Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-26-2021, 06:25 PM   #1

92 Pace Arrow wonít start

Hello All- being new to the forum, of course I start with a problem I’m experiencing with our 1992 Pacearrow P30 Chevy 454 . Got it out of storage this spring and as usual with winter storage needed to hit aux button on dash to start . Started up, ran fine , got it home and tried to start nothing - did manage to get it started with aux button and put into its summer spot . In process tested engine battery and it was bad- put new battery in and nothing , engine won’t start!

What I’ve done thus far , new starter, new alternator and cleaned battery cables . Perplexed why it’s not starting , got power as dash lights come on with key in on position, just not wanting to turn over - any help would be extremely appreciated!!
Scot2scot is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-26-2021, 10:32 PM   #2

First:
I would check for 12+ power at the battery cable at the starter first.

Second check for 12+ power at the starter solenoid, when the key is turned.

Third check for any loose or bad ground straps/connections.

Get back with us as to what you find.

There are many other tests, but you want to verify that you have power and ground to the starter first.
Old 05-27-2021, 07:11 AM   #3

Thank you - I need to invest in a volt meter so I’ll let you know what I find out- I have checked all fuses and the like , nothing appears out of sorts - I do find it interesting that with the battery charged up when I turn the key to the on position, I’m not even getting A 10 volt reading level on the dash volt meter- not sure that means anything ?? Also, I’ve had a few people also mention of checking ground connections and got to say, not sure what that means or what I should be looking for ....??
Old 05-28-2021, 10:17 AM   #4

have you cleaned the wire connections lately?? i mean really clean.. wire brush the ends until they are bright and shiny .. the cable its self could be bad.. i have found the cables at the disconnect sw get very dirty.. and each one needs cleaned,, and the lugs need cleaned and nuts.. take cell picts 1st there are too many to remember.. do one at time.. and take the neg cable off all batts 1st or you will short something..its time comsumming and cheapest.. did you have old started tested at big box store?? if not do so.. same with alt.. then use good batt spray sealer to reseal wires.. that is what the red paint stuff you will find on the wires.. if it is still there.. and check the disconnect sw too they go bad and only make part connection.. you can pull them apart and clean them or just put new ones on and save old ones to clean up and keep as spares.. good luck.. let us know what you did..
donr103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 01:53 AM   #5

Hi , yes - I have taken battery cable lugs off and clean them . I did get the mh to start with aux button but experienced some type of short etc.. as engine battery got very hot and threw both breakers associated with converter ? Wondering if i need to snip ends of cables off and replace lugs. Surprised converter breakers tripped as mh was not plugged to shore power and didnt think converter played a role at all with engine motor running -
Old 05-30-2021, 01:58 PM   #6

wa your gen on?? then it would.. have your charged new batt.. at this point.. i would hook up a long wire test light.. 12v any old bulb.. so you can see it from diver seat.. to the cranking side of starter.. the purple wire..and see if lights when you crank..or have helper look for light.. just be careful .. there are alot of amps down there.. short the wrong thing and it can be very bad.. ( i only warn you because you do not have a volt tester and that tells me you dont do this every day).. now the connections i am talking about are on your aux start relay and disconnect sws.. if you dont know what i am writing about have a moble tech do it.. you might be smoking the aux start relay.. the new starter is not binding?? that is where i would go.. good luck!! keep us posted.. i would like to find out how you did.. pict of your aux start and disconncects would help..
donr103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2021, 02:07 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scot2scot View Post
Hello All- being new to the forum, of course I start with a problem Iím experiencing with our 1992 Pacearrow P30 Chevy 454 . Got it out of storage this spring and as usual with winter storage needed to hit aux button on dash to start . Started up, ran fine , got it home and tried to start nothing - did manage to get it started with aux button and put into its summer spot . In process tested engine battery and it was bad- put new battery in and nothing , engine wonít start!

What Iíve done thus far , new starter, new alternator and cleaned battery cables . Perplexed why itís not starting , got power as dash lights come on with key in on position, just not wanting to turn over - any help would be extremely appreciated!!

Not starting or not turning over?
If it started before installing new battery, check wiring.
Old 06-01-2021, 03:52 AM   #8

I would also replace the solenoid (should be on the firewall up front). In fact, I'd be inclined to replace it and the B.I.R.D and the Isolator relay delay.
VIN#1GBJP37N4R3314754
udidwht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 04:36 PM   #9

Udidwht- just to clarify , what are you indicating to replace - wasnít sure if we are talking two or three items . I have ordered the battery isolator attached to the firewall-
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	53B2DAFC-6388-4F7B-A411-910ED41CD993.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	77.1 KB
ID:	330689  
Old 06-03-2021, 10:11 PM   #10

This was mine just before I replaced all (3) of the items...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/p0bkvn3m9n...23145.jpg?dl=0

I purchased the following items....

1. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

2. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

3. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Be sure the starter wiring is clean, clean, clean. I'd remove the wiring brush it up and snug it all back up. Use a dab of Super lube dielectric grease to keep it all from rusting/oxidizing up. Check all the grounds as well.
VIN#1GBJP37N4R3314754
Old 06-04-2021, 06:23 AM   #11

Thanks for the product links - I got the first item you linked at fleetwood for a fair amount more . Anyway - where do you find the solenoid in the 3rd link in the motor home ?
Old 06-04-2021, 08:51 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scot2scot View Post
Thanks for the product links - I got the first item you linked at fleetwood for a fair amount more . Anyway - where do you find the solenoid in the 3rd link in the motor home ?
Mine is located up front side (behind engine cover) on the firewall. I'm not even 100 percent certain it was put there by Fleetwood though. These year RVs were fairly simple compared to today's setups (which I like).

I ended up replacing all 3 given their age. And the solenoid I know was acting up because I could hear it chattering when going down the road.

Post on the Fleetwood thread and see if anyone there can narrow down the location of it. Of start up front and follow some wire harnesses and see where they lead.
VIN#1GBJP37N4R3314754
Old 06-05-2021, 11:28 AM   #13

So I have all 3 parts coming to replace as they are all original to the motor home - I did located the solenoid, it’s sitting just to the left(passenger side) of the battery bank mounted atop of the hydraulic leveling jack pump, overall looks pretty easy to remove and replace -
Old 06-05-2021, 11:49 AM   #14

Great!

To simplify replacing everything take some pics prior to removing the wiring.
VIN#1GBJP37N4R3314754

Tags
ace