Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-07-2021, 03:31 PM   #29

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mack73 View Post
Be interested to hear how the shocks work for you. Just picked up my 35k and so far I love the new v8 chassis and don't think I really need anything done to it based on the 8 hours of driving I have done. I will probably do the rear track bar eventually but so far the push from passing trucks hasn't really been noticed

Also were you able to do the shocks and sumos with the wheels on?
Yes, wheels on and using the levelers. The Southwind was very capable out of the box, but as I get older, I want all the help and cushion provided by after market parts. Roads aren't getting any better and our trip to FL with cross winds proved challenging for 8 hours of driving per day. A few times, the crappy roads on I-95 caused my GPS to fall off the dash. I also had an incident where cross winds pushed a semi into my lane and I ran on the rumble strip for a bit. Sitting above the front axle doesn't help. We're headed up the road to Niagara Falls (6 hrs) for a couple of days in a few weeks. I'll post the results.
GMan2021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-07-2021, 05:02 PM   #30

Fleetwood Owners Club
My bug/wasp screen

Here are a few pics of my solution to nesting pest in the RV vents.

Thanks for viewing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0364.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	251.4 KB
ID:	327556   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0365.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	479.3 KB
ID:	327557  

Old 05-08-2021, 07:43 AM   #31
US1

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMan2021 View Post
That's my plan too. How's it holding up?
great. I made the screens for my previous RV, so when I traded a few weeks ago, I transferred them over to the new one. The screens are on the insides, so not noticeable from outside.
Old 05-08-2021, 07:52 AM   #32
US1

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMan2021 View Post
Here are a few pics of my solution to nesting pest in the RV vents.

Thanks for viewing.
Is that door screen material? Will it hold up to the exhaust heat? The material I used is SS. The rods themselves are thicker than the vents, so they will be around long after.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	9478CEEA-15D5-4E1F-9A92-15DF1F47550A.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	207.6 KB
ID:	327624  
Old 05-08-2021, 08:56 AM   #33

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by US1 View Post
Is that door screen material? Will it hold up to the exhaust heat? The material I used is SS. The rods themselves are thicker than the vents, so they will be around long after.
Yes, metal window screen. You're right, its kinda of thin and may not hold up to the heat. I'll have to check on getting thicker stuff. Thanks.
Old 05-11-2021, 08:24 AM   #34

I have a 2018 Southwind 36P on the 30k chassis.

Now have 40k miles and it has never been in a shop except for
adding sumo springs and Tracsteer bar and a couple of Kwikee step failures. Love it. Virtually no sway even on mountain roads. Cannot even feel it when a truck passes. Did the CHF when I got it.
Jimg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 04:23 PM   #35

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimg View Post
I have a 2018 Southwind 36P on the 30k chassis.

Now have 40k miles and it has never been in a shop except for
adding sumo springs and Tracsteer bar and a couple of Kwikee step failures. Love it. Virtually no sway even on mountain roads. Cannot even feel it when a truck passes. Did the CHF when I got it.
Awesome!
A heavier MH or a DP would be nice, but not in my cards. LOL
I'm sure my MH was slapped together at breakneck speed to take advantage of the high demand. Fleetwood "could" have had this Ford chassis repaired prior to building a house on it, but they could have missed a sale. I have reasonable expectations. I can deal with quality issues and handy enough to turn a wrench. I counted 6 screws so far that either have not been bothered to be installed or fell out. There's less than stellar undercoating and bare metal everywhere. Two cans of black spray paint took care of the spots I could access. I realigned two cargo doors, snapped in three overhead light covers that fell out on ride home. Driver's side front light marker fell out of the rubber grommet. The hydraulic fluid for the levelers have been topped off twice. Someday if I get over to the East REV factory, I'll have them look at at a few things like the levelers, the main slide leaving marks on the floor and the fresh water three way selector getting stuck require a wrench to turn.

In the end....I'm happy with my purchase. I'm fortunate enough to have the means to make it my own.

Thanks.
Old 05-12-2021, 03:04 PM   #36

GMan, if it's the big slide that is marking the floor, you may need more rollers
added. When I went to REV Decatur to have some things fixed, I mentioned
to the tech about having enough rollers, he added 3 more without question.
He also gave me some protectors that I put down on the floor aligned with the
rollers before I bring in slide. Adding the rollers was for some of the big slides
had started to sag in the middle.. Don't know why they don't put more rollers in while they are building it. You may only need the protectors but if you ever go back to the factory service center, ask them about the rollers.
Old 05-12-2021, 03:09 PM   #37

GMan,

A couple more things. As for your Anderson valve, only turn it when there
is no water pressure on it and always turn it clockwise.
Also, when you check the fluid level of your jacks, only check the fluid level
with the jacks up. Don't top it off, fill it to the full line.
Old 05-12-2021, 11:03 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyjcbs View Post
GMan, if it's the big slide that is marking the floor, you may need more rollers
added. When I went to REV Decatur to have some things fixed, I mentioned
to the tech about having enough rollers, he added 3 more without question.
He also gave me some protectors that I put down on the floor aligned with the
rollers before I bring in slide. Adding the rollers was for some of the big slides
had started to sag in the middle.. Don't know why they don't put more rollers in while they are building it. You may only need the protectors but if you ever go back to the factory service center, ask them about the rollers.
I was also shocked to see only 2 rollers on the living room slide on my 35k. Would have figured there would have been 4 based on the length. I'm getting black marks from the seal rubbing the floor when I have passengers sitting in the dinette while driving.

Has anyone attempted to install additional rollers themselves? If I stop the slide just after it rides up it appears that there could be enough room to get in there an add a couple rollers without jacking or doing crazy tricks with 2x6's to jam it at an angle. I'm assuming they are just bolted into the metal framing?
mack73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 10:10 AM   #39

Ok .... After all this talk above about slides and REV in Decatur, ID. I thought I would share my GOOD story about what happened with my RV and its super slide. Here is a link that will take about 2 minutes to read and tell you my story with our 2019 Southwind and REV.

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f59/flee...od-471445.html

This was written in January of 2020 around the time Covid started and in the US, we were just hearing that it was starting to spread out to other countries.

I hope you enjoy.
AZ RV'r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 03:46 PM   #40

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ RV'r View Post
Ok .... After all this talk above about slides and REV in Decatur, ID. I thought I would share my GOOD story about what happened with my RV and its super slide. Here is a link that will take about 2 minutes to read and tell you my story with our 2019 Southwind and REV.

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f59/flee...od-471445.html

This was written in January of 2020 around the time Covid started and in the US, we were just hearing that it was starting to spread out to other countries.

I hope you enjoy.
Thanks for the link to your experience. Much appreciated!
Old 05-18-2021, 10:28 PM   #41

Fleetwood Owners Club
Niagara Falls Trip

First, Thanks for following this thread. It's turned into a Journal.

After installing the Koni shocks and front Sumo springs, I can say it improved the coach's ride from Central NJ to Western NY (Niagara Falls) It was like a ghost town and all the attractions including the food venues were closed at the Falls(at least when we were there this past Monday) The border with Canada is still closed too.
In my opinion, the combo of Koni shocks and front Sumo springs help the bounce and harness of the road. My gasser is never gonna ride like a caddy, but its getting close. Because the Sumo springs connect the frame and leaf springs with the two piece configuration, it tighten the front end a bit too. My last consideration would be to install radius arms to eliminate more of the front leaf spring lateral movement.

There were 6% ascents on this route and flooring it resulted in a screaming engine in 4th at just over 4K rpm to get up to or to maintain speed. The fan would kick in after a bit and make a 90+ decibel hum. Once it leveled off, it'll kick into 5th and purr. If I let up on the gas after the level, it would go into 6th and I can barely hear the engine.

I've been looking into 5Star Tuning.
I've tuned vehicles before, but with tunes that can be reversed to stock when you need to bring it in for warranty work or I've downloaded the tune way after the initial warranties have expired.

5Star claims improved HP, torque and quicker shifting along with downshifting for descents in the new 7.3 V8 with 6 speed tranny.

We'll see.....

Again. Thanks for reading.
Old 06-02-2021, 10:26 PM   #42

Fleetwood Owners Club
I got it weighed today and was very surprised at the low numbers. I was loaded as if we were underway except the wifey and the boogers (max 210lbs combined). I'm going to lower my cold tire pressure to 80-85lbs from the current 90lbs. It should soften the ride a bit. At @5K, I also changed out the motor oil and filter and greased the front end. I should tap the Safe-T-Plus just at a tad left too before our trek to the Grand Canyon in July.

I will try to make it to REV in Aug for the leaky leveler fluid and the slide out roller issues.

Thanks for reading.

Tags
southwind, wind