Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-09-2018, 05:39 PM   #1

Ford Super Duty Owner
2017 Discovery Door Handle

We have a 2017 Discovery LXE 40D and the outside door handle won't open the door. The handle feels loose like it's not connected to anything and the remote doesn't seem to do anything or make any noise when button pushed. The inside handle works fine as long as the outside door handle is pushed all the way in. Anyone have any ideas?
CWSWine is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-09-2018, 05:48 PM   #2

Please take a picture of your door lock. My guess is that you have to adjust it. My second guess is that you will find a tab covering an access hole on the end of your door to adjust the lock. And my third guess is that you may have to take the door look apart and if if you are lucky you can bend an internal tab so that it engages the mechanism properly... at no cost to you! Good luck.
imnprsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 06:10 PM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
Here is the picture of the inside and outside. I did find a place on the edge of the door that has a what looks like 7/6 bolt with spring but have no idea what it does.
They came out sideways.....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0050.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	286.1 KB
ID:	206504   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0051.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	326.9 KB
ID:	206505  

Old 06-09-2018, 11:03 PM   #4

Yep... I thought so. You have the same door handle I do on my 2004 Itasca 40AD.

Go to my entry on 12/19/17 on this post and to view more picture of the Trimark 010-0900 Lock:

Replaced my TriMark 030-0900 entry door & dead-bolt lock hardware - Winnebago Owners Online Community

Note: First I would try to adjust the lock to see if that is the problem. It doesn't take long.

Let me describe the procedure for you. It's very easy:

* Open the door and remove the cover plate glued to the end of the door. This will give you access to the nut. Then using a 12mm deep sock (1/4" drive) that fits in the hole... you can adjust the nut by following these procedures:

1. Keeping the door open... close rotor/latch to simulate the door locking.

2. Lock the handle from the inside (using the lower manual lock lever). Keep the door open.

3. While pulling up on the inside handle, and keeping it pulled up, turn the locking nut clockwise until the latch releases. This takes up the slack in the mechanism. Note, you may have to back-off the nut a few turns first.

4. Once the latch springs open, turn the nut counterclockwise 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 turns.

5. Now test the door lock. I.e., unlock the door and open the door from the inside handle.

Note: If possible have someone inside the RV while you remain outside.

6. CHECK TO MAKE SURE THE INSIDE HANDLE DOES NOT OPEN THE DOOR WHEN IT IS LOCKED. RECHECK. AND RECHECK NORMAL OPERATION AGAIN.

===

If the outside handle does not work after you adjust the lock then you may have to back the adjustment nut all the way to the end of the shaft, but do not remove the adjustment nut.

You then need to separate the the door handle parts. And I can't remember if you need to separate the halves completely. I don't think so. I seem to remember using long needle-nose pliers to bend the tab in the inside of the plate so it mates properly with the unlocking mechanism.

Then reassemble and adjust nut back to where you think it was positioned. (Keep a mental note of the remaining number of the treads on the end of the shaft for an approximate adjusting point to screw the nut back on. Then follow the adjustment instructions in the previous post.

In closing, my lock would sometimes catch (meaning open) and sometime just flop and leave me locked out. Did your lock do the same thing?

Further, the upper deadbolt and key are completely separate mechanisms.

TIP: Inspect the striker bolt screwed into the door frame, and if you find it warn on one side or top and bottom, then turn it 90-degrees so you have some fresh metal for the latch to catch on.

AND I HOPE YOU KEEP A SPARE SET OF KEYS HIDDEN. I can't tell you how many time I closed my door without intending to lock the front door, only for the lock pin (red from the inside) to fall down and lock the door.

Lucky for you I checked recent posts tonight. I rarely do that. Maybe twice a year. ...Glad to help! Let us know if you fixed it!
Old 06-10-2018, 11:44 AM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks for all your effort, that is what makes this forum great.

I tried several times including backing out to the end of threads but no luck. We took off the striker and going to use the deadbolt to lock the door till I have more time and not out in the boonies.

Thanks again.....
Old 06-10-2018, 05:46 PM   #6

Without reading previous post, your problem is common I had it. There is a little bar that goes from the outside handle to move the lock mechanism and it’s probably bent. Remove inside cover to see if it’s bent and not in gauging.
Old 06-10-2018, 11:09 PM   #7

Maybe "Tha Rooster" can confirm you want to bend this tab as show by the arrow in the attached picture. I can't remember if you bend it up or down. I think you want it to be 90-degrees... and if your tab is bent you will see it, but you have to look close.

* I also don't think you can lock yourself out of the coach as long as you have the key. So maybe I shouldn't have mentioned this at all. It's just sort of scary when you are in the Boonies and you are betting the door will open.

* However, I wouldn't remove the striker bolt, because you need that for the door to close properly. This is your primary door (spring locking) mechanism. The dead bolt is sloppy and if you only have the deadbolt holding the door closed that will probably cause your door to make a lot of noise when you drive.

Couple more tips: If you have door noise when driving, you might try adding a few round felt pads to the door screws so the screen does wiggle.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tri-Mark 030-900 Outside Door Half (Iinside view with arrow).jpg
Views:	71
Size:	97.4 KB
ID:	206640  
Old 06-11-2018, 02:07 AM   #8

Those striker plates have a threaded plate INSIDE the door frame. Easy to un-thread and then the plate drops to the bottom of the door frame!!!
You cant get to it w/o removing the frame.
mchero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 11:09 AM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
I sitting in West Yellowstone and the hardware store doesn't have the star screwdrivers for the inside screws. I will add a set of star screwdrivers in the coach's toolbox for future trips. The closest major town is Bozeman (2-hour drive one way) and not wanting to waste another day of my bucket list Yellowstone trip working on the project.
I took the sticker off so we can use the deadbolt to secure the coach while we are sightseeing. The key just unlocks the door but still have to use the outside handle to open the door. Since the inside handle will open the door I plan to put the sticker back on when traveling and remove it while parked.

The plate the striker screws into floats and held in by a bracket with two screws so unless you take screws out the plate won't fall down in the door frame.

Thanks, everyone.

Tags
cover, door, discovery