Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-15-2022, 04:34 PM   #1

37v Discovery Mystery Fluid in Closet Slide

On three out of 10 trips I've noticed an oderless mystery fluid (either hydraulic fluid or diesel?) in the closet: the closet is a slideout. The 1st time this happened was the worst as the fluid seemed to have sprayed on the clothes in the rear of the closet. It was also wicking up the cedar wood of the closet (see photo) and on top of the carpet.. I've searched multiple times under the rig looking for traces of fluid, but no luck. I cannot see a path for fluid from the engine compartment to enter the slide.

I've had this rig (1999 Discovery 37V) for about 20 months and used her on approximately 10 trips totalling about 13,000 miles.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20221111_152150.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	197.5 KB
ID:	380990  
1969SSCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-15-2022, 05:11 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Do you see anything similiar on the bed frame next to where the slide meets up to it, or anywhere in between when it's out?
Can you see anything under the slide when it's out or if you look up under the slide near the mechanism can you see anything?
un4givn85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2022, 09:50 AM   #3

Unfortunately I don’t see a trace of any fluid/leaks. I'm hoping someone on this forum experienced the same problem? Thank you for the reponse.
Old 11-16-2022, 09:52 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Unfortunately, but also thankfully, I have not seen this on mine or heard of it.
Hopefully you can find something out, someone on here probably knows.
un4givn85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2022, 01:51 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1969SSCamaro View Post
On three out of 10 trips I've noticed an oderless mystery fluid (either hydraulic fluid or diesel?) in the closet: the closet is a slideout. The 1st time this happened was the worst as the fluid seemed to have sprayed on the clothes in the rear of the closet. It was also wicking up the cedar wood of the closet (see photo) and on top of the carpet.. I've searched multiple times under the rig looking for traces of fluid, but no luck. I cannot see a path for fluid from the engine compartment to enter the slide.

I've had this rig (1999 Discovery 37V) for about 20 months and used her on approximately 10 trips totalling about 13,000 miles.

Diesel for sure you could smell.
Old 11-22-2022, 01:06 PM   #6

Mystery fluid

Diesel has a very noticeable smell. Since it is diesel I assume air brakes. So only other thing I can think of is hydraulic. Clear odorless should feel like slippery to touch.
dmorris189 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2022, 01:35 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The water heater is on the right side near the slide at the rear of the coach isn't it?

Check the cold water in, hot water out fittings on the inside for leaks. The plastic fittings used by Fleetwood up to about 2009 were known to crack or break.

Tags
cover, discovery, fluid, slide