Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-03-2021, 06:45 PM   #1

2016 Bounder black tank sensors - how to keep clean?

On my '16 Bounder 35K, I use the rinse port after dumping the black tank. I typically let the water run in for about 2 to 3 minutes. Afterwards, it is hit or miss if the sensors will read empty or 1/3 or 2/3 (after having just dumped the tank). How do these sensors work? Is there a probability that TP has gotten hung up on the sensor and the rinsing is not washing the paper away? What do I need to do so that the sensor consistently reads E when the tank has been dumped? Or is this a sign that the sensor is going bad - and if so, how does one access the sensor?
aribert is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-04-2021, 09:21 AM   #2

try this

RV_Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 03:01 PM   #3

Hung up on the sensors? No.
The sensors are on the outside of the tank. If you look at your fresh water tank you can see them on the outside of the tank. Same on the gray and black tank (but on mine you can't see the back or gray tank sensors because of where they are mounted.
That said, something could be hung up on the inside of the tank.
I had problems until this year when I did the geo method on mine. Now I make sure when dumping to fill the black tank back up with the rinse till it reads 2/3 full to make sure a good flush occurs. Haven't had a problem since I do that for the final flush. Simply running the tank flush is not enough IMO on these.
Another culprit could be hard water buildup on the inside of the tank. This wasn't my issue as I use a water softener. If that is it you'll need a professional tank cleaning to be done.
Old 10-04-2021, 03:11 PM   #4

I put TSP (tri sodium phosphate ) in my tanks on travel day and that does a good job cleaning.

On another occasion I put in 5 gallons of white vinegar and 5 gallons of water on the morning before a long driving day.

This did a good job on cleaning out hard water deposits.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3474.JPG
Views:	11
Size:	169.4 KB
ID:	345087
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 08:21 PM   #5

Just did mine with same problem. A full fill rinse took care of it.
SavnTheWales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 11:40 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
We constantly have the same problem. We flushed and cleaned and filled and just let it sit awhile. Finally, we found that there was wiring near the sensors that was being picked up by the sensors and read as contents in the tank. When we moved the wiring away from the sensor, the tank was suddenly empty. Very frustrating.
Old 10-05-2021, 07:31 AM   #7

Thank you all for your responses. Local hard water has not been an issue during our ownership. I hope electrical cross talk is not an issue as dano50 experienced - not even sure I can access the black tank much less the sensors. I'm headed over to the RV storage with a strong flashlight to have a look see behind the wet bay.

It would appear that my 2 to 3 minute rinse process has been inadequate. Looks like I'm about to work at cleaning the black tank. Minor problem is that I should have posted my question three weeks ago (while out West) and driving for 4 days - not now where I am back home and am taking care of minor issues, have no trips/driving planned and have put the MH up for sale. Based on your suggestions, I've got several web pages open to be read including several on the "geo method".

Again, thank you all for your responses.
aribert is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 12:40 PM   #8

Two scoops of Gain laundry detergent added to 1/3 to 1/2 fill with water just before you hit the road,or even just before you take a ride. It will slosh around and Boom it not only smells great but cleans the walls of the tank thoroughly.Always worked for me, Safe Travels
BOSTONBERNIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 02:39 PM   #9

Like BostonBernie's idea for the smell good and cleaning Think we'll try that in future every so often for a good deeper clean and fresh smelling black.

In meantime, we went through phase of emptying the black tank and the sensor reading still FULL. Started topping up our black tank to almost full = over 3/4s at minimum before driving to any dump area. All that liquid sloshing around plus a good rinse at the dump and we've not had an issue since.
SomeDay is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tank, black tank, bounder