Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-25-2023, 03:09 PM   #1

2021 pinion seal leak

So my 2022 35 k has a leak in the pinion seal I think .it splattered droplets on my toad on the 4 day 1500 Mille trek to Florida and now the differential brake has a little drip each week or so I notice at my campground . The lower fill hole has been checked each month and is full and dribbles out a little gear oil each time I’ve checked it. My question is could it have been overfilled with the first low fluid recall and now is leaking to normal levels. Then it might stop. But more important is I’m heading home in 3 weeks and should I check it every nite on my 3 day journey ,put in some bars diff leak stop or just stop fretting. My local ford dealer said they would look at it when I get home, and I can’t mess with it here unless absolutely ness as I’m obviously living in it.Thanks
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-25-2023, 03:22 PM   #2

No, it's not overfilled and causing a leak.

There have been a few reports of pinion seal leaks on this site.

Need to find a Ford dealer who works on RVs.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2023, 03:47 PM   #3

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I filled mine with 3 1/2 quarts in May of 2021 while waiting for the recall to be serviced. After that I had some leaking I also thought was the seal. They performed the recall in July of 2021 and told me the seal was fine. I have not had one drop leak since. I believe I over filled and it was indeed from the overflow.
Old 02-25-2023, 04:04 PM   #4

Does it have a working vent? Meaning not plugged or kinked.
Rob_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2023, 06:16 AM   #5

Yeah your probably right , my luck will be it keeps dripping till I get it replaced.
Old 02-26-2023, 06:19 AM   #6

I can hope that I can make it home .I will check my toad for blobs on it again and check the pumpkin fill hole each nite. The vent was located and I blew in it with my lips and it flowed. No jokes please,but glad no one saw me doing it haha.
Old 03-07-2023, 11:02 PM   #7

Check the vent. My 35k vent was plugged and both tires had fluid on them. Pulled end of vent off and cleaned it out. No more leak.
Old 03-08-2023, 11:49 AM   #8

2021 pinion seal leak

Quote:
Originally Posted by SavnTheWales View Post
Check the vent. My 35k vent was plugged and both tires had fluid on them. Pulled end of vent off and cleaned it out. No more leak.

Post #4 and #6.
Old 03-17-2023, 06:12 PM   #9

well I made it 1600 miles, checking each nite after 500 miles.
I had variable readings from the lower check fill hole,. one day it was running over and one day about 1/4 inch below. I think I was not perfectly level. Day one I noticed a drip drip from the bottom of the parking break. Then after home I checked and its still 1/4 below fill once level. a drop or two noted on the driveway. I'm torn on whether to replace the seal or not. But will if my local Ford shop will do it.
Old 03-18-2023, 01:42 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassdoc View Post
well I made it 1600 miles, checking each nite after 500 miles.
I had variable readings from the lower check fill hole,. one day it was running over and one day about 1/4 inch below. I think I was not perfectly level. Day one I noticed a drip drip from the bottom of the parking break. Then after home I checked and its still 1/4 below fill once level. a drop or two noted on the driveway. I'm torn on whether to replace the seal or not. But will if my local Ford shop will do it.

If it makes you feel better, as long as there’s enough oil for the ring gear to pick up and distribute, your diff parts are getting lubricated. Completely different than an engine oiling system with a pump where air cavitation can cause bearing damage.
The ring gear isn’t far off the bottom of the diff housing. That being said, the more oil you have in there the cooler it will run. Diffs get pretty hot.

Have you tried a gear lube stop leak additive?
Old 03-18-2023, 01:56 PM   #11

Your splashing gear oil on your parking brake shoes. They will absorb the oil and be ruined.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2023, 02:11 PM   #12

2021 pinion seal leak

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
Your splashing gear oil on your parking brake shoes. They will absorb the oil and be ruined.

Twinboat is correct. Get it repaired and they need to check the parking brake pads/shoes for oil impregnation.
Old 03-18-2023, 03:45 PM   #13

All good advice , I will see if I can get my Ford dealer here to repair it.otherwise I will need to travel a long way to get an authorized warranty place that will do it .
Old 03-20-2023, 11:56 AM   #14

My local ford shop has agreed to accept my rig in 2 days to do the inspection and get started on the job, great news . I’ll post an update when I have a resolution. I’m ready to be done worrying about this issue . Then on to the next issue to resolve. The recall on the propane POL. Just got that letter and my fleetwood dealer today said I could bring that in in a few weeks for the test etc. Glad I’m retired and have extra free time for this stuff.

Tags
leak, seal