Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-16-2017, 04:08 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by paddler1954 View Post
I imagine if you went outside and looked under the slide in the area of the gap you would find the seal was cut to short. Should be an easy fix, even for a RV dealership.

If that is all you have found wrong with your coach so far, I'd say you're doing pretty good. Save the righteous indignation for when the poop really hits the fan.
Wow. I'd be choked if my brand new coach looked like that, too.

Very poor QC. Looks like they cut it with a chainsaw.......
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-16-2017, 04:42 PM   #16

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Looking straight down that 2" gap is like mine, it is OK. But looking out at an angle seeing outside is NOT!
The outside seal is not there. Call Fleetwood and ask for a different repair shop. It is not a major job you have to go to Decatur IN.
I'd wait until you find a bunch more problems before getting fixed, you will have many more.... I'm at 105 so far.
Old 12-17-2017, 08:04 AM   #17

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Fleetwood Discovery 39F Floor Gap Issue

They cut out a piece of the aluminum sub floor, I believe, to allow the wiring harness access Picture 1.

Then they placed some foam insulation on the outside end of the slide to close the gap when the slide is closed. Picture 2. Not exactly an elegant solution.

So, I guess, I need to stuff a rag in the gap when the slide is open to prevent critter access when the coach is in use. I also plan to place 5 inch wide luan down the gap to keep our dining chairs from sliding into the gap and to prevent wear on the underside of the carpet as it is pressed against the sharp aluminum edge as we step on the carpet.

Just have to "remember" to remove all of it before closing the slide.

Again, I will reach out to REV Group to see if they will repair under warranty or customize a solution (at my expense).

Thanks all for your input.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2017-12-17 09.40.45.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	220.4 KB
ID:	185941   Click image for larger version

Name:	2017-12-17 09.41.11.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	231.4 KB
ID:	185942  

rwatson22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 08:36 AM   #18

I see now what they did. This where your drain tube is for the washing machine. We had a recall on out 2016 Pace Arrow due to possible pinching and excessive wear to the hose. So the had to make the hole larger and add different bracing to prevent wear and pinching. I bet the worker at the factory goofed and made the the cut out to larger then what was supposed to be and just let it go as is. Like I said in my earlier post go to the REV factory and they will take care of you but it will not be at your expense that will be covered under the warranty.
RickyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 08:15 AM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
We have recently purchased a 2018 39F and we are not clear as to the gap you are referring to. Our dinning chair has at least 2 inches from the end of the carpet. Maybe you can slap a picture so I can be positive as to what gap you are referring to.
BobbyBa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 08:17 AM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
Sorry. Just saw your pics. No. We do not have that issue in ours.
BobbyBa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 07:42 AM   #21

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks,

When we go to the FL RV show in Tampa this January, we will be looking at all the Fleetwood floors

I know others with this model have the same issue, maybe they had a bad run.

Bob Watson
2018 39F
Manufactured in June 2017
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Floor Gap.png
Views:	153
Size:	701.3 KB
ID:	186154  
Old 12-21-2017, 05:14 PM   #22

Fleetwood Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
2nd the rev group in Decatur Ind. They took good care of us and wish I new it was there earlier. Safe travels Bob,Linda and missy
new rver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2017, 06:19 PM   #23

I have a 2014 excursion. I've had it for 30 days. It's my first RV ever. I like it but I have been doing more research and came across the Expeditions. They have a 38k model that has 3 slides instead of 2, and has 2 bathrooms! I'm looking for one if anyone has one. I too will be in Tampa next month.
repsolracer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 05:42 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwatson22 View Post
Yes that's the gap we have. If you look through the gap (on ours where the power extends to the slide) you see outside.

Had we seen this before accepting the coach, we would not have purchased. Never imagined a manufacturer would engineer something like this, at this price point, in the 21st century.

Plan to call them and see if they can correct.

Especially when there’s a decal on the side of our 2017 storm that says built with 21st century technology go figure. Not impressed .
Old 01-26-2018, 11:46 AM   #25

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
sorry to hear of the problems on such a great looking coach. Hope you get it worked out and can start enjoying the road!

Good luck and happy glamping!
Old 01-27-2018, 04:16 PM   #26

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by paddler1954
I imagine if you went outside and looked under the slide in the area of the gap you would find the seal was cut to short. Should be an easy fix, even for a RV dealership.

If that is all you have found wrong with your coach so far, I'd say you're doing pretty good. Save the righteous indignation for when the poop really hits the fan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleEEE View Post
Wow. I'd be choked if my brand new coach looked like that, too.

Very poor QC. Looks like they cut it with a chainsaw.......
We're talking a quarter of a million dollar coach....and "the worker cut something too short..." (and they let it go ????)

In this 21st century plant, don't they have something like we had in the 20th century called a blueprint or even a worksheet with something archaic like dimensions or, gulp, a tape measure. Maybe, measure twice, cut once ???

Why has it become acceptable/tolerable for these deficiencies in the RV industry ?
Old 01-28-2018, 10:45 AM   #27

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Since my original post, I have confirmed that this is the way they build the 39F. Other model Discoveries also have the floor gap but not necessarily the hole to the outside.

I noticed that Tiffin has a gap on some models but they cover it with a thin, hard plastic so you don't step through it.

I'm going to try and find some of that plastic and glue it down.
Old 01-28-2018, 05:31 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwatson22 View Post
Since my original post, I have confirmed that this is the way they build the 39F. .....
I'm speechless rwatson.

Tags
cover, discovery, fleetwood