RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-29-2020, 09:54 AM   #1

2021 Bounder/Southwind CCC

My wife and I are in the preliminary stages of shopping for our next coach. We've bounced around a bit on brands and models under consideration. What we are decided on is a gas coach in the 35-foot range or a little smaller, similar in length to what we currently have.

One of the brands we've looked at is Fleetwood. We like the floor plans of the Bounder 33C and Southwind 34C, expecially with the optional free-standing dinette. What we're more concerned about, though, is the fact that it rides on a 22K chassis. So far, I've not been able to find any actual or estimated cargo carrying capacity for either of these models. Does anyone have one of these models? Even the information for an older model with the V-10 but the same chassis would be helpful. While we are not yet ready to buy, we are ready to look, but we don't want to look at anything that we know going in won't meet our needs. Thanks.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-29-2020, 12:10 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaltH View Post
My wife and I are in the preliminary stages of shopping for our next coach. We've bounced around a bit on brands and models under consideration. What we are decided on is a gas coach in the 35-foot range or a little smaller, similar in length to what we currently have.

One of the brands we've looked at is Fleetwood. We like the floor plans of the Bounder 33C and Southwind 34C, expecially with the optional free-standing dinette. What we're more concerned about, though, is the fact that it rides on a 22K chassis. So far, I've not been able to find any actual or estimated cargo carrying capacity for either of these models. Does anyone have one of these models? Even the information for an older model with the V-10 but the same chassis would be helpful. While we are not yet ready to buy, we are ready to look, but we don't want to look at anything that we know going in won't meet our needs. Thanks.
Not sure about the 34C but my 32VS on the 22k chassis CCC is just shy of 4000#. Totally loaded with full fuel and water I'm at 21,140# and that's with about 400# of trailer tonque weight. Both axles are well under their respective GVWR's.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WEIGHT SHEET.JPG
Views:	7
Size:	30.6 KB
ID:	306364  
Old 10-29-2020, 01:32 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by PbdBlue View Post
Not sure about the 34C but my 32VS on the 22k chassis CCC is just shy of 4000#. Totally loaded with full fuel and water I'm at 21,140# and that's with about 400# of trailer tonque weight. Both axles are well under their respective GVWR's.
Thanks for the info. I guess we'll have to go look at the Bounder and Southwind if our local dealer ever gets one in (supposedly in December or January).
Old 10-29-2020, 02:04 PM   #4

Hi, I was also looking at the Bounder 33C and Southwind 34C. Like you I was very interested in Occupant & Cargo Carrying Capacity (OCCC). It is very difficult to find this information but I was able to obtain it for a 2021 model. Factory weight was 19773 and OCCC was 2227. Note that the factory weight and OCCC are specific to each individual coach based on options and equipment so your exact coach will vary somewhat.

To get to CCC, you need to subtract weight of fresh water, gray water, black water, water heater water, and passengers. For calculations of water weight I assumed 20gals of fresh water and both the black and gray tanks were 40% full. Passengers include my wife and me plus our cat. The CCC then calculated to be only 1375 pounds - pretty disappointing to me.
JimBones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 02:12 PM   #5

Note that in my previous post, I mentioned factory weight. That includes full tank of fuel and propane but no water, cargo, or passengers. I also found the factory weight of 19559 lbs and OCCC of 2441 lbs for a 2019 model 33C. I don't think the 2019 unit included the combo washer/dryer and theater seat.
Old 10-29-2020, 03:36 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimBones View Post
Hi, I was also looking at the Bounder 33C and Southwind 34C. Like you I was very interested in Occupant & Cargo Carrying Capacity (OCCC). It is very difficult to find this information but I was able to obtain it for a 2021 model. Factory weight was 19773 and OCCC was 2227. Note that the factory weight and OCCC are specific to each individual coach based on options and equipment so your exact coach will vary somewhat.

To get to CCC, you need to subtract weight of fresh water, gray water, black water, water heater water, and passengers. For calculations of water weight I assumed 20gals of fresh water and both the black and gray tanks were 40% full. Passengers include my wife and me plus our cat. The CCC then calculated to be only 1375 pounds - pretty disappointing to me.
That's closer to what I figured it might be. I know the carrying capacity is different from coach to coach, which is why I was looking for some ball park numbers.

We won't have a cat, which should save us a few pounds. I don't necessarily want to carry 3,000-plus pounds of stuff, but I'm looking for at least that much carrying capacity so we can carry a full tank of water if we need to and still have room for more than ourselves and a few cans of food.
Old 10-29-2020, 04:48 PM   #7

A full tank of fresh water is 100 gal plus 10 gal in the water heater so that is about 913 lbs. For my calculations, I used 20 gals at 166 lbs. So to carry all that water, you would have to reduce the CCC by 747 lbs. But without the cat you gain 10 lbs (unless you are dog people!)
Old 10-30-2020, 09:50 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimBones View Post
A full tank of fresh water is 100 gal plus 10 gal in the water heater so that is about 913 lbs. For my calculations, I used 20 gals at 166 lbs. So to carry all that water, you would have to reduce the CCC by 747 lbs. But without the cat you gain 10 lbs (unless you are dog people!)
I'm a dog person, my wife is not. Needless to say, we don't have a dog. Too bad they don't offer the Bounder 33C/Southwind 34C with an optional 24K chassis. That would make it a real possibility for us.

Tags
bounder, southwind, wind