Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-23-2012, 11:08 AM   #1

92 pace arrow igniton help

Well sometimes we need to ask for help and Im hoping someone can give me a hint as to what to do next.
After replacing the old power convertor I can only get it started when the rig is plugged into an outside power source ... I have to depress the aux start button and if its not hooked up, I get nothing at the ignition! Ive replaced solenoids delay relays and all the fuses are fine... anyone have any suggestion? Many thanks! Pete.
Pete C is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-23-2012, 12:51 PM   #2

Vintage RV Owners Club
Sounds like your chassis battery is flat/missing/or the cables are dirty. You should be able to start using only your chassis battery. No need for aux start. What chassis do you have?
87Rockwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 01:04 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
I do not know about a 92 but on a 91 you have two relays that control the house and
chassis batteries. Sounds like a problem with the chassis relay not engaged.

Art
wb7auk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 03:09 PM   #4

Thanks for the responses ... the batteries are fully charged with clean terminals but when the key is turned I get nothing ... only when the outside power is hooked up and the aux start is depressed does it start... so maybe the main battery disconnect switch is the problem!

Its a Chevy chassis with a 454. Thanks again Ill be taking all advice I can get and trying again tomorrow!

Any recommended parts dealers that have electrical parts/switches out there?
Old 05-23-2012, 04:35 PM   #5

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Trace the negative chassis battery cable back to it's ground point, remove and clean the ground. If there is no chassis ground it could be getting to ground by the aux start circuit.

Wanabee FTer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 04:43 PM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Pete I bet you will find the main battery relay is the problem with age the contacts
fail and on mine I found a fuse in the control line that you can not get too unless you
remove the panel to see the relay.

Art
wb7auk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 05:52 PM   #7

Thats sounds like it may be the culprit! I pulled the panel off before but didnt really inspect anything ... I will take a look and see if theres a blown fuse, if not I will replace the battery disconnect switch itself .. many thanks Art, John and Rockwood!
Old 05-29-2012, 08:11 AM   #8

Still working on it! I replaced the switches and the solenoids again but still no luck... Ill be working on it today, I plan on taking all the cables off and following the wiring diagrams to a T ...
Old 06-12-2012, 02:21 PM   #9

Wow, I dont know why, but now I turn the key and it sounds like the batteries are dead ... the starter barely turns ... but, I put a multi-meter on them and the batteries are fully charged...? Im afraid Ill never get this thing figured out! Any ideas would be most welcome...thanks!
Old 06-12-2012, 02:58 PM   #10

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Pete,

Check the starter for excessive draw, a clamp on amp meter would be best, but I think an auto parts store can bench test the starter for you. Only problem is you would have to remove the starter for the bench test. Call some auto parts stores in your area and see if they rent an clamping amp meter.

Wanabee FTer is offline   Reply With Quote