Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-14-2021, 03:46 PM   #1

2021 Southwind one ore two Heat Pumps?

I’m looking for first hand informations about the Heat Pump(s) in my 2021 Southwind.
I spend the last few days to check all equipment in our new Motorhome before we hit the road.
So I checked also the function of the Heat Pump which I should or shouldn’t have in both AC.
The rear Heat Pump works and blow warm the front Heat Pump blows only cold air.
I called the service department of the dealer where I bought the RV and they told me that the coaches comes typically only with a Heat Pump in the rear AC unit and not in the front AC.
The control panel have the option “Heat Pump” in both AC but by switching it on the front the AC blows only cold air (it seams that the compressor is running).
Now here is the point, in the option overview on the first pictur it shows “Rear Heat Pump” but in the detailed option list on the second picture it shows “Dual Heat Pumps”.

Now my question is, does the 2021 Southwind comes with 1 or 2 Heat Pumps?

...I know it’s a lot of reading but thank you for taking the time. 😉

Greetings Thomas
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	9BC78FE3-1C98-4BA7-B48D-53245A580BD0.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	252.9 KB
ID:	314429   Click image for larger version

Name:	A98D5EF6-0202-4BBB-9129-05BD0596D3E5.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	136.8 KB
ID:	314430  

FloridaTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-15-2021, 02:10 AM   #2

The Southwind has duel heat pumps. There was a typo in the literature. The Bounder only has a rear heat pump.
rodeodon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 12:41 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodeodon View Post
The Southwind has duel heat pumps. There was a typo in the literature. The Bounder only has a rear heat pump.
Wow, if that is true one really must do their due diligence when shopping.
My '16 Bounder 35K has dual heat pumps. With that and a fireplace I almost never have to use the propane furnace. Even temps around 35 the heat pumps still keep it 67 inside. To put it in perspective, I've only filled my propane tank ONCE since I bought it in 2015 and I live full time in it.
Old 01-16-2021, 11:47 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

I'm told the newest American Coaches also have just one heat pump, even the 45 footers with 3 roof units (only the center one is a heat pump). Supposedly the factory explanation is that its only an auxiliary heat source to "take the chill off" so you don't need all three. An Aquahot system is the primary central heat on those coaches and they are nearly silent anyway.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 07:46 AM   #5

[QUOTE=computerguy;5596892]Wow, if that is true one really must do their due diligence when shopping.
My '16 Bounder 35K has dual heat pumps. With that and a fireplace I almost never have to use the propane furnace. Even temps around 35 the heat pumps still keep it 67 inside. To put it in perspective, I've only filled my propane tank ONCE since I bought it in 2015 and I live full time in it.[/QUOTE

My 18 Bounder only has a heat pump in the rear. The "thermostat" for the front or Zone 1 says "Heat Gas" while rear or Zone 2 says "Heat Elec". Rear does warm things up too but then I'm in Texas and Louisiana. Between the heat pump and elec fireplace, only used Heat Gas on 1 trip.
meebarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 08:45 AM   #6

[QUOTE=meebarb;5600227]
Quote:
Originally Posted by computerguy View Post
Wow, if that is true one really must do their due diligence when shopping.
My '16 Bounder 35K has dual heat pumps. With that and a fireplace I almost never have to use the propane furnace. Even temps around 35 the heat pumps still keep it 67 inside. To put it in perspective, I've only filled my propane tank ONCE since I bought it in 2015 and I live full time in it.[/QUOTE

My 18 Bounder only has a heat pump in the rear. The "thermostat" for the front or Zone 1 says "Heat Gas" while rear or Zone 2 says "Heat Elec". Rear does warm things up too but then I'm in Texas and Louisiana. Between the heat pump and elec fireplace, only used Heat Gas on 1 trip.
Yep. The Tstat will say it but only certain package upgrades (like the LX package) have a front heat pump. Pop the grill and get the model number. That will tell you for sure. Also the heat pump will only run within 5 degrees of the Tstat setting. Outside that the gas furnace will come on until it's within 5 degrees.
Old 02-15-2021, 11:11 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
I checked mine today. I only have a rear heat pump in my AC units. There is no option on the control panel for the front one. At least that's the case for my 2021 34C.
GMan2021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 11:05 PM   #8

Here the latest update about the missing heat pump.

I had a appointment with my dealer, they checked the two AC units and they found out that only the rear AC is equipped with a heat pump.
So the dealer called Fleetwood and they confirmed that the 2021 Southwind comes standard with dual heat pumps and they have no idea why my Southwind have only one
Long story short they ordered a new AC with heat pump and they will change the AC free of charge.

So if you have only one heat pump in your 2021 Southwind (maybe the bounder should have also 2) contact your dealer.
FloridaTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 07:41 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Wow! What a douche move by Fleetwood. I bet every Southwind rolls off the line with just one A/C unit with a heat pump. It's configured into the control panel that way. Some marketing guy figured they can save a few bucks. No harm no foul. They'll just say "I dont know how that happened" to less than half that cared to ask.

Thanks for your attention to detail FloridaTom.

I'll be giving my local Fleetwood dealership a call since I purchased my Southwind in MA. They'll probably have to update the computer in the control panel too.
GMan2021 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heat, heat pump, pump, southwind, wind