Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-18-2021, 12:57 PM   #1

35K Poor Headlights

Can anyone provide a good solution to upgrading my headlights? I have seen some different discussions on here but haven't been able to get a good handle on a solution or a couple of different options to look at. I really not looking for cheap, just much better lighting and what ever I need to do to achieve that.

Thanks in advance

Greg R.
Railsbg is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-18-2021, 01:17 PM   #2

Damon Owners Club
First. Make sure your headlights are aimed properly
Old 06-18-2021, 01:21 PM   #3

No idea what coach or chassis you have, but with engine running, check voltage AT THE HEADLIGHTS.

Then at the chassis battery.

Let us know what you get. If more than 1/2 volt or so less at the lights, an inexpensive RELAY will fix it. Instructions if you need them.
Old 06-18-2021, 03:03 PM   #4

The headlights on my Jeep Wrangler were from factory bad. Replaced them with “better” bulbs. Still bad. Replaced them with LED and a world of difference. Do a search for LED’s that can replace your bulbs

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2DR 4WD Sahara, Automatic, Hard Top
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 03:21 PM   #5

Its a 2015 35K bounder. All systems are good, just low beam difficult to see, high beams are somewhat better. Guess I will look around and see if I can find someone that does RV headlight conversions in the Houston TX. area. There has to be a solution somewhere.
Old 06-18-2021, 03:24 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railsbg View Post
Its a 2015 35K bounder. All systems are good, just low beam difficult to see, high beams are somewhat better. Guess I will look around and see if I can find someone that does RV headlight conversions in the Houston TX. area. There has to be a solution somewhere.

Did you check voltage at the bulbs? Is it at least 13 volts when engine running?
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 03:47 PM   #7

Yes, everything is fine going to the lights. This isn't a new issue. I have seen a long thread on this. But no real solutions that someone says these particular replace will work for such and such year model.
Old 06-18-2021, 04:08 PM   #8
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
This has been an issue even as far back as my Bounder (& probably farther). Fleetwood & Ford acknowledged the voltage drop way back then but would do nothing about it. Only real resolution is to do what I did & retrofit to LED lights.
There is great need for a sarcasm font.
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 04:09 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Railsbg --

When I purchased my current coach two years ago my headlights were "beaming upwards" and gave poor lighting of the road. While I had my coach at Cummins Coach Care for coolant change and other minor maintenance work, they adjusted by head lights to the proper position and "wow" what a difference having properly aligned lights made for night time driving!

Additionally, I replaced the cheap OEM bulbs Newmar installed with Sylvania Silverstar Ultra Bulbs that I have in my current Jeep and other vehicles I have owned. My opinion is the Silverstar Ultra provides the best illumination of any "incandescent" head light bulb available. I don't drive my coach enough at night to invest in more expensive LED lights that may be a bit brighter than the Ultrastars.

Assure that your headlights are aligned properly then but some Ultrastar bulbs --> https://www.walmart.com/browse/auto-...32e1346cd9a97d

If you provide make, model and year of your coach we forum members can provide better guidance for your questions. Hope my info is useful.
fagnaml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 04:15 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by fagnaml View Post
Railsbg --

When I purchased my current coach two years ago my headlights were "beaming upwards" and gave poor lighting of the road. While I had my coach at Cummins Coach Care for coolant change and other minor maintenance work, they adjusted by head lights to the proper position and "wow" what a difference having properly aligned lights made for night time driving!

Additionally, I replaced the cheap OEM bulbs Newmar installed with Sylvania Silverstar Ultra Bulbs that I have in my current Jeep and other vehicles I have owned. My opinion is the Silverstar Ultra provides the best illumination of any "incandescent" head light bulb available. I don't drive my coach enough at night to invest in more expensive LED lights that may be a bit brighter than the Ultrastars.

Assure that your headlights are aligned properly then but some Ultrastar bulbs --> https://www.walmart.com/browse/auto-...32e1346cd9a97d

If you provide make, model and year of your coach we forum members can provide better guidance for your questions. Hope my info is useful.
It is provided in a post above. Its a 2015 35K Bounder. V10. I have some emails out to some Headlight conversion companies in Houston. I am going on a month long trip in August and I need to get something done before I leave. Not sure where I could take it just to have the adjustment confirmed.
Old 06-18-2021, 04:24 PM   #11
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Railsbg View Post
It is provided in a post above. Its a 2015 35K Bounder. V10. ....
Do everybody a favor who wants to help you: create a signature with your year/make/model of RV in it (User CP > Edit Signature. Then be sure you enable signature viewing via the Thread Display Options). This way your RV data will show with EVERY post you make & members don't have to keep asking you for it, especially because the make isn't in your Profile info (just the year/model).
There is great need for a sarcasm font.
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 04:26 PM   #12

Damon Owners Club
You can do the adjustment, or at least check it yourself. You just need a flat surface, and a plain wall for the headlights to shine against. You can go on YouTube and search for headlight adjustment or headlight aiming and that will get you started
Old 06-18-2021, 04:44 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLOVNIT View Post
Do everybody a favor who wants to help you: create a signature with your year/make/model of RV in it (User CP > Edit Signature. Then be sure you enable signature viewing via the Thread Display Options). This way your RV data will show with EVERY post you make & members don't have to keep asking you for it, especially because the make isn't in your Profile info (just the year/model).
Not sure where to find the thread display options. I think I may have the other stuff entered now. Been wondering about that.
Old 06-18-2021, 06:10 PM   #14

My Poor Visibility Headlights That the thread you read? It covers everything. Aiming, voltage, aftermarket junk...

If you found the voltage to be OK at the lights, you didn't check it right. It's low. Every F53 is.

tderonne is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
headlight, headlights, light, lights