Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-05-2013, 05:21 PM   #1

91 Bounder battery hookup needed- mine were stolen

I just realized I had my batteries stole. All 3 of them . Now, the battery on right upper is for motor. Other 2 in carriage are for house. Question is if someone has a couple pics they could send me and also do all batteries have to be connected to appropriate cables in order for engine to start [all 3 in tandem}. I put battery on just engine and not the other 2 and didn't even get headlights on so clearly no juice from just one battery. Very frustrating!!
istallionjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-05-2013, 05:28 PM   #2

Vintage RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Heartland RV Club
Well IIRC you should have just a chassis battery on that rig that should run all the chassis stuff and it should be 12v

The house batterys should be 2 6v hooked up in series

I dont think all 3 should be hooked together, there will be a emergency start for the engine, that is run from the house batteries but that should be a hot wire going to a selinoid

Givin that you should just hook the + & - up to the chassis wires/battery and you should be good to go
F239141 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 05:31 PM   #3
Community Administrator

Welcome to IRV 2. Sorry to hear that someone did that to you. There are members here that I know can help you. Good luck.

Cliff

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 09:30 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by F239141 View Post
Well IIRC you should have just a chassis battery on that rig that should run all the chassis stuff and it should be 12v

I dont think all 3 should be hooked together, there will be a emergency start for the engine, that is run from the house batteries but that should be a hot wire going to a selinoid

Givin that you should just hook the + & - up to the chassis wires/battery and you should be good to go
When I just hooked up regular battery to chssis and used marine terminals, I did't get any power at all, not on ignition, headlights,etc

The layout is this
Batt 1 in carriage on left-- has neg black to frame, white to control panel that goes with neg and pos to solenoid above it

Batt2 in carriage has 2 pos that I think would go on it yet free hanging but in that area and then run link from pos on 1 to neg on 2

Batt 3 {chassis} clearly has a neg,ground white and one hot unless one of the 2 reds i refer to that I think go on Batt2 goes on chassis as well but dont think so.. Thoughts?
Old 01-05-2013, 09:35 PM   #5

Quote:

Also , if my memory is right, the 2 house batteries were 12 volt and not 6 and I am kind of confused there. Will 2 12 volts be ok as I have read they can be but just shorter life and less hours for dry camp? I am actually in process of selling this one and need to move it from current location to finish the complete remodel I am 75% done with
Old 01-05-2013, 10:04 PM   #6

Quote:

Also I didn't mean to hook all 3 up as stated. They all tie into the central control panel in one way or another and just thought that with all of them not going through whatever is in there, it may not allow all to work in there. Mechanically inclined yet not a pro
Old 01-06-2013, 12:58 PM   #7

Vintage RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Heartland RV Club
Ok Here is the diagram I talked to you about, its crude, but it shows how the 3 batteries would be hooked up

If you have 2 12v coach then the (+) goes to (+) and (-) to (-) when connecting the 2 batteries and not like the serries setup I have shown in the diagram

In the battery bay you should only see 4 wires 2 red 2 black, one set goes to coach, other to chassis, the jumper wire to connect the 2 coach may of been stole with the battries

I know this dont look like your setup but Im not used to it with the "control pannel" this is how I set up, and I hope it can point you in the right direction
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	coachchassis.jpg
Views:	1540
Size:	37.6 KB
ID:	31514  
F239141 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 12:12 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Print these diagrams from an '89 Bounder (should be close enough) and hook the batteries up as shown.

The two house batteries ARE 6volts and need to be hooked up in series (as you stated earlier). The chassis battery is 12volts.

The house battery (I think the one you are calling #2) is the one that has the most positive wires (cables) attached. Look carefully for smaller sized wires that may have fallen out of sight that also need to be attached to the chassis positive.

Good luck and don't be afraid to ask further questions.
Old Bounder is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, bounder