RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-19-2019, 06:23 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
2016 35K Intermittent Sewer Smell After Flushing

I'm getting an intermittent sewer smell after flushing our aft toilet on our 2016 35K Bounder.

It doesn't happen all the time, and the smell dissipates after a few minutes. I've found no leakage in the vacuum flush compartment nor in the bathroom.

The smell seems to be the strongest on the forward side of the bed...

Can anyone tell me where the black tank vent is located? Or anyone have this issue before?
https://www.nomadsumc.org/
lynch763 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-19-2019, 12:43 PM   #2

The only time we had a sewer smell in the bedroom on our '16 35K, was the first time the bellows in the pump was compromised. We do however, every now and then have a urine smell in the 1/2 bath. Wifey smells an odor as you describe, but seems to be from shower drain. We keep grey water closed and open only to dump, but smell still emanates sometime. So far, we use either baking soda and vinegar or the Blue Power liquid. I am beginning to use powder laundry detergent poured down the drain and let sit for a bit then wash it down. Not sure why the smell comes, but as you it is very intermittent...comes and goes.
16bounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 05:02 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16bounder View Post
The only time we had a sewer smell in the bedroom on our '16 35K, was the first time the bellows in the pump was compromised.
Yeah - I worried about the vacuum system and check it out - nothing leaking down there.
Old 07-19-2019, 05:17 PM   #4

I had a problem with a urine smell.
I clean the toilet probably once a month but it still was there when it was warm out. Turned out needed to get a toilet bruch that had a little diddy thing so it could really clean under the lip (where the water comes out to flush the toilet. After that cleaning all the smell went away. Easy fix and hope it's what you have.
computerguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 02:49 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynch763 View Post
I'm getting an intermittent sewer smell after flushing our aft toilet on our 2016 35K Bounder.

It doesn't happen all the time, and the smell dissipates after a few minutes. I've found no leakage in the vacuum flush compartment nor in the bathroom.

Can anyone tell me where the black tank vent is located? Or anyone have this issue before?
There is a pop-a-vent located behind the washer/dryer cabinet. This is the left most cabinet before you go into master bathroom. You may need to remove the cabinet back... it is stapled in. You can then replace the vent... it screws in. This vent should be for grey water side, but I assume you wash your hands after doing your bizness
SavnTheWales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 10:16 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by lynch763 View Post

We also have a 2016 35K. The black tank vent pipe goes up between the 1/2 bath and the bedroom. If you remove the pocket door for any reason (I had one) you can see it there. Some times when the 1/2 bath air vent is up you can get an odour being drawn into that bathroom.
Bshevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 10:50 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bshevel View Post
We also have a 2016 35K. The black tank vent pipe goes up between the 1/2 bath and the bedroom. If you remove the pocket door for any reason (I had one) you can see it there. Some times when the 1/2 bath air vent is up you can get an odour being drawn into that bathroom.
That was going to be my suggestion. I have to close our bathroom vent before flushing due to the proximity of the black tank vent and the roof vent.
BirchyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 06:46 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Thanks Bshevel... I'm thinking that's what the problem is... I just never knew where the vent was.
Old 07-27-2019, 02:50 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirchyBoy View Post
That was going to be my suggestion. I have to close our bathroom vent before flushing due to the proximity of the black tank vent and the roof vent.
You can also try closing the lid on toilet before flushing... helps. Some of these roof vents are high and hard to reach... at least turn off the fan before flushing. But please turn it back on when your done
SavnTheWales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 03:22 PM   #10

We resolved the sewer smell in the bedroom by replacing the washing machine drain vent cap with a better quality unit from Home Depot...vent is located behind the back wall in the left hand (louvered) closet...the "sewer smell" is sourced from the gray water tank, ..the vacuflush is a closed system and should not smell..
Boundless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 06:46 AM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16bounder View Post
The only time we had a sewer smell in the bedroom on our '16 35K, was the first time the bellows in the pump was compromised. We do however, every now and then have a urine smell in the 1/2 bath. Wifey smells an odor as you describe, but seems to be from shower drain. We keep grey water closed and open only to dump, but smell still emanates sometime. So far, we use either baking soda and vinegar or the Blue Power liquid. I am beginning to use powder laundry detergent poured down the drain and let sit for a bit then wash it down. Not sure why the smell comes, but as you it is very intermittent...comes and goes.
Our 2015 35K has a pop-a-vent behind the panel, on the faucet wall, of the shower. It is your shower vent location. Secondly I pour cleaner in the shower drain when it begins to start to drain slowly.
Heavy-13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
smell