Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-09-2019, 07:27 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
2018 35K full bath smell when run fan

We are experiencing a bad smell when we open the vent and run the fan while taking a shower. Husband thinks it smells like sewer and I think it smells more like well water with a strong sulphur smell. If we just open the vent and don’t turn on the fan then there’s no smell. We just retired and started traveling for longer periods of time and I don’t recall having this smell before when running this fan. Any suggestions?
Gypsy9978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-09-2019, 12:03 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
Very common problem. You are drawing air in through the waste tank via the venting system.
Also it could be a leaking toilet seal if your toilet is in the same room as the shower and vent.
Happy Glamping.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 12:17 PM   #3

Exhaust fan....pulls air out of room and exhausts it outside

Smell when running:
*Toilet Bowl.....if holds water then NOT source of smell
*Toilet Floor Flange Seal (foam gasket and can allow odors w/o leaking)
*AAV...Air Admittance Valve (Under sink cabinet on sink drain line) Opens when dumoing waste tank and then SHOULD close BUT cheap ones used by RV MFGs are just a tang that pulls diaphragm closed ---tang stretches/doesn't fully close off---------odors can be pulled back up thru the AAV

Long shot.......Dry 'P' traps
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 05:31 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Appreciate the responses and suggestions. I decided to try putting tank treatment (Happy Camper brand) into the gray tank and it seems to have resolved the problem. Also the weather has been a bit cooler too (now upper 70s/low 80s vs the recent high 80s/low 90s) so that may be a factor too.

Thanks everyone!

Pam
Old 08-11-2019, 03:20 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Something you might want to do. Open a window that way you draw in fresh air not holding tank air. When we camp in cold weather we usually open a window in the front of the coach, gives the breeze a chance to warm up before it gets to the bathroom.
paddler1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 05:25 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Odor when vnt fan running

Gypsy9978, like you we have a Bounder 35K and as indicated by others the vent is next to the sewer vent. We installed a "wind directional" vent cap and, as you, added tank treatment, that solved the problem 99.9% of the time.

The joys of RV'ing are you are never bored, there is always something to challenge your creativity!
Heavy-13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 06:20 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks everyone!

Pam
Old 08-13-2019, 06:54 PM   #8

Just stick your head in the sink cabinet. You'll know right away if it's the "one way" valve
Old 08-19-2019, 07:28 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The problem could also be anaerobic bacteria buildup in your hotwater tank. Which happens between periods of RV inactivity. Produces the smell you describe. Process to clean can be googled. basically drain tank and use vinegar or hydrogen peroxide and fill with water let sit for couple hours and flush. It doesn't happen often but it does happen, just part of the RV life, as I have learned it anyway!
PalForce1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 01:19 AM   #10

The only smells we've had in our 35k shower have been from a "bad" water hookup to very sulfurous smelling water. Had to flush everything after that. Small town in northern NV.
Bigfoot_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 05:36 PM   #11

We had a funky smell too when running the fan. Someone said that it could be no water in the elbow drain of the washer (as in our case). They recommended running a bit of water in the washer.
Kellyjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 09:30 PM   #12

Triple E Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Are you using well water? The reason I ask is because well water in hot water tank will produce a sulpher smell. I lived in a off grid house for 15 years and removed the aneroid rod that will stop the smell if the water has iron.
I never had any problems for 15 years. I changed out the Hot water tank after 15 years as I thought with no anoroid rod the tank may be rusting inside. I cut the tank apart to check the condition. I could not believe it was just like new. Wasted $500. I was informed that chlorine caused rust and was responsible for most water tank failures.
Just sayin my experience!
Run hot water and cold water separate if it smells with cold the water itself is not the problem?
Ted Lambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 12:48 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
Exhaust fan....pulls air out of room and exhausts it outside

Smell when running:
*Toilet Bowl.....if holds water then NOT source of smell
*Toilet Floor Flange Seal (foam gasket and can allow odors w/o leaking)
*AAV...Air Admittance Valve (Under sink cabinet on sink drain line) Opens when dumoing waste tank and then SHOULD close BUT cheap ones used by RV MFGs are just a tang that pulls diaphragm closed ---tang stretches/doesn't fully close off---------odors can be pulled back up thru the AAV

Long shot.......Dry 'P' traps
What I have found helpful is to create a P-trap with the sewer hose just below the connection discharge pipe and outside of the motorhome itself.
EddieM is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fan, smell