

$PoorFordBounderboy

2015 Fleetwood Bounder 35k
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-20-2023, 06:19 PM   #2

I feel your pain. Below is my story. Yet there are those in the forums that say the V10 is indestructible. Yet time and time again I see people posting the V10 dead again, 30k miles. I wonder how many are dead and no one posts in here??????

V10 Self Destructs
Old 04-22-2023, 10:35 PM   #3
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Closed at OP request.
Closed Thread

Tags
air, bounder, ems, engine, epa, fleetwood, problem, problems, repair, repairs, v10