Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-11-2013, 05:53 AM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Hi, I don't want to throw a monkey wrench into your project and it is nice that you have the drawings but I have a few questions for you to ponder.

1 - Do you know that 50 amp service is 220volt AC?
2 - Is your AC panel wired for 220V service?
3 - is the wiring in the coach the proper gauge for 220v?

There is more to wiring 50A than you think and before I would try to do it I would check with Fleetwood and get their thoughts. Maybe it can be done but by a qualified electrician or the manufacturer or a Fleetwood Dealer.

This is just food for thought and a lot to think about as you don't want to play with electricity and maybe even cause a fire and put your loved ones in danger.

Those are my thoughts and something I would not consider doing on my coach as if the manufacturer thought I needed 50 Amps then they would have put it in.

Tom-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-11-2013, 07:59 AM   #16

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifftall View Post
X2 and update us as you go as I'm sure others may want to do this. Good luck.
Will do. I will take some pictures. The hardest is going to be to run new #6 wires as my panel is on the passenger side of the RV.
Sonnydale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 08:06 AM   #17

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom-NC
Hi, I don't want to throw a monkey wrench into your project and it is nice that you have the drawings but I have a few questions for you to ponder.

There is more to wiring 50A than you think and before I would try to do it I would check with Fleetwood and get their thoughts. Maybe it can be done but by a qualified electrician or the manufacturer or a Fleetwood Dealer.

This is just food for thought and a lot to think about as you don't want to play with electricity and maybe even cause a fire and put your loved ones in danger.

Those are my thoughts and something I would not consider doing on my coach as if the manufacturer thought I needed 50 Amps then they would have put it in.

This is my 50 amp electric pole tester in use at a 50 amp pole.
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1358612277.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	511.2 KB
ID:	40522Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1347965364.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	497.7 KB
ID:	40523

It is indicating - there is 50 amp service on both legs (little light at top of box) no open ground or neutral and 120 VAC on both L1 and L2. Is this what you are referring to as 220 VAC - two 120 volt legs. My S&B must have a gajillion Volts.

If I had 220 I'd be drying clothes a lot quicker - but not sure where I would plug in for it on the road.
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 08:08 AM   #18

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom-NC View Post

Tom, thanks for your thoughts and I will not do anything that would put my familly in danger, but the 50A service is not 220V.(Most people believe it this)

Its actually 2 X 120V @ 50A. All the coach wiring will be up to code except for the shore power which I will need to run #6 wires to accommodate 50A.

Here is a link that explains RV electricity and shows all the different plugs too that cause the confusion.

RV Electric

Sonny
Old 06-11-2013, 08:10 AM   #19

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks Steve,

Those are nice pictures showing the 2 x 120V.
Old 06-11-2013, 08:32 AM   #20

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonnydale
Thanks Steve,

Thanks - Not my invention but was a fun "science project" to do on a recent lake trip.

Link to instructions that were found on a thread here.... http://www.myrv.us/electric/Pg/tester_50amp.htm

By itself, the instructions give a good idea of how 120 / 50 amp VAC works.

Note: sorry for any "tone" in my initial post. Coffee still kicking in... But a little bit of of a mistake here can kill you - perhaps .02 amps if memory serves. I forget things these days - lol - thank goodness for books and the net to remind me.

On edit - I thought I posted pic of my 50 breaker box yesterday but it's not here now. Looks just like the other one with Inverter at the bottom. If you don't have and are adding an inverter - you will need to provide a cutout and place for a breaker - I think it was 20 amp but there goes that memory again - which is why I have pictures.
Old 06-11-2013, 09:08 AM   #21

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonnydale
Thanks Steve,

The instructions I posted are right there in your link!!

Edit - Main Inverter is 30 amp.

Tags
bounder