Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-31-2021, 12:41 PM   #1

2018 Winterizing problems and noise behind bedroom drawers

I am follow the step by step Fleetwood instructions to winterize as I do every year.

This is the first year with the brass replacement water valve. The coach has a washer/dryer.

Adding compressed air didn't bring the usual volume of water from the hot water heater drain or low point drains. I did drain them completely before putting air on and got plenty of water out of the heater.

There is a loud noise from behind the bedroom (35K layout) drawers. I removed them and found a loop up the wall to what looks like some kind of dry break. If I press the valve, I get air out and the noise stops. So it looks like the problem is downstream from there.

I am not getting air out of any faucet - zero. I suspect I have a split line somewhere, I forgot to close the roof vents and only had the heat set on 41. We've had a couple of 33/34 degree nights. But no hard freeze or ice.

However, I can't find where/if the air is coming out, no evidence of water leaking, nor can I figure out why this dry break is making so much noise. Nor can I figure out why no air is coming out any of the faucets, including the outside shower which is probably the first thing in line.

Help!!!
Bigfoot_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-31-2021, 01:44 PM   #2

Ice in plumbing is blocking flow or ice has damaged valves and is blocking flow.
Persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2021, 02:00 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Persistent View Post
Ice in plumbing is blocking flow or ice has damaged valves and is blocking flow.
There's no evidence of anything frozen that I can see inside or outside. Heater is on and internal doors are open. I'll let it sit a bit.

I don't understand why the dry break is making so much noise?

If the line was just blocked (just like all faucets being closed), it should not make any noise.

How can I locate either a leak or blockage? All I can hear is the dry break valve. I've felt all up and down the supply lines from the water panel, and there's nothing.
Old 10-31-2021, 05:07 PM   #4
RRR

Ford Super Duty Owner
WAG but by chance could you have your compressed air hooked to the black flush?
Old 10-31-2021, 06:22 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRR View Post
No, I can feel the air coming out the dry/air break valve on the blue Pex when I press the valve button so I am definitely on the fresh water system.

Starting to wonder if this is somehow related to the new Anderson valve. It slightly changes the water inlet plumbing. Running the electric pump pumped some water out of the low point. But with air at the city inlet, nothing is coming out the low points or anywhere, either with the switch to winterize or normal use. I believe it adds a new check valve on the city inlet.

https://docs.wixstatic.com/ugd/99f63...b0fe50e2de.pdf
Old 10-31-2021, 08:24 PM   #6

First year with brass replacement valve, and now things don't work like they did last year? Where's this brass replacement valve, and how sure are you that it has the same internal passages as what it replaced?
Old 10-31-2021, 08:45 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by alank View Post
First year with brass replacement valve, and now things don't work like they did last year? Where's this brass replacement valve, and how sure are you that it has the same internal passages as what it replaced?
I attached the PDF in prior post. It is a replacement design from the original manufacturer of the plastic valve that fails.

https://www.abcorv.com/product-page/manrv101-rf

Thinking through it some more I am going back to the idea of the inlet line being iced up. The water pump could push water out the low point valves, but the air connected to the water inlet could not. Nothing really changed moving the valve from city inlet to winterize. (which moves the water inlet from post pump valve to pre-pump to blow out the pump, if you read the PDF. It simplifies the plumbing ever so slightly (the valve becomes 3 position, not 4 position) and adds a one way on one of the lines.

I suspect the inlet line goes up the wall to the dry break behind the bedroom drawers, then back down to the valve itself. I think my issue is between the water inlet and the valve, because the water pump itself was able to push water out.

So either that line or valve was frozen, or the dry break is just faulty.

Another idea might be to move the valve to the fill position, remove the tank cap and confirm the air makes it to the fresh tank. If that is also a problem it confirms the problem is upstream from the valve.
Old 11-01-2021, 09:55 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRR View Post
Well I'm embarrassed -- I had mis-remembered the black tank flush as not having a white rubber cap, and thinking that was only on the fresh water inlet and being very deliberate about putting it on the one with the whitie rubber cap.

What an idiot. Anyway, that was my problem and hopefully because the black tank is vented I haven't caused any issues.

My back was out and I couldn't get the water bay door fully open due to obstructions so I was just not thinking straight.

Thank you all.
Old 11-01-2021, 06:51 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot_ View Post
Well I'm embarrassed -- I had mis-remembered the black tank flush as not having a white rubber cap, and thinking that was only on the fresh water inlet and being very deliberate about putting it on the one with the whitie rubber cap.....
Thank you all.

Thank you
for posting the follow-up. I was concerned since I also replaced the defective plastic 4-way valve with the replacement Anderson / ABCO brass valve on my '16 Bounder 35k. I intend to do the compressed air method since the filter for the icemaker is not accessible and I don't want to get RV antifreeze into the filter. I'm watching the 7 day weather forecast daily to see when I must winterize - expect that to be within a week or two max.
aribert is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ems, noise, problem, problems, winter