RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-30-2019, 08:57 AM   #1
CLR

6 speed trans owner only please

I know the 5-star tuning has helped the 5 speed owners.

My question is, has anyone with the six speed trans changed their tune with 5 star or similar product? We have spent the last 4 months running the Colorado Plateau, and the trans seems to always be shifting when it should not. Well at least that is what it feels.

Would love to hear if you did it and if you felt it was worth doing.
BOA #6616 Sunshine Roos
CLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-30-2019, 09:42 AM   #2

Not a 6 spied owner but have you tried running in tow haul mode?
GBRG07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 09:57 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBRG07 View Post
Not a 6 spied owner but have you tried running in tow haul mode?
That’s actually good advice for the 6 speed.....

OP, you need to remember that the transmission programming was done to keep the engine in the better part of its power-band dependent upon load. It has more gears than a 3 or 4 speed etc. for this very reason. There are times, however, when the transmission does seem to hunt for the right gear. During those times, I will toggle the tow-haul as well as kill the cruise control in order to help it make up its mind or to gain speed on a downhill where otherwise the transmission control unit would downshift once or twice to try and maintain CC speed.
Big-Foot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 06:39 AM   #4

Once our 6-speed got the firmware upgrade for better downshifting, it ran very well and never considered the 5-Star kit.
Lots of RV Information at www.dmbruss.com
Dale & Mark Bruss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 09:16 AM   #5
CLR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale & Mark Bruss View Post
Once our 6-speed got the firmware upgrade for better downshifting, it ran very well and never considered the 5-Star kit.
What Firmware upgrade are you referring to? Is this done at a Ford Dealer?
Thanks in advance
BOA #6616 Sunshine Roos
Old 10-02-2019, 11:00 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLR View Post
What Firmware upgrade are you referring to? Is this done at a Ford Dealer?
Thanks in advance
When the 6 speed was first introduced, early in 2016, some came out not downshifting, when the brake was pressed.

It took Ford a while to get to it, but they did.

TSB 16-0106

ISSUE:
Some 2016-2017 F-53 Motorhome Chassis and F-59 Commercial Stripped Chassis vehicles equipped with a 6.8L engine and built on or before 6/20/2016 may exhibit a no transmission downshift when descending a grade in Tow/Haul mode.
ACTION:
Follow the Service Procedure steps to correct the condition. dealers must have a*IDS update of 101*or later and it involves a reprogram of ecm/tcm .
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 11:57 AM   #7

Mine is 6 speed. I drive with tow haul mode and cruise control on. I think it works great up and down hills. Seems to be in the right gear all the time.
Old 10-06-2019, 09:15 AM   #8
CLR

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
When the 6 speed was first introduced, early in 2016, some came out not downshifting, when the brake was pressed.

It took Ford a while to get to it, but they did.

TSB 16-0106

ISSUE:
Some 2016-2017 F-53 Motorhome Chassis and F-59 Commercial Stripped Chassis vehicles equipped with a 6.8L engine and built on or before 6/20/2016 may exhibit a no transmission downshift when descending a grade in Tow/Haul mode.
ACTION:
Follow the Service Procedure steps to correct the condition. dealers must have a*IDS update of 101*or later and it involves a reprogram of ecm/tcm .
Thanks for this information.
BOA #6616 Sunshine Roos
Old 10-06-2019, 11:22 PM   #9

I had a 2013 and added 5 star tune
I now have a 2018, sent the box back to 5 star and they
reprogrammed it for the new transmission.
The main difference is the shifting points. The 5 star tune
does not shift into a higher gear as quickly and downshifts are earlier.
I tow a toad and also use tow/haul.
I run in the mountains a lot and prefer the shifting points on the 5 star much better than stock.
Whether it is worth the 500.00 is debatable
Jimg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 06:42 AM   #10

I have a 2019 w/six speed and 5 Star tune. Very pleased with one exception. We're always towing so also using TH. On long down grades after I've tapped the brakes enough to get in low gear, once we either reach the bottom or close to it, I can't get it to upshift soon enough. Pressing the gas peddle won't do it. Pretty much just have to wait till it's ready. It can seem like an eternity when the tach is banging on the red line. I may contact 5 Star this winter and see if they can tweak it some.
Old 10-10-2019, 07:52 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSuper View Post
I have a 2019 w/six speed and 5 Star tune. Very pleased with one exception. We're always towing so also using TH. On long down grades after I've tapped the brakes enough to get in low gear, once we either reach the bottom or close to it, I can't get it to upshift soon enough. Pressing the gas peddle won't do it. Pretty much just have to wait till it's ready. It can seem like an eternity when the tach is banging on the red line. I may contact 5 Star this winter and see if they can tweak it some.
I experience the same thing on occasion and don't have a 5 star tune.

I've been just riding it out. Next time I'll try switch off tow/haul to see if it shifts.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 08:13 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
I have a 6-speed and 5-Star Tune. Like a few others I think it helps a little but I don’t think it’s worth $500.

I had a class C with the 5-Speed and hated the shifting. So when we sold that and got te Class A with the 6-speed I automatically ordered the Tune before I really knew if I needed it. I installed it within the first 800 miles of use.

After about 10,000 miles I started thinking the Tune was hurting my gas mileage and to test this I reverted back to stock and kept it that way for 1,000 miles. Then I reinstalled the Tune and drove another 1000 mi.

I found that it seemed to be a minor improvement in performance, mostly tip in on accelerating from a stop. And that there was a slight hit to mileage, probably due to accelerating harder on my part. I saw my mileage go for 6.5 to 6.4 over the 2000 mile test.

If I knew that this would be the result I would probably not have purchased the Tune.

Also, I use my cruise control all the time and even though I’m towing a toad I never use tow haul except on steep downgrades.

For those stuck in a low gear at the bottom of a hill just turn off tow haul for a second and it will upshift almost immediately.