Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-22-2017, 04:05 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
2016 33C - Power for FloJet Macerator

Just purchased a FloJet macerator to flush the tanks long distances when camping at houses of friends and family. The pump requires a DC 12V 20A connection (research shows it pulls 16A). I've read that many folks will run wire directly to the house or chassis battery. I've also seen a few buy a separate power supply so they can plug it into the wall. I'd rather not do either of those things. I've thought through a couple of options. What are your thoughts?

1. Wire into 12V bus somehow - have to be honest though, I don't know where the 12V bus is. Any idea where this would be on a Bounder 33C? Would it be easy to access?

2. Use the 12V connection for the water pump. The water pump is connected to the 12V system using the connector shown in the picture. It also uses a 20A fuse in the fuse box. I'm thinking I could purchase one of these connectors, and just switch the connection whenever I want to use the macerator. Thoughts?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6709.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	226.0 KB
ID:	162705  
Swan-Bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-22-2017, 04:52 PM   #2

I like the water pump option...chances are you won't need the water pump when dumping anyways so it should be good...also wires are already there
Old 05-22-2017, 06:09 PM   #3

My generator is 1 bay behind the waste bay, so I ran a 12 gauge wire from the battery cable, on the generator start solenoid, to the waste bay for the macerator.

Only needed about 4 feet of wire and a 20 amp fuse near the the source.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 07:45 PM   #4

I connected the Flojet to the back of cigarette lighter looking receptacle in the utility compartment. It's never blow the fuse.
z3406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 09:36 AM   #5

I have always gone straight to the battery post to power the macerator. I do install a fuse and put the wire in a shield. Also use a heavy duty switch.
I always install the macerator permanently. On my Southwind 34A, same as 33C, all I did was cut a section from the utility bay floor to fit the installed pump. Then I took a small cake pan and resealed the bay from underneath. Easy project and the BEST way to "empty the tanks."
2000 Jeep Wrangler 4X4
Gary CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 11:03 AM   #6

Just to remove any confusion. This is the Flojet that I use on my coach.
Flojet 18555-000A, Portable RV Waste Pump
It's portable and not a permanent installation. The switch is in the handle and it has it's own fuse built in.
z3406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 01:06 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by z3406 View Post
Just to remove any confusion. This is the Flojet that I use on my coach.
Flojet 18555-000A, Portable RV Waste Pump
It's portable and not a permanent installation. The switch is in the handle and it has it's own fuse built in.
That's the same style as mine, a portable.

You always fuse a wire from an unfused battery connection. The generator cable is fused but at around 100 amps. Too much for 12 gauge wire.

I put a 2 wire, 12 volt plug on the end of the wire I ran and then the mate to it, on the masarator wires.

I take it out of the carry case and fit it on the dump outlet. Once ready, I control it with the wired remote button.

The fuse in the remote is to protect the wiring after it. The fuse I installed is to protect the wire run, I installed, to the remote.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 11:42 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by z3406 View Post
I connected the Flojet to the back of cigarette lighter looking receptacle in the utility compartment. It's never blow the fuse.

I did the same thing and mine has been fine as well.
Old 06-19-2017, 05:11 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Update: Ended up installing it to the back of the cigarette lighter outlet in the wet bay as others in this thread recommend. I figured it would be better to wire it into something i never use than something that is used all the time. Been camping in a friends driveway for the past month and have been using it multiple times per week without issue! Thanks!
Swan-Bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 05:16 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I use the water pump circuit. The water pump and wires are right there in the wet bay. A switch to isolate the macerating pump. Just have to be sure the DW does not open a fauset. (-:
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 06:42 PM   #11

If connected to the water pump line I'd be afraid the draw would burn up the electronic water pump switch ( not the mechanical wall switche (s))
mchero is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, power