Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-26-2016, 10:38 PM   #1
RRR

Ford Super Duty Owner
2016 Battery Discharge

2016 Bounder 34T, Anniversary Edition. Got an apparent battery discharge problem house and chassis. Unit is about month old.

Parked 12 days ago went out today and no 12 volt after I flipped the disconnect switch. Figured I must have left something on so went to start it. Chassis battery dead too. Jumped it got it running. Now to find what caused problem.

Since the rig is new to me I was really careful getting everything off and I can confirm when I killed the 12 volt that it is off as I can see the antenna light go out.
I know I checked the inverter, Magnum MS2000, and it s light was off. Since the refer was open I know the light in it was off. Didn't throw the manual disconnect to the inverter as I could see that it was off. Turned off the "Main" disconnect, switch located next to the "Aux" disconnect, even though not sure what this is suppose to turn off.

Before jumping I confirmed chassis battery dead with volt meter and same with house batteries, four 6v.

Somewhere there is a relay, BIRD (is that the right term?) or something that allowed the chassis battery to get into the mix and kill it too.

Any grand ideas on where to start figuring this out?

Kind of an after thought and thinking out loud but I wonder if the booster switch could be incorrectly wired? Wonder if I can get my oversize self under the dash to check it.
RRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-27-2016, 06:40 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRR View Post
2016 Bounder 34T, Anniversary Edition. Got an apparent battery discharge problem house and chassis. Unit is about month old.

Parked 12 days ago went out today and no 12 volt after I flipped the disconnect switch. Figured I must have left something on so went to start it. Chassis battery dead too. Jumped it got it running. Now to find what caused problem.

Since the rig is new to me I was really careful getting everything off and I can confirm when I killed the 12 volt that it is off as I can see the antenna light go out.
I know I checked the inverter, Magnum MS2000, and it s light was off. Since the refer was open I know the light in it was off. Didn't throw the manual disconnect to the inverter as I could see that it was off. Turned off the "Main" disconnect, switch located next to the "Aux" disconnect, even though not sure what this is suppose to turn off.

Before jumping I confirmed chassis battery dead with volt meter and same with house batteries, four 6v.

Somewhere there is a relay, BIRD (is that the right term?) or something that allowed the chassis battery to get into the mix and kill it too.

Any grand ideas on where to start figuring this out?

Kind of an after thought and thinking out loud but I wonder if the booster switch could be incorrectly wired? Wonder if I can get my oversize self under the dash to check it.
In the inverter bay there is a BCC (Battery Control Center). I believe this is what you are calling a BIRD. The relays that connect the chassis and house batteries are inside this unit.
When you say they were dead what were the voltages?
I've had a problem with my chassis battery going dead even though I've enabled the battery disconnect. I believe my chassis issue is simply the battery is toast because it has been discharged too many times while on the dealer lot. A load test is needed for that and mine is a Ford right now being tested.
The BCC only connects the 2 separate 12v systems when the voltages are above a certain charge voltage (and how it charges both systems when one is being charged). Also, when you use the boost switch. There are other threads on BCC and have manuals attached. You can do a search in this forum to find.
You can check the voltages on the panel above the door (where the generator hour meter and tank levels are). You can also use a multimeter to check.
Let us know what you find.
Old 07-27-2016, 08:14 AM   #3
RRR

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by computerguy View Post
In the inverter bay there is a BCC (Battery Control Center). I believe this is what you are calling a BIRD. The relays that connect the chassis and house batteries are inside this unit.
When you say they were dead what were the voltages?
I've had a problem with my chassis battery going dead even though I've enabled the battery disconnect. I believe my chassis issue is simply the battery is toast because it has been discharged too many times while on the dealer lot. A load test is needed for that and mine is a Ford right now being tested.
The BCC only connects the 2 separate 12v systems when the voltages are above a certain charge voltage (and how it charges both systems when one is being charged). Also, when you use the boost switch. There are other threads on BCC and have manuals attached. You can do a search in this forum to find.
You can check the voltages on the panel above the door (where the generator hour meter and tank levels are). You can also use a multimeter to check.
Let us know what you find.
Ahh! That is what that is. It is installed in such a way that I can see no information on it. Sort of like the inverter on/switch being covered by the wiring and no manual for either. I'll do some research on the BBC.

The chassis battery was around 4.8 volts but I really was only looking to see if it was dead so not sure on the exact number. The house batteries varied 2.1 to 3.2 if I remember right. Again not really looking for exact numbers.

Your dealer lot mention rang a bell with me. The day I test drove it it had to be jumped to start. Didn't really think much about it but later I figured that it likely was on the lot 30-45 days. The salesman said something off had that confirmed that. I thought that was rather fast for the chassis battery go go dead after a 2000 mile trip.
RRR is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery