Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-04-2020, 01:07 PM   #1
DDE

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
2020 Fleetwood Flair 29M Concerns

Hi Everyone, I am new to the RV world with our First motorhome 2020 Fleetwood Flair 29M. Purchased new at what we thought was a great price for a starter RV for just My wife, Myself, and dog.
Finding just a couple of issues:
- The Ride is rough Feels like riding on concrete blocks and loud in the cockpit.
- Can not swivel the driver seat around past steering wheel without a lot of force.

Any suggestions on improving ride? Has anyone cracked the secret to swiveling the driver seat around the steering wheel?

Thanks
Dave
2020 Fleetwood Flair 29M
DDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-04-2020, 05:29 PM   #2

First of all, welcome to the life. Now I am not sure of your layout but on our Storm. To turn the driver’s seat around, the slide must be out and then you push the drivers seat back all the way then it will clear the the steering wheel. No problem with passenger seat, we can turn that one anytime. As far as ride, you come to the write forum. Do a search and you find lots of options. But don’t expect miracles, you are driving a house on a truck frame. I would start with the cheap handling fix (CHF) that TeJay explains how to do very well. I did that one and it makes a big improvement in handling. In my opinion. I was able to do it my self in my driveway. Hope this helped a little.
Old 05-04-2020, 06:15 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDE View Post
Hi Everyone, I am new to the RV world with our First motorhome 2020 Fleetwood Flair 29M. Purchased new at what we thought was a great price for a starter RV for just My wife, Myself, and dog.
Finding just a couple of issues:
- The Ride is rough Feels like riding on concrete blocks and loud in the cockpit.
- Can not swivel the driver seat around past steering wheel without a lot of force.

Any suggestions on improving ride? Has anyone cracked the secret to swiveling the driver seat around the steering wheel?

Thanks
Dave
2020 Fleetwood Flair 29M
Congratulations on the new coach. Hopefully they’ll let us all out to use them one of these days! I’m afraid there is not a whole lot you can do about the ride and the noise. It’s more or less the nature of the beast. Nevertheless, you can remove the engine cover and line it with sound deadening material. It’ll help some. The Cheap Handling Fix and a Roadmaster or similar steering stabilizer will improve handling significantly and are straightforward DIY projects if you like doing that sort of thing. By all means have the alignment done by a qualified truck shop. And, at some point get your coach weighed and adjust tire pressures accordingly. If you are under your maximum GVWR and are running pressures indicated on your yellow sticker in the cab you might be able to lower pleasures a bit with some softening of the ride.

Good luck. Don’t be surprised if you find some issues that need fixing but don’t forget to have fun!
Old 05-05-2020, 05:29 AM   #4
DDE

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks Pete and BD. I read about the CHF but didn't know what the CHF stood for Found the video and will take a look. As for the Driver seat, I have tried taking the seat whole way back but it's still very difficult to get past steering wheel. I have a feeling its a Flair 29m known issue.
Old 05-05-2020, 09:40 AM   #5
RRR

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDE View Post
Thanks Pete and BD. I read about the CHF but didn't know what the CHF stood for Found the video and will take a look. As for the Driver seat, I have tried taking the seat whole way back but it's still very difficult to get past steering wheel. I have a feeling its a Flair 29m known issue.
All you ever want to know, and not want to know, about the CHF can be found at
https://www.irv2.com/forums/f23/

As far as the seat, you say that you pushed all way back. Did you fold the backrest forward?
Old 05-06-2020, 04:56 AM   #6
DDE

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have looked at the Anti Sway bar and it is in the wrong position as you all stated. I will make that fix this weekend. As for the Driver's seat I did finally figure it out. Was a combination of tilting the seatback forward, Lowering the seat and moving it Forward, that allowed it to move past the steering wheel.
Thank you all for your responses. It's great to know people are willing to help.
Old 05-06-2020, 05:16 AM   #7

CHF isn't going to soften the ride but will stop some side to side rocking.

Find the tire pressure sticker and make sure the front tires are set at that, not what the sidewall says. Some get ready men at the dealer may just go by that and out to much air in them.

Don't just arbitrarily lower the tire PSI for a smooth ride. Either use the sticker #s or find a scale and do the math.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 12:41 PM   #8

Have a 2014 Fleetwood 28MS Storm. Pretty much the same. If you haven't had it weighed, go to CAT scale and do that then adjust your TP according to manufacture recommendation. That made a big difference on the ride. I also did the CHF and added the Safe-T-Plus which didn't do anything for ride but handling was greatly improved. No more white knuckles when 18 wheelers pass or cross winds. Suggest alignment check too. They typically do not align the RV. Found that out when I had to replace front tires due to wear. Lesson learned.

As far as noise, check under the dog house. Mine did not have any insulation installed at all. Ordered off of Amazon and installed under the whole dog house. Big improvement. I also built a cover for the dog house and lined it with insulation. DW and I can have a normal conversation now.
Dov327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 04:57 AM   #9
DDE

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks Dov. Will check out dog house. I did take a look at underside dashboard from engine department and I saw nothing so I suspect nothing under dog house also.
Will check TP and get weighed at Cat Scale down the road. Will have to look into were I can get alignment done no RV repair close my dealer is about 1.5 hours away.

Not getting pushed around by the truckers will definitely be an improvement.
Old 05-07-2020, 06:06 AM   #10

Smooth the Ride, some anyways

I had my RV alignment done at a place that does the Fleet box trucks and semi's. Cost $150.00 for all wheel alignment. Didn't figure bad price. Had him do tire balance also. That was hmmm 60 bucks a tire maybe??? Don't fully recall. But might be worth doing at least on the front tires.

After all that I find 60-65 is sweet spot for the ride on good roads. Besides 65 max tow speed on my CRV TOAD.
Dov327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 04:53 AM   #11

All good options also
Check out summo springs they made a huge difference along with stabilizer, rear sway, TP, and rear trac bar. Check out dynamat for insulating dog house.
Foodmanim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 10:59 AM   #12
DDE

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Looks like I do have stabalizer on the motor home

I took my new RV in for alignment it was pulling to the Right. They did find it was out of alignment. I asked them what Stabilizer he would recommend Safe T or Roadmaster. He tells me I already have stabilizer on my 2020 Flair 29M.

I guess the 2020 Flairs are coming with Blisten Stabilizers which don't know if good or bad but I still have lots of play in my steering wheel.

He said give some time to break in the ride may get better. To me that sounds like he is saying keep driving you will get used to it.

Think I may have to go drive some other Motor homes and see how they ride.
Old 05-17-2020, 05:29 AM   #13

There shouldn't be play in the wheel. The stabilizer is supposed to bring the front tires back to center with no effort. The way these things are built I wouldn't be surprised if what the put on at the factory is under sized or just junk.
I have the roadmaster and its fantastic. They.make great products I would replace what you have. This is my 3rd RV and the second one I did all suspension upgrades a little at a time the last one I took in and did everything all at once. You won't be sorry.
(Stabilizer, front and rear stabilizers, summo springs front and rear, rear trac bar)
Foodmanim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 05:00 PM   #14

I purchased a 2021 Flair 29M last year. Had a number of warranty issues that have been fixed but one of them was turning the driver seat.

The way to do it is o put steering wheel up, move seat all the way back and down. Arm rest down then using the lever on the side of the seat push seat back all the way forward. It will then turn but it’s tight!

I am upgrading mine at the moment with front and rear Sumo springs, rear Trac bar and a Steer Safe stabilizer up front. From what I have read all these hours make a big difference.

I’m going to work on dog house noise next before we get going on our trips this year.

Overall my wife and I love this floor plan and size, but remember this is an entry level Class A...but it is one of the better ones I’m told
JBRoberts is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air, fleetwood